PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with irrigation . . . .

Lightning
09-10-2005, 07:51 AM
I turned on the sprinklers the other morning and one side of the system works fine, but the other side barely has any pressure at all, I mean not even enough to pop up the sprinkler heads all the way. I thought that was wierd, let me check it again in a few days. Turned them on this morning and the same thing. I checked to make sure all hoses bibs around the house were turned off (they were) thinking this may be causing a drop in pressure. Anyone have any ideas ? ? ? ?

Man-de-lone
09-10-2005, 07:54 AM
Might be a break in the lines somewhere causing the loss in pressure. Possibly also something jammed in the valve plugging it up... More likely theres a broken elbow or nipple somewhere..

riverroyal
09-10-2005, 07:54 AM
turn it on,get a tiny screw driver and turn the set screws on the sprinkler head clockwise to slow the flow on them,,,,this will increase the pressure on the rest,,,,,now go to the ones that arent flowing and turn them counter clockwise,opening them up more,,,,,,you will get wet,its a good 1st step,some how the pressure isnt getting to the other side.....that make since?

Mrs. casean
09-10-2005, 08:02 AM
See my post on RRL... might help, might not...

Lightning
09-10-2005, 08:04 AM
turn it on,get a tiny screw driver and turn the set screws on the sprinkler head clockwise to slow the flow on them,,,,this will increase the pressure on the rest,,,,,now go to the ones that arent flowing and turn them counter clockwise,opening them up more,,,,,,you will get wet,its a good 1st step,some how the pressure isnt getting to the other side.....that make since?
What you're saying makes sense . . . . but there is no significant pressure coming out of these lines.....
There is two valves, one for the north side of the house and one for the south. The north side works no problem, the south side was working fine and everything was adjusted properly. Turned them off one day and then on the next and now they have what seems like 1/2 the pressure.

Lightning
09-10-2005, 08:07 AM
Might be a break in the lines somewhere causing the loss in pressure. Possibly also something jammed in the valve plugging it up... More likely theres a broken elbow or nipple somewhere..
That's what I was thinking (and hoping not) it might be.
By the way, Devra's client has only the nicest things to say about the work you are doing for her. She is really happy with what you guys have done and said, more or less, you rock!!!

boatnam2
09-10-2005, 08:32 AM
are they on the same valve?

C-2
09-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Check the valve itself, make sure it's open (didn't get closed by a dog or something brushing up against it).
Make sure no water is leaking out of one side of the valve.
Check to see if you have an inline water pressure regulators - if so, tighten then loosen again.
The valve itself might have gone bad, they last from 1-4 years IME (I just replaced 4 of them)
Otherwise you've got a broke sprinkler head somewhere.
How many sprinklers is the valve driving?

boatnam2
09-10-2005, 08:39 AM
never mind just seen there not.

boatnam2
09-10-2005, 08:40 AM
id say it is the valve not getting a signal to open up or plugged.a broken line should show it ugly head unless you live on granite.

Hustler
09-10-2005, 08:46 AM
I just went through this. go get your self a new valve and change it out. I will bet that fix's it.

Lightning
09-10-2005, 08:56 AM
I just went through this. go get your self a new valve and change it out. I will bet that fix's it.
I just changed the valve a month or so back, since the old one was about 20 years old. Keep in mind, it's the old school manual valves.
Check the valve itself, make sure it's open (didn't get closed by a dog or something brushing up against it).
Make sure no water is leaking out of one side of the valve.
Check to see if you have an inline water pressure regulators - if so, tighten then loosen again.
The valve itself might have gone bad, they last from 1-4 years IME (I just replaced 4 of them)
Otherwise you've got a broke sprinkler head somewhere.
How many sprinklers is the valve driving?
I checked the valve, it's all good. There is no pressure regulator that I have seen on the system. The system drives about 8 sprinkler heads.

HM
09-10-2005, 08:58 AM
I had a similar problem in my new house. Turned out to be a cracked pipe. Took a week or so for it to rear its ugly head.....pipe was cracked under a walkway - I had to breakup a section of the walk way to get to it. Looked like they may have nicked the pipe puting in the walkway, but it took 16 years for it to finally give.
I just moved into this house and it is on 1/3 of an acre with 12 sprinkler stations and I have no idea how many sprinklers. I have been trouble shooting it for a month and have run into almost any problem that ever existed! I am about ready to start my own irrigation company. I even know how to "witch" for underground sprinkler pipes. Just got my first water bill too....$350, dote.

Lightning
09-10-2005, 09:04 AM
I had a similar problem in my new house. Turned out to be a cracked pipe. Took a week or so for it to rear its ugly head.....pipe was cracked under a walkway - I had to breakup a section of the walk way to get to it. Looked like they may have nicked the pipe puting in the walkway, but it took 16 years for it to finally give.
I just moved into this house and it is on 1/3 of an acre with 12 sprinkler stations and I have no idea how many sprinklers. I have been trouble shooting it for a month and have run into almost any problem that ever existed! I am about ready to start my own irrigation company. I even know how to "witch" for underground sprinkler pipes. Just got my first water bill too....$350, dote.
Sounds like fun. I think I will be doing some digging this weekend . . .

Man-de-lone
09-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Tighten down the sprinkler screw heads to shut them to the lowest flow. Then turn on the valve and let it run. Then go looking for a mud puddle or a fountain... I had a broken schedule 40 pipe and my lawn humped up like a freekin' camel....I popped that water bubble like a giant zit and it gushed all over, but it was pretty obvious where it was.

Rockdog
09-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Before you start digging, take the head out of the first and last sprinler on the line. If water comes out the first one, the problem is down the line, if it doesn't come out the first one, it's somewhere between it and the valve. Most likely you got some dirt in it when switching out the valve and it's plugged the heads, that's why you took out the last one - if there's dirt in the line it should flush out the line, and you'll probally have to take off the heads and clean out the filters.

Wonderboy
09-10-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm sure you've checked all your sprinklers already, but last time this happened to me it was cause the gardner de-capitated one of my sprinkler heads.

bchbum
09-10-2005, 05:00 PM
If you changed out a valve , you might have glue in the nozzles or in the screens under them

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-10-2005, 05:07 PM
sounds like the valve has something stuck in it.. wether it be mud, small rock, or glue.. take the valve aprt and check the orings.. you may have a tear in one and it plugged the valve.
or turn off the house water and then check the water meter and see if it is moving. that will tell you if you have a cracked pipe. If the valve is before the house shut off. :wink:

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-10-2005, 05:18 PM
after a 12 pack,i can IRRIGATE BIG TIME :wink:
LMAO!! :)

Mandelon
09-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Just FYI, Ari found a broken nipple under one of the heads......
Man----->got that one right<-----delon :p

spectratoad
09-12-2005, 07:27 AM
NNOOOOOOO NOT A BROKEN NIPPLE!!!!!! :D :D

mike37
09-12-2005, 07:37 AM
I just changed the valve a month or so back, since the old one was about 20 years old. Keep in mind, it's the old school manual valves.
I checked the valve, it's all good. There is no pressure regulator that I have seen on the system. The system drives about 8 sprinkler heads.
you just answered you own question
you changed the valve and got dirt in the lines
remove all sprinkler heads just the pop up part not the hole thing and turn on the valve let it run hard for a minute then sloe it down to a trickle and replace the tips
if thats doesn't fix it remove the valve you may have dirt before the valve
keep us posted

mike37
09-12-2005, 07:40 AM
guess I shuda read the inter thread before posting