PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boat Insurance HELP!!!

h2oboy
09-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey fellow Jet owners, new to this site and was hoping some one out there could help me. I am the proud new owner of a 76 Southwind and am looking to insure it, but am having trouble finding someone to write the paper on it. If anyone can help me out that would be great!! Please let me know where you go through so I can try soon to get the small insurance on it...
Want to also say hi to Gary Snow!! I spent many days in your shop years ago with the Head Over Heels Drag Boat team. Hope everything is good!! Drop me a line... I am the good looking Nephew, who had a crush on your oldest daughter back in the day!! haha

YeLLowBoaT
09-11-2005, 10:27 PM
http://watercraft.progressive.com/
was one of the few places I could find that will touch a older jet/ vdrive boat with out costing a arm and a leg. its not who I have but they were #2 on my list. as long as you have not done alot to the boat you should be fine you really only run in to probs with insurance when you have alot of hp or some thing custom( I had both.....)
There is also a thread in the sand bar about insurenace you should look at.

h2oboy
09-11-2005, 10:33 PM
I looked into Progressive and they said since it had over the transom pipes that they would not write the papers.... Any thoughts??

Cas
09-11-2005, 10:56 PM
you might want to do a search on here. There's been a lot of discussion about insuring a boat with OT headers. Personally, I have Progressive but I put thru transom Bassetts on mine.

Floored
09-12-2005, 02:35 AM
Look up Terhaggen& Malone in Bellflower, Ca and ask for Margaret My boat with Bassetts is 500 a year full coverage

Heatseeker
09-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Good luck!
I couldn't find anyone to touch mine. Once they hear my HP range and that it has OT pipes, the coversations would end abruptly!

Liberator TJ1984
09-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Only luck I've had is to insure for a total set amount $$$$
It will cost some , but I only insure during boating season, if it should sink :cry:
same principal as a dancer or athlete insuring their body parts :rolleyes:
my homeowners covers it should something happen while in the garage

h2oboy
09-12-2005, 09:42 AM
I was thinking to do the same, I just thought someone may have a conection that they use, similar to the larger boats or boats over 50,000 in value.

h2oboy
09-12-2005, 09:43 AM
John,
What do you do then?? No insurance??

moneysucker
09-12-2005, 10:38 PM
No Ins. Here. No one is stupid enough to do it if I tell the truth and if I lie and get coverage, I am wasting mioney that I could have saved for a lawyer. If I sink I am fine. I will get the parts back. I could care less about the hull, If it is stolen I am screwed and If I hit someone I am double screwed. I would pay for only liability isf someone would do it. Just be glad that you do not have a tunnel hull, OT pipes, 900 HP, and top speed of 100, Who would insure that? :frown:

votech
09-13-2005, 06:13 AM
here's who we use,they coverd the boat ,jet ski's and the travel trailer at the river. i did have to get the boat surveyd. THUM insurance 1-800-866-0777. good luck!

Cole1313
09-13-2005, 06:42 AM
I looked into Progressive and they said since it had over the transom pipes that they would not write the papers.... Any thoughts??
I use progressive!$267 a year. For full coverage.

h2oboy
09-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Thanks Votech, I will give them a call, you do not have OT exhaust do you??

h2oboy
09-13-2005, 07:33 AM
Cole,
I am not sure how you got them to do it, once I said it had OT exhaust, they told me they would not do it.... I thought it was weird too, thats why I turned to the forum to figure out how all you are insuring!!!

Heatseeker
09-13-2005, 07:51 AM
John,
What do you do then?? No insurance??
I'm in the same boat as Moneysucker. I boat very carefully and keep my fingers crossed. Stupid? Probably so. But I haven't been able to find an affordable alternative. I haven't yet called Terhaggen & Malone, as suggested by floored. I will though.
No matter whom I've called, they ask hull length, drive type, HP, top speed and exhaust type. Once I tell them it's a 19' jet with approx. 850 HP with OT headers and runs around 90, they always say something like "we wouldn't be interested in underwriting a craft of that nature".
I argue that there are insured bass boats on the water that are capable of whooping me flat out. One agent told me "maybe you should buy a Bass boat and call me back". Smartass plick!!!
I had a AAA agent that helped me fudge the numbers to insure my last jet(18' 330 hp w/OTs, which weren't a big concern at the time). But he told me to pray I didn't have to make a claim! Then, when I went in with my current jet, he laughed me right out of there. I took my "umbrella policy", a AAA condition for insuring my old jet, with me :wink: .

Cole1313
09-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Cole,
I am not sure how you got them to do it, once I said it had OT exhaust, they told me they would not do it.... I thought it was weird too, thats why I turned to the forum to figure out how all you are insuring!!!
We insured the boat 5 years ago with Progressive! I am not sure why they would not insure your boat. They know our horsepower and that we have OT headers.
I would call them back and ask when they stopped insuring these kinds boats. We just insured another boat with them and they asked about the COLE and they did not seem to have any problems with it.

Heatseeker
09-13-2005, 08:15 AM
I would call them back and ask when they stopped insuring these kinds boats.
I was told by a Progressive agent/superviser that the average burn claim on a header boat was $100k. Therefore, they no longer accepted them for new policies. This was two years ago when I was trying to insure my current boat.
So I end up with a uninsurable 90 mph jet that's too loud to be legal on California waterways.
WTF was I thinking :idea: ?

Cole1313
09-13-2005, 08:22 AM
I was told by a Progressive agent/superviser that the average burn claim on a header boat was $100k. Therefore, they no longer accepted them for new policies. This was two years ago when I was trying to insure my current boat.
So I end up with a uninsurable 90 mph jet that's too loud to be legal on California waterways.
WTF was I thinking :idea: ?
$100K for what?? That has to be B.S. Unless you are standing on the things, you are not going to get burned that bad. I get nipped by the headers almost everytrip and it just turns red.

moneysucker
09-13-2005, 09:14 AM
I know people who have had to go bankrupt to avoid paying on a lawsuit of this nature, Drunk stands up while boat is running and falls between the hull and the headers. BS suing someone who was doing you a favor and hauling your drunk ass around. I had a chick lean back on mine while she was supposed to be holding the boat at the launch ramp and put 2 nice red lines across her back at the collector. (I run Jet Hot no water) I was afraid of lawsuits for a long time. :devil:

Cole1313
09-13-2005, 09:18 AM
I know people who have had to go bankrupt to avoid paying on a lawsuit of this nature, Drunk stands up while boat is running and falls between the hull and the headers. BS suing someone who was doing you a favor and hauling your drunk ass around. I had a chick lean back on mine while she was supposed to be holding the boat at the launch ramp and put 2 nice red lines across her back at the collector. (I run Jet Hot no water) I was afraid of lawsuits for a long time. :devil:
Gezzz! You hear of these stories and say it will never happen to me! I guess I have just been lucky throughout the years. The first thing I tell newbies is that these are hot do not touch them. Even though I run water through them and they do not get that hot, I guess if you fell on them you would get a pretty big red mark. But even if you were stuck on them for a mintute it would not cost a $100k, in damages. At least IMHO!

h2oboy
09-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Blows my mind that I am going to have to put through the hull exhaust to satisfy the insurance need... Some companies will not even talk to you if you have an exposed engine... Crazzy!!! Really lost here!!!

Cole1313
09-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Blows my mind that I am going to have to put through the hull exhaust to satisfy the insurance need... Some companies will not even talk to you if you have an exposed engine... Crazzy!!! Really lost here!!!
Have you tried an insurance broker. Some of these guys are getting $300,000 boats covered that do 120mph. A simple jet boat should be easy to insure. I guess I just got lucky.

votech
09-13-2005, 10:29 AM
h20, we have ot bassett's no problem, but survey cost around 150, and came back with the boat worth more than i payed so i did have to insur. for that amount.

Heatseeker
09-13-2005, 03:39 PM
I know people who have had to go bankrupt to avoid paying on a lawsuit of this nature, Drunk stands up while boat is running and falls between the hull and the headers. BS suing someone who was doing you a favor and hauling your drunk ass around... :devil:
That same drunk is treated at the local hospital for 3rd degree burns on his back and legs. Some ambulance chaser sees him in the ER. He tells him he can make some $$$ from this injury and his buddie's insurance will be the one to pay it. The insurance company is contacted...
Hospital costs + lawyer fees + settlement amount= $100K. Easily concievable.
Cole1313, don't kid yourself on the temperature of water injected Bassetts. If you touch them, they will burn you. Bad and fast. I have the tattoo to prove it!!!

Cole1313
09-13-2005, 03:53 PM
That same drunk is treated at the local hospital for 3rd degree burns on his back and legs. Some ambulance chaser sees him in the ER. He tells him he can make some $$$ from this injury and his buddie's insurance will be the one to pay it. The insurance company is contacted...
Hospital costs + lawyer fees + settlement amount= $100K. Easily concievable.
Cole1313, don't kid yourself on the temperature of water injected Bassetts. If you touch them, they will burn you. Bad and fast. I have the tattoo to prove it!!!
I believe you. And I guess I can see your point. I did not think about the lawyers fees.

h2oboy
09-13-2005, 09:09 PM
I think I may have found a company that will write the papers... I will keep everyone posted as I find out what their policy is. I got the quote back for 250.00/year... Like I said after i get the papers done I will let everone know and post their information.
Thanks for everyones suggestions... Hope I find something just in time to put it into storage!! ha

Brooski
09-13-2005, 11:22 PM
I have the same boat you are trying to insure. I am insured with AAA. They cover my boat, but only for liability, not full coverage. It only costs $120 a year, but they wont insure you unless you have been a member for a while and you do not use your boat primarily on the Colorado River. All my insurance is with them. Then again, my boat is slow..... :cool:

Danhercules
09-14-2005, 06:49 AM
Then again, my boat is slow..... :cool:
You got that right! :rollside: :boxed: :p

Cs19
09-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Tehhergan Malone was the only place that woud insure my 800 + HP tunnell boat with drag pipes.$1200/Year
Good luck