PDA

View Full Version : Help, Detailing my pickup

Nubbs
09-11-2005, 09:01 PM
I recently bought an 05 Ford pickup. The dealer didn't do a very good job of "detailing" it for me when I bought it. So I gave it my best shot today. Well, the pickup is white and you can see all these little reddish/brownish spots/dots on the paint. I got some of them off, but I couldn't get them all off. It is way cleaner, but still is not how I want it. Does anybody know of a product that will clean the spots/dots off the paint? Or, can anybody tell me how to get them off? BTW, I just got my lift and tires on this week.
Thanks
Nubbs
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/361lift.jpg

JetBoatRich
09-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Looks good, we can't even notice the spots :rolleyes:

76ANTHONY
09-11-2005, 09:06 PM
use clay and a little water, maguires polish.. its cheap and man it comes out niceeeeeee

MBlaster
09-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Depends what the spots are.
Maybe as simple as a good wash, clay, polish, wax.
Should be since it's a new truck. If not I'd be pissed.
I use a Porter Cable random orbital polisher on my cars.
Mail order pads from www.autogeek.com
The PC is the best way for non pro's to do great pro detail jobs.
It's completly moron proof, you can't fock up your paint if you try.
Maybe try a dilution of simplegreen on a test area to see if that pulls the specks out.
PS when you clay use a quick detailer spray instead of water, and do an area about 15in square.

cc322
09-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Mothers clay bar . The rust looking deposit is called fallout. It is from the atmosphere and is really noticeable on white color cars. wash your truck and use a high quality clay bar and you willl be happy

HOOTER SLED-
09-11-2005, 11:32 PM
3M compound will work great with a buffer. Then finish it up with a polish and a final coat of carnauba wax.

HocusPocus
09-11-2005, 11:47 PM
my technique is simple... i just pay someone else to do it and it always comes out great. :)

SOCALDETAIL1
09-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Its called RAIL DUST the dealer is suppose to take it off. Clay bar will take it off but make sure you wax after. Or call me and bill the dealership(Im about 10 min. from you) I used to work for GM and Ford training their porters to remove rail dust they are liable for the removal... Mark (SO-CAL DETAIL) 562-544-4732

MagicMtnDan
09-12-2005, 05:07 AM
Depends what the spots are.
Maybe as simple as a good wash, clay, polish, wax.
Should be since it's a new truck. If not I'd be pissed.
I use a Porter Cable random orbital polisher on my cars.
Mail order pads from www.autogeek.com
The PC is the best way for non pro's to do great pro detail jobs.
It's completly moron proof, you can't fock up your paint if you try.
Maybe try a dilution of simplegreen on a test area to see if that pulls the specks out.
PS when you clay use a quick detailer spray instead of water, and do an area about 15in square.
This is great advice.
Note that the Porter-Cable 7424 6" Variable-Speed Random-Orbit Polisher is only $120.99 at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004SUQ8/qid=1126443895/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4266569-2137657?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846)

Daytona19
09-12-2005, 07:50 AM
Usually the spots are called railway dust or some say brake dust either way its the same. I have the same exact truck color & all and mine was the same. I guess there is a chemical process to do to the vehicle and then it wont re appear. Mine was at the point of looking more like small rust spots everywhere but now is no more. I also keep a good wax on her (waxing frenzy or Collinites number 845 insulator wax)and that really helps once the other is done. good luck but it can be taken care of and I would make the dealer do it hell with breaking your elbows to do so. Nice truck!!

76ANTHONY
09-12-2005, 07:56 AM
HEY nubbs, get your lazy butt up and clay the vehicle and tell us if it worked,,,, yeah we know it worked but get to work anyway :D :D :D

Nubbs
09-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I spent about 6 hours working on it yesterday. First I washed it. Then I used a Mother's clay bar. It helped a lot, but didn't get the job done. Then I tried Meguire's Cleaner wax, that also helped a bit, but I still have a lot more to do. Does anyone have information on making the dealer take care of it? I bought it July 25 05, so it's been a little while. I would love to make the dealer take care of it if I could.
Thanks
Nubbs

76ANTHONY
09-12-2005, 04:28 PM
yep, take it back and tell them you spent 10 hours cleaning it and you still have raildust, they'll clean it up for you with acid, its a quick way of getting rid of the brown. set up an appointment to get it done and it will make the detailer happier and he'll do a better job. dont go out and get it all muddy either, you'll piss him off....hahaha :D :clover:

SOCALDETAIL1
09-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I spent about 6 hours working on it yesterday. First I washed it. Then I used a Mother's clay bar. It helped a lot, but didn't get the job done. Then I tried Meguire's Cleaner wax, that also helped a bit, but I still have a lot more to do. Does anyone have information on making the dealer take care of it? I bought it July 25 05, so it's been a little while. I would love to make the dealer take care of it if I could.
Thanks
Nubbs
The dealership will either remove it or pay to have it removed. There is no reason why you should have to do it after spending all that money on the vehicle. Talk to the GM of the dealership if he knows anything about making a customer happy he will take care of it. Mark

Boozer
09-12-2005, 05:11 PM
3M compound will work great with a buffer. Then finish it up with a polish and a final coat of carnauba wax.
This is a good way to do it if you know how to use a buffer. If you don't know how to use a buffer this could be a good way to mess up the paint job on your brand new truck. :hammerhea

ahhell
09-12-2005, 05:30 PM
go to Wal mart and get a bottle of Scratch out....works like wax...F'd up my paint with rubbing compound and this shit fixed it...used to use it on my black porsche and you couldnt see any swirls....2 bucks :wink:

Throttle
09-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Thanks
Nubbs
since its been a while good luck with the dealer, however there are different grades of clay (like sandpaper) are available... Its good to start with the least abraisive but you will need to fine something stronger to get it done. Just remember when using something more abraisive, it will scatch, you will have to use a fine polish to remove the scratches and then wax... Your detatiler will love to do it for ya... but use someone you can trust.

SOCALDETAIL1
09-12-2005, 08:04 PM
When I worked for GM when a customer wanted it done, we did it for free and charged GM for transportation damage, they never had a problem paying it, So my advice would be to call up Ford directly and have them call the dealership to make a DUE BILL out so you can have it done, If all else fails talk to the service manager and have one of the dealerships porters do it.

Nubbs
09-12-2005, 08:52 PM
yep, take it back and tell them you spent 10 hours cleaning it and you still have raildust, they'll clean it up for you with acid, its a quick way of getting rid of the brown.
They supposedly did the acid thing before I took it home. The sides were a lot cleaner after they did it. However, I never inspected the hood until the other day. They didn't do a great job on the hood or top.
Nubbs

SOCALDETAIL1
09-12-2005, 09:44 PM
They Were Lazzzzzzzy..........

BajaMike
09-12-2005, 10:59 PM
It's the dealers respondsibility to deliver it to you perfect. Take it back, and if they don't fix it, tell them you want to open a service ticket with the regional service manager. Dont' close the ticket until they detail the truck to your satisfaction.
They hate to have open service tickets.....and only your approval can close a service ticket....don't let them close it until u r satisfied!!!! :D :D
You should neve accept a truck that is not detailed properly.
:2purples:

No Name
10-12-2005, 09:32 PM
[IMG]untitled

Magic34
10-12-2005, 09:50 PM
They supposedly did the acid thing before I took it home. The sides were a lot cleaner after they did it. However, I never inspected the hood until the other day. They didn't do a great job on the hood or top.
Nubbs
They could apply more pressure to the sides and that is why the sides look better than the surfaces facing up.
Take it back to the dealership, tell them to clay the heck out of it and you'll be back in 2 days to get it when it is right.
It should take them less than 2 hours to clay the truck and then some more time to reapply the wax they use. Make sure that the windows are smooth too. You can use a very fine steel wool on the glass if it has the same thing on it, I am sure that it does.
DO NOT USE THE STEEL WOOL ON THE PAINTED SURFACES. It is for glass only.