PDA

View Full Version : Water in oil-What should I do??????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-22-2002, 09:15 PM
I just ran this boat for the first time. The motor is a 455 olds with a mild cam. The intake manifold is leaking oil and I have water in the oil,valve covers, and oil filler neck. I call 4 local shops and they all pretty much told me the same thing. They said 455 olds have a problem with thier intakes and timing covers leaking. Is this true or what? I checked all the plugs and they all look the same and good. It still runs good with no noises. I am pulling the timing cover and intake tonight. What do you guys think? What are some of your guys past experiences with 455 (oil problem having) olds? What did you do to fix it?
Thanks guys,Michael
396_Ways_Ta_Get_Mad_About_Oil_In_Water! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BrendellaJet
08-23-2002, 09:24 AM
My dad had this problem with his 455. To fix, we used 3M weatherstrip adhesive on the water ports of the head and intake. This is a common fix from what I understand. You can get it at your local auto supply. Be carefull though, that stuff is sticky.

sdmarkus
08-23-2002, 01:22 PM
I've got the same problem with mine. Not to mention all the oil blowing out the breathers. So much damn work every time I take it out. I really hope I can remedy this problem once and for all.
Mark :mad:

Wet Dream
08-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Do you have an aluminum intake or cast? One thing I noticed with my aluminum intake is that there is a huge gap between the heads and the intake. I was a little worried that it might not mate properly since it was going to take a lot of torqing. #1...do not use the valley pan if you have an aluminum intake. Goop all passages heavily with gasketmaker (I used blue).
#2 put your bolts in, tighten all bolts evenly. What I mean is thread them all by hand, until you need a socket. Then, work the gap out evenly, take 1 full turn on each bolt until it begins to bottom out. You torque sequence is totally opposite of what most other engines are. Looking at the engine with the filler neck in your face,
1 front left corner
2 front right corner
3 back left corner
4 back right corner
5 in front of 4
6 in front of 3
7 behind 1
8 behind 2
9 behind 8
10 behind 7
11 behind 10
12 behind 9
3 4
6 5
11 12
10 9
7 8
1 2
Initally torque to 15lbs then retorque in sequence to 40lbs.
One the water pump plate, goop all passages and crisscross the tightening like you would lugs on a wheel. Hope this helps.

luvmyboat
08-24-2002, 07:36 PM
....Do you have an aluminum intake or cast? One thing I noticed with my aluminum intake is that there is a huge gap between the heads and the intake. I was a little worried that it might not mate properly since it was going to take a lot of torqing...
I bought an intake manifold from a speed shop and it didn't come with directions, *what directions?* there is 'sposed to be a cast plug that goes into the hioles. The holes/gaps in the heads are a heat transfer that is 'sposed to be plugged off or the heat will cause a WATER LEAK! ( per Vic Edelbrock ) I fought with water leaks for MONTHS until I brought my manifold to Edelbrock to have it checked for trueness. I was mouthing off to a gentleman about how "switching manifolds from cast iron to the Edelbrock" was a huge mistake when the gentleman told me about the plugs. Turns out the guy was Vic Edlebrock. He was great, when he realized that a speed shop had sold me the manifold without the plugs and instructions ( USE the plugs! ), he gave me a new manifold and plugs.