PDA

View Full Version : What would these do for performance

bigq
02-22-2003, 09:37 AM
I saw these and I am woundering how they would help performance?
http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/505/107COURT.jpg

rustyk
02-22-2003, 09:49 AM
not sure but eliminator at Houston boat show had them on one.
rk

Havasu Hangin'
02-22-2003, 09:51 AM
I would think it's the same as on a V-Bottom...keeps the nose down...either for porpoising or flying level.

bigq
02-22-2003, 10:04 AM
How would they differ from the other way of puttinh them in the tunnel portion. I have always seen them in the tunnel, not the outside sponsons. It seems it would give the boat more running surface hence more leverage working in concert with any trim on the drive that is used.Don't really understand it though. :confused:

Havasu Hangin'
02-22-2003, 10:12 AM
bigq:
How would they differ from the other way of puttinh them in the tunnel portion. I have always seen them in the tunnel, not the outside sponsons. It seems it would give the boat more running surface hence more leverage working in concert with any trim on the drive that is used.Don't really understand it though.A tunnel tab will do the same as tabs at slow speed (like to help planing), but pack more air in the tunnel at higher speeds. More air may make the boat ride higher, but not necessarily keep the nose down.
If a manufacturer needs to control the running surface (and nose down) at higher speeds (a tunnel tab is usually out of the water at higher speeds), then tabs will work...
...but I'm not an expert.
PS- Also, maybe a tunnel tab wouldn't fit on that single engine cat.
[ February 22, 2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

bigq
02-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Havasu Hangin':
bigq:
How would they differ from the other way of puttinh them in the tunnel portion. I have always seen them in the tunnel, not the outside sponsons. It seems it would give the boat more running surface hence more leverage working in concert with any trim on the drive that is used.Don't really understand it though.A tunnel tab will do the same as tabs at slow speed (like to help planing), but pack more air in the tunnel at higher speeds. More air may make the boat ride higher, but not necessarily keep the nose down.
If a manufacturer needs to control the running surface (and nose down) at higher speeds (a tunnel tab is usually out of the water at higher speeds), then tabs will work...
...but I'm not an expert.
PS- Also, maybe a tunnel tab wouldn't fit on that single engine cat. good call, that all makes sense actually. :D

gmnhra
02-22-2003, 11:29 AM
i have single step 25' daytona and the 60-75 mph porpoise drove me nuts...also running a big prop, getting on plane was an issue....my kids still like to wake board (yes wakeboard behind a 25' cat.....)so slow planing was a problem..
i put those exact tabs from dana on and they are fantastic...drop em down to get on plane and run em up at speed..the boat runs on rails at all speeds and no porpoise at any speed....
gary

jm2drvr
02-22-2003, 09:25 PM
I put those tabs on my 23' warrior, was able to go from a 30 to a 32 pitch prop...6 people in the boat, two full tanks of gas, no problem planing. Took care of the propoise on flat water also between 50-60mph. Best $800 I spent.