PDA

View Full Version : ANY WELDERS in the house!!!!!

Clown
02-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Was just out in the garage welding some stainless
For my new turbo headers.
Usually I would just go to a friends shop and weld them up but seeing as how I have a new welder
Figured I would do them in the garage"WRONG"
I allways use contact cleaner to clean the part before welding, At my buddys shop its not a big deal
In my little 700sf air tight meaning no draft's
Garage ,I was just about knocked on my ASS because of the fumes, After taking a breath and READING the WARNING Label on the can of Contact cleaner.
I learned that welding around this stuff creates
PHOSGANE GASSES .
So my question is what do you guys use to clean parts ,Before welding. idea

Unchained
02-16-2003, 06:10 PM
George,
Were the parts real oily?
Is that why you used the contact cleaner?
Maybe mineral spirits would be a little less toxic.
The stainless tubing that I got from Jeg's I just sawed it up and welded away. I didn't do any extra cleaning. It welded real nice and I didn't get any porosity.
You're using new stainless tubing aren't you ?
Did I tell you that I won a cutting torch in a welding contest when I was 18 yrs old?
Mark

cyclone
02-16-2003, 07:05 PM
Prepsol or Acetone would probably work. I dont weld stainless that often, but for steel i usually take the part over the the bench grinder and using the soft wire wheel, clean the coating off.

FastTimmy
02-16-2003, 08:09 PM
Yep, Acetone is the way to go for sure. Just don't sook your gloves and strick an arc. Can you say fire ball!
What stainless grade are you using for your headers? How about the rod?

Clown
02-16-2003, 08:25 PM
What stainless grade are you using for your headers? How about the rod? [/QB]304 For the tubes & 316 rod
Have had alot of luck with the contact cleaner in the past , But then again that was not in a tight garage where Fumes Linger in the air.!!!
Mark Did you get those tubes I sent with the Tanks.
:D

Unchained
02-17-2003, 04:55 AM
George, I got the 8 J bends, I'll buy those from you and make up another set of turbo headers once I get caught up on my other projects.
One thing I noticed during this turbo installation project is how many local people seem to have this "It won't work" opinion, Which seems to apply to the turbo's as well as the EFI system.
Once you and I finish and get the dyno numbers I guess that will tell the story.

Cantrip
02-17-2003, 02:36 PM
froggystyle used to do welding in the navy and I have seen his work, he's good, ask him.

Froggystyle
02-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Howdy.
Cantrip is right, I was an HT welder for a couple of years before taking a right turn into the teams... I can weld the crack of dawn if you hold it still! hehe (still love that one)
Regarding welding stainless... acetone is more than enough for great cleanliness. Nice thing about ss is it welds hot and burns out a lot of your impurities, and leaves them on the surface for polishing out.
I don't know where you are located, but I have a couple of books laying around somewhere indicating the C.L.A.M.s for the various stainless rods. Let me know if you need them.

schiada96
02-17-2003, 05:27 PM
If the material is real bad you can have it passivated before weld. And to weld 304 a better choice for rod is 308, it wont crack as easy.

eliminator777
02-18-2003, 05:40 AM
Normaly when you weld stainless you clean joints with alchol I worked in nuke power plants as heli arc welder for over 20 years no mater were i worked procedure was always the same. :D :D :p

skeepwerkzaz
02-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Another safety note guys.......(not to be your mom,but)
Any solvent that ends in _____tone soaks into the skin immediately. It doesn't evaporate as most think, instead it soaks into your skin and goes right for the old liver. They are in a family of organic compounds called "Keytones." Most of us can't afford any excess mileage on that particular unit! I hear they get 10 cents a mile over normal usage.
Wear gloves...
Skeep

Unchained
02-18-2003, 02:18 PM
A good friend of mine was reading the ingredients from a can of solvent and he said,
"Methyl Ethyl Ketone"
"Sounds like some fat chick"