PDA

View Full Version : A Barrier That Could Have Been

Havasu Hangin'
09-11-2005, 03:47 PM
A Barrier That Could Have Been
Congress OKd a project to protect New Orleans 40 years ago, but an environmentalist suit halted it. Some say it could have worked.
By Ralph Vartabedian and Peter Pae, Times Staff Writer
In the wake of Hurricane Betsy 40 years ago, Congress approved a massive hurricane barrier to protect New Orleans from storm surges that could inundate the city.
But the project, signed into law by President Johnson, was derailed in 1977 by an environmental lawsuit. Now the question is: Could that barrier have protected New Orleans from the damage wrought by Hurricane Katrina?
"If we had built the barriers, New Orleans would not be flooded," said Joseph Towers, the retired chief counsel for the Army Corps of Engineers New Orleans district.
Tower's view is endorsed by a former key senator, along with academic experts, who say a hurricane barrier is the only way to control the powerful storm surges that enter Lake Pontchartrain and threaten the city. Other experts are less sure, saying the barrier would have been no match for Katrina.
The project was stopped in its tracks when an environmental lawsuit won a federal injunction on the grounds that the Army's environmental impact statement was flawed. By the mid-1980s, the Corps of Engineers abandoned the project.
The project faced formidable opposition not only from environmentalists but from regional government officials outside of New Orleans who argued that the barriers would choke commerce and harm marine life in ecologically sensitive Lake Pontchartrain.
The barrier would have protected New Orleans from storm surges barreling into the lake through two narrow passages — the Rigolets and the Chef Menteur Pass.
During Hurricane Katrina, the lake — swollen 12 feet — was slammed by 135 mph winds against the city's storm walls and levees. The barriers failed in five places and the city was flooded. On the city's eastern flank, the surge approached the city through a network of canals from Lake Borgne, which was also swollen and raging.
After the damage caused by Betsy, a Category 2 hurricane when it hit the Louisiana coast in 1965, the Army Corps of Engineers designed and began clearing sites for the so-called Lake Pontchartrain Hurricane Barrier Project. It required miles of levees and two massive storm gates that could close off the Rigolets and Chef Menteur Pass if a hurricane was approaching.
Although the largely forgotten project has been moribund for more than two decades, it has attracted renewed interest and regained credibility since Katrina left about 80% of New Orleans underwater.
J. Bennett Johnston, a former powerful Democratic senator from Louisiana and now a lobbyist in Washington, is working on Capitol Hill to resurrect the barrier.
"It ought to be part of the deal," he said. "It would have prevented the huge storm tide that came into Lake Pontchartrain."
The barrier would have run from a point near the Mississippi state line, known as Apple Pie Ridge, southwest across the marshlands all the way to the main levees of the Mississippi River, roughly 25 miles. Most of the barrier would have consisted of levees, roughly 9 feet to 14 feet high. In addition, two massive control structures were to be placed on the inlets to Lake Pontchartrain.
The Rigolets, the larger of the two inlets, would have required an 800-foot-long structure with floodgates and a massive locks that could close if a hurricane or other storm surge were approaching the coast.
Similar floodgates protect the Netherlands from North Sea surges.
Towers, the corps' former chief counsel, said the project was estimated to cost $85 million in 1965, or just over $500 million, adjusted for inflation. Estimates of the costs of Katrina's damage and reconstruction exceed $100 billion.
The project was stopped on Dec. 30, 1977, by U.S. District Judge Charles Schwartz Jr., who said the corps' environmental impact statement had failed to satisfy federal environmental laws.
Schwartz ruled that the region "would be irreparably harmed" if the barrier project was allowed to continue. He chastised the Army for its inadequate environmental impact statement, which was based in part on a single biologist who never submitted a written report.
Towers conceded that the plan was inadequate by today's standards, but noted that the battle began not long after the National Environmental Policy Act was signed in 1970 and before much of the case law involving the act was set.
The project faced strong opposition from the environmental group Save Our Wetlands, fishermen and the St. Tammany Parish, just north of Lake Pontchartrain, which had hoped to see a large shipyard built on a bayou. The shipyard was never built; today the area is underwater.

SmokinLowriderSS
09-12-2005, 06:02 PM
True, the best we can do is controll it in small (relatively), isolated areas and ways to improve our ability to SURVIVE nature.
I wonder what the environmental groups think of the fact that they are pumping the (I hesitate to call it "water") "STUFF" that has New Orleans flooded over into Ponchatrain. It's loaded with mud, fecal matter (and the subsequent bacteria), motor fuels & oils, partly salt, cleaning chemicals, all kinds of crap with a Haz-Mat listing.
Again, hindsight being 20/20. "sigh"

Poster X
09-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Environmentalist's have seriously set back some good projects... and some bad. If the pasting of the article was meant as mere observation and ironic coincidence, then don't read the rest of this post.
It seems the extreme right (which is most of them) wants to go backwards and pick and choose incidents they can pin on environmental activists. Is there some conspiracy or neolithic need to wipe out all remaining vegetation on this planet? Too many animals living so we need to wipe them out? As often as environmentalists are wrong...they are right. There's more to the environment than the white faced owl and beaches in Alaska. I promote compromise. There are incidents which could have changed history had anyone been willing to compromise. The problem isn't enviro freeks or tightie righties singularly. It's both of them so hell bent on victory there isn't enough compromise.

Steve 1
09-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Here it is with the murdering scumbag Rats name all over it!
http://saveourwetlands.org/77-schwartz.htm

Steve 1
09-12-2005, 06:48 PM
1977! The Big Rat Anti American Carter began his destruction of America Later was Instrumental in the creation of Terrorist Iran (traceable RIGHT to 9/11) He gave the Radicals an entire nation ..

SmokinLowriderSS
09-12-2005, 06:58 PM
1977! The Big Rat Anti American Carter began his destruction of America Later was Instrumental in the creation of Terrorist Iran (traceable RIGHT to 9/11) He gave the Radicals an entire nation ..
Well, I can't quite go so far as to credit Carter fro GIVING the Ayatolla Iran, The Shah was sufficiently corrupt to loose it to a "popular" uprising which may or may not have been all that popular. What Smilling Jimmy Peanut (my 1st mother-in-law used to HATE it when I said that about her fav. pres (lord rest her soul(although she was stupid enough to be an asthmatic overweight smoker with 2 steel heart valves, she was a nice woman, nicer than her eldest daughter)DID do was to display our (at his hands) pathetic level of capability and competence when we tried to mount a rescue operation with poor training, worn equipment, lousy comunications, but a lot of gutsy soldiers. THAT set the stage (that and memories of Vietnam) for the terror groups to think they can beat us in open conflict and for dictators to think the same thing too.

Havasu Hangin'
09-12-2005, 07:49 PM
It seems the extreme right (which is most of them) wants to go backwards and pick and choose incidents they can pin on environmental activists. Is there some conspiracy or neolithic need to wipe out all remaining vegetation on this planet? Too many animals living so we need to wipe them out? As often as environmentalists are wrong...they are right. There's more to the environment than the white faced owl and beaches in Alaska. I promote compromise. There are incidents which could have changed history had anyone been willing to compromise. The problem isn't enviro freeks or tightie righties singularly. It's both of them so hell bent on victory there isn't enough compromise.
That's very ironic coming from a guy as one-sided (and non-compromising) as yourself.
In fact, one doesn't even need to actually read your posts anymore. Here's how they all read to the non-ponytail folks:
Blah, blah blah....I am paper, you are glue...whine, whine, whine. :cry:

Poster X
09-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Your answer speaks volumes and illuminates what I already knew about the average neocon.

Havasu Hangin'
09-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Your answer speaks volumes and illuminates what I already knew about the average neocon.
You lack of verbosity puzzles me. Perhaps all those hallucinogenic drugs are taxing your double-digit IQ.

Seadog
09-13-2005, 05:33 AM
It is amazing how Posser always manages to drag a discussion down to his level. The worse part is that every now and then he actually acts like he had a thought break through. And then he goes and retreats into his litany of words for fascist.

SmokinLowriderSS
09-13-2005, 06:50 AM
He does seem pretty good at faking it once in a while ... might be a skill that could bring him success as a cheap hookr.

SmokinLowriderSS
09-13-2005, 07:09 AM
Keep in mind, Poster has posted himself that he ALWAYS stays on topic, and it is he who has to put up with the Hate-filled, venom spewing, knuckle-dragging, fascist, nazi, Joseph Mengele wanabe, goose-stepping, dictatorial, society purging, racist, homophobic, sexist, lie-filled, blind to facts & reason, diatribe of the zero-IQ neanderthals on here.
There is a term in psychology for this phenomena ... DISPLACEMENT. Confering ones own actions to others while believing oneself to be normal.

Poster X
09-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Keep in mind, Poster has posted himself that he ALWAYS stays on topic, and it is he who has to put up with the Hate-filled, venom spewing, knuckle-dragging, fascist, nazi, Joseph Mengele wanabe, goose-stepping, dictatorial, society purging, racist, homophobic, sexist, lie-filled, blind to facts & reason, diatribe of the zero-IQ neanderthals on here.
There is a term in psychology for this phenomena ... DISPLACEMENT. Confering ones own actions to others while believing oneself to be normal.
If you started keeping score right now you might be right. In actuality the insults flew hard and heavy toward me for several days just for posting my opinion on issues. (sans any name calling) Now, I'm down to the only thing unibrows can understand. Insults and condescension.

Steve 1
09-13-2005, 03:07 PM
If you started keeping score right now you might be right. In actuality the insults flew hard and heavy toward me for several days just for posting my opinion on issues. (sans any name calling) Now, I'm down to the only thing unibrows can understand. Insults and condescension.
Rat squeak