PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Berk pump apart?

Heatseeker
09-11-2005, 04:47 PM
I want to make up a puller specifically for removing an impeller from a Berk pump.
I need to know the distance from the shaft's end to pulling ring area on the impeller. Does anybody have an opened up pump laying around? If so, I'd appreciate if someone could post this dimension. I'll be tearing my pump down at the end of Oct., but I'd like to get the puller made up ahead of time.
Also, if anyone has such a puller, I'd be interested in a pic or two.
Thanks.

Squirtin Thunder
09-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Give me a call John !!!
Jim
928-234-5455

wasted$$
09-11-2005, 05:34 PM
why dont you just buy one???
cpperformance $100.
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=4153

Heatseeker
09-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Why buy one when I can make one and get paid for doing it :D ?
Thanks for the link, the pic gives me an idea :rollside: .

Squirtin Thunder
09-11-2005, 09:31 PM
I will send you mine, so you can make 10 !!!
But I want 2 of them.
Then you can sell 8 for $100 each and get that bike insured and registered !!!
Jim

Heatseeker
09-12-2005, 07:10 AM
Jim, I think I have a design worked out.
One question. On your puller(assuming it's the same one in the pic on CP's site), are there threads in the impeller end that the puller ring threads into? I have a ring that accepts a split ring for use with a 2 jaw already. I'm thinking I can cut an external thread into it and then machine a pulling fixture with a corresponding internal thread. Slip the threaded ring over the impeller, insert the split ring, then thread the fixture over the threaded ring and start pulling. Does that make sense to you?
Maybe you could post up a pic or two of what you have. I'm hoping to get the time to start working on it tonight. If it works out, I can do a run of them if there's enough interest. Maybe I'll get that bike registered yet! :cool:

Cas
09-12-2005, 07:45 AM
when you "splash" it, be sure to make your own "improvement" ;)

Squirtin Thunder
09-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Jim, I think I have a design worked out.
One question. On your puller(assuming it's the same one in the pic on CP's site), are there threads in the impeller end that the puller ring threads into? No it slides over the threads !!! I have a ring that accepts a split ring for use with a 2 jaw already. I'm thinking I can cut an external thread into it and then machine a pulling fixture with a corresponding internal thread. Slip the threaded ring over the impeller, insert the split ring, then thread the fixture over the threaded ring and start pulling. Does that make sense to you?
Maybe you could post up a pic or two of what you have. I'm hoping to get the time to start working on it tonight. If it works out, I can do a run of them if there's enough interest. Maybe I'll get that bike registered yet! :cool:
I will get you some pics.

wsuwrhr
09-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Easy job heetseeker
Brian

Heatseeker
09-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Jim, thanks for the pics.
I couldn't see the retaining sleeve in the CP pic. Maybe I'll start from scratch using those pics as a reference.
I still need the length from the shaft's end to the pulling recess on the impeller. Also, I could use the shaft diameter(bushing end). I'm thinking it was 1", but I can't remember for sure.
Steve, if I splash it, I'll use round stock with a hex machined into one end of it. (I don't have any big hex around, dammit :burningm: !)
Brian, thanks for the confidence vote. I wish I had your set-up! My eyes seem to be having a much harder time reading the dials than they used to :squiggle: !
Actually, one of our lathes and our mill both have DROs, which makes things alot easier. But I'd still love to have your set-up!

Cs19
09-12-2005, 06:18 PM
have some adjustment in the puller, the impeller is about .100 further forward on a blueprinted pump.

Heatseeker
09-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks Jim.
I forgot I had a rebuild kit on hand(for a friend's pump I've been waiting to rebuild for 2 years!) and was able to get the shaft end diameter(1 1/8") from the bushings in the kit.
With the measurements you provided, I have everything I need. I just finished an Autocad drawing for the split collar. I'll start on that first. After I get that and the retaining coller made up, I'll start on the puller body.
CS, thanks for the tip!
Off to the machine shop I go!

Mighty Thor
09-12-2005, 09:26 PM
I hate to sound low tech, but I built mine last week in less than an hour. Here was my design. First I made a washer where the center hole was big enough to fit over the end of the impeller snout. Then I built a second washer where the hole was the same diameter as the grove in the impeller snout. Then I split the second washer in half so I could slip the two halves into the grove. Then I stacked the two washers and drilled two holes thorugh the washers. Finally, I welded two nuts on the back side of holes on the fist washer. To make it work I just need two long bolts and my steering wheel/balancer puller. I drop the first washer on to the impeller snout with the nuts facing the impeller, slip the two halves of the second washer into the impeller grove, line up the holes, run the bolts through the puller, though the split washer, through the first washer and into the nuts on the back side. Then Just turn bolt on the puller. I thought about making three holes in the washers to fit all of the arms on the steering wheel puller but two holes pulled it just fine. Total cost 84 cents for the two grade 8 bolts.

Rexone
09-12-2005, 10:45 PM
I doesn't take a lot of brains to copy someone elses stuff.
(Yes CP uses our jet tools).
Perhaps I should just post our original prints and save everyone some time.
Thanks for your support gentlemen.

Squirtin Thunder
09-12-2005, 11:27 PM
I doesn't take a lot of brains to copy someone elses stuff.
(Yes CP uses our jet tools).
Perhaps I should just post our original prints and save everyone some time.
Thanks for your support gentlemen.
Thats what I get for thinking it was the other way around.
Sorry Mike !!!
I deleted all the pics of the puller. Again I am sorry !!!
Jim

Rexone
09-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Thats what I get for thinking it was the other way around.
Sorry Mike !!!
I deleted all the pics of the puller. Again I am sorry !!!
Jim
Jim to me it's irrelevent who made the puller. Why would it be ok copy it if it was made by Mike May's but not me. Sorry I don't get it.
Doesn't matter, I've said my peace here and in Sandbar , outta here for awhile.

Squirtin Thunder
09-13-2005, 01:57 AM
Jim to me it's irrelevent who made the puller. Why would it be ok copy it if it was made by Mike May's but not me. Sorry I don't get it.
Doesn't matter, I've said my peace here and in Sandbar , outta here for awhile.
Mike,
I see what you are saying and it really doesn't matter whose it is. I was just trying to help someone out. Being I knew that I could not sell it to him either thru Rex Marine or CP. I am sorry for stepping on your toes.
Thanks,
Jim

Heatseeker
09-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Mike I apologize for using some elements of your puller design. I was working on a similar concept when I asked for the shaft length. That's all I really wanted. There's no way I was going to make a run of them. I don't have the time nor the material on hand for that. I was just making an attempt at humor.
I don't make a habit of stealing peoples designs. I may pick up bits and pieces in my travels, but I would never outright copy someones work.
You have helped me out in the past and I've always appreciated that.
I hope that you accept my apology.

Rexone
09-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks John, and for the PM. Apology accepted.
It was not the fact you're making a puller that upset me but the fact the thread subsequently became a thread on how to knock off a Rex puller complete with detailed pictures of all the Rex puller components.
Anyway it's done lets move on. :)

Squirtin Thunder
09-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks John, and for the PM. Apology accepted.
It was not the fact you're making a puller that upset me but the fact the thread subsequently became a thread on how to knock off a Rex puller complete with detailed pictures of all the Rex puller components.
Anyway it's done lets move on. :)
So basically in a nutshell, I am the Dick Head !!!!
Some times I should just shut the **** up !!!
Again sorry
Jim

Rexone
09-13-2005, 01:18 PM
So basically in a nutshell, I am the Dick Head !!!!
Some times I should just shut the **** up !!!
Again sorry
Jim
Jim yes sometimes you are. (I have proof) :wink:
But lets call it a day on this one and move on.
Apology accepted :)