PDA

View Full Version : degreed harmonic balancer?

Itsahobby
01-24-2003, 12:13 PM
I am thinking of putting on a degreed harmonic
balancer. I have the old style cast aluminum
timing chain cover and don't think the marks are
to accurate. Where can I get one and how much
am I looking to spend?
Also, here's a dumb question, how do you tell
if the motor is externally balanced or internal?
Thanks
Itsahobby

kc0000
01-24-2003, 12:46 PM
if externally balanced then the balancer will have a significant weght on the inside of the wheel, on the motor side. You could just buy a tape stip from summit racing to stick the degrees onto the balancer.
If you have yours pulled off, and it is external, do me a favor and measure the length of the spindle that goes over the crank shaft, th full length. I had mine machined to shorten by 1/8th of an inch, but I forgot to measure before giving to the machine shop and now I need a way to validate.
Enjoy, KC

Itsahobby
01-24-2003, 01:21 PM
I tried the tape, it lasted about 30 min. :(
I don't have mine pulled, so sorry can't help
ya. I bet someone has one laying around. I know
a lot of the guys went to fluiddamper type.
Thanks,
Itsahobby
kc0000:
if externally balanced then the balancer will have a significant weght on the inside of the wheel, on the motor side. You could just buy a tape stip from summit racing to stick the degrees onto the balancer.
If you have yours pulled off, and it is external, do me a favor and measure the length of the spindle that goes over the crank shaft, th full length. I had mine machined to shorten by 1/8th of an inch, but I forgot to measure before giving to the machine shop and now I need a way to validate.
Enjoy, KC

Schiada76
01-24-2003, 03:46 PM
I just went through degreeing my balancer. You need to put a degree wheel on and set your own TDC. Set the tape to that or use the wheel to make your own marks.