PDA

View Full Version : 6" Custom Speaker Grills

Lake Ape
09-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Never mind it can't be made it would cost way to much.

HocusPocus
09-12-2005, 10:42 AM
sounds like a good idea.. you could start listing some on ebay to see how they do, i have had very good luck there myself. start'em out at $39.95 and see how they do. :)
designs....
stars
wavy lines
straight lines
linking circles
eye
spider web
concentric circles
concentric squares
spirals
waves
i could go on and on. :)
good luck and post some pics of the finished products

Chico&Zeus
09-12-2005, 11:46 AM
I would be interested in a cool checkered flag pattern, let me know if you come up with one.

river chaser
09-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Im interested,
Can you send me some pics of your work?

termiteguy
09-12-2005, 03:00 PM
tribal flame pattern i need 6 of them let me know :D

wsuwrhr
09-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Good luck.
What did you guys buy?
Brian

Holland
09-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Yeah... Post some pics, and try to make something original... I know that is kind of oxy moron-ish, I need something non-themed to match my boat. I like the $$$$ too!!!.

Lake Ape
09-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Good luck.
What did you guys buy?
Brian
a Gorton tracer mill.

wsuwrhr
09-12-2005, 05:09 PM
a Mori Seiki M300 with a 10 palet changer, all having 16" hexagonal tombstones, with a funuc control, and a 40 position tool changer. We bought it to run regular production runs for the current government work we have but figured we would run billet stuff between other runs. It kind of a strange machine, it's like a horizontal tilted on its side if that makes sense.
Jezusssss 10 pallets? I feel sorry for the poor chap who has to load all the parts.
Brian

Lake Ape
09-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Brian this is the best picture of one I could find on the internet. This is nicer than ours though!
http://gcplastics.com/shop-photos/gorton372.jpg

HocusPocus
09-12-2005, 06:46 PM
here is a company that advertises in ***boat that does billet speaker grills. maybe givey you some ideas. :)
http://xaudiocovers.com/

wsuwrhr
09-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Brian this is the best picture of one I could find on the internet. The pallet changer is on the right. It a strange machine. The one we bought spent its whole life pumping out Ford Taurus parts in Detriot!
http://www.calderiniantonio.it/Immagini/foto10m.jpg
Mori is a damn good machine, built very well. If it was taken care of, it will last a long time.
Brian

Lake Ape
09-12-2005, 08:04 PM
here is a company that advertises in ***boat that does billet speaker grills. maybe givey you some ideas. :)
http://xaudiocovers.com/
I don't want to offend Rexone so I changed the post!

Rexone
09-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Seems no one has a problem with that above link except me I guess. Nice deal, posting a link of one forum member for the next guy with an NC to knock off his stuff. It just never ends.
And lake ape you can't even buy the material for a pair of grills for $8.75 and if your cutting them for that (labor) good luck making money. $8.75 a pair gimme a friggin break.
This place and the lack of common courtesy or respect for others businesses, products, feelings, ect. is really aggravating me lately. I think I need a ***boat vacation.

Outnumbered
09-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Seems no one has a problem with that above link except me I guess. Nice deal, posting a link of one forum member for the next guy with an NC to knock off his stuff. It just never ends.
And lake ape you can't even buy the material for a pair of grills for $8.75 and if your cutting them for that (labor) good luck making money. $8.75 a pair gimme a friggin break.
This place and the lack of common courtesy or respect for others businesses, products, feelings, ect. is really aggravating me lately. I think I need a ***boat vacation.
At least he was smart enough not to post a link to knock off some Rex stuff :messedup:

Rexone
09-12-2005, 11:48 PM
At least he was smart enough not to post a link to knock off some Rex stuff :messedup:
Probably only because I don't make speaker grills. :)
For a cost of $8.75 though perhaps I should reconsider. :)

Tom Brown
09-12-2005, 11:57 PM
I'll take a pair of grills with the Glastron swoosh on them. Tell me where to send the check for $10.25 (I'm throwing in $1.50 for shipping and handling).

Tom Brown
09-13-2005, 12:01 AM
PS:
yada yada yada :D

Boy Named Sue
09-13-2005, 12:23 AM
PS:
yada yada yada :DU.S. speaker grills, made in China plus shipping + smart ass yada yada yada...= NO GRILLS FOR YOU!

Outnumbered
09-13-2005, 01:25 AM
U.S. speaker grills, made in China plus shipping + smart ass yada yada yada...= NO GRILLS FOR YOU!
Ah, The Grill Nazi. Now we have the new company name figured out :D
http://www.comedyontap.com/features/images/larrythomas/soupnazi.jpg

Lake Ape
09-13-2005, 05:48 AM
Sorry, it can't be done, my mistake.

Lake Ape
09-13-2005, 10:19 AM
We have decided not to make speaker grills but have decided to make bolt on 6" wheel spinners instead, and hopefully in the process offend everyone. If anyone one the boards is making wheel spinners please let me know and we switch to aluminium plates.

HocusPocus
09-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Like all good businessmen, you've found a use for scrap, like the companies that produce stryofoam peanuts or these little plastic BBs for air guns. Good for you. ;)
i agree!! no sense wasting good material.
We have decided not to make speaker grills but have decided to make bolt on 6" wheel spinners instead, and hopefully in the process offend everyone. If anyone one the boards is making wheel spinners please let me know and we switch to aluminium plates.
make 6" wheel spinners that look like speaker grills.
:jawdrop:
i

HocusPocus
09-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Or 6" speaker grills that are spinners. :D :D
now your just being silly. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

superdave013
09-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Or 6" speaker grills that are spinners. :D :D
someone is already doing it. I think they are bigger then 6" though.

superdave013
09-13-2005, 11:35 AM
1. One of our current parts that we make in high volume creates a piece of scrap about 7" x 8" and there is no way around it. The first customer pays for this material not us. We have been just using it to mock stuff up on and then recycle it.
2. Also I if you buy your aluminium in the quantities that we buy in from places like Davis Salvage in Phoenix you can buy the material for les than that.
Even if you get the material for free you should still think about what it would cost you if you had to buy it. If you set your pricing based on free material you will drive the price (value) of that item down for everyone. Great for the end user but bad for eveyone else.
If I was you I'd enjoy that extra profit as someday it might not be there.

liquidasset
09-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Lake Ape I think what your doing is great. For the few that already do it Yours will most likely be different. The few I've seen from other companies are not all that. My.02

Magic34
09-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Welcome to the club. :cool:

Krumbsnatcher
09-13-2005, 12:47 PM
I will place a very nice order, call us.
It all ways amazes me how someone thinks they can start a business on just a single product and look at only MFG costs.
Final cost = Advertising + expenses + Liability Insurance + product (materials + labor) + distriibution
I only wish we made profit but we are only on year 1 of a 3 year plan.
Lake Ape, being serious for once. I would like to talk further on a business venture if your interested.
Jeff
Xtreme Audio Covers :) :)

Rexone
09-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Actually Rexone I didn't originally post the link someone else did. I also didn't knock the guys parts, I knocked his prices. At that price I think they are makeing a ton money if they are selling them. As for the price of material I have two answer for you smarty pants:
1. One of our current parts that we make in high volume creates a piece of scrap about 7" x 8" and there is no way around it. The first customer pays for this material not us. We have been just using it to mock stuff up on and then recycle it.
2. Also I if you buy your aluminium in the quantities that we buy in from places like Davis Salvage in Phoenix you can buy the material for les than that.
I'm sorry I offended you Rexone but there are tons of posts on this board talking about prices.
And to who ever on the board the link belongs to nice work, great idea and nice web page.
LA I never said you posted the link, I just commented on what I thought about it being posted. I think its poor taste for one forum member to post a link about another for a 3rd party to knock his stuff off.
Congrats on the free shit.
Smarty pants. :)

Krumbsnatcher
09-13-2005, 12:58 PM
:clover: :clover:

Rexone
09-13-2005, 01:01 PM
It all ways amazes me how someone thinks they can start a business on just a single product and look at only MFG costs.
$8.75 to cut a pair of grills. Sounds like a great little money maker side job. :rolleyes:
LA I'll buy all the production you can produce at twice that number, 100% profit for you. Jeff has first shot though.
:hammerhea

RiverDave
09-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Good luck with your biz venture lake ape. I think your going to find out pretty quick though, that those prices don't make sense. Free material or not. Maintenance on the machine, cutters, programming, setup, loading pallets, etc.. etc.. I don't even think I'd put a cutter in a tool changer for 8 bucks, but that's just me.
RD

Rexone
09-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Good luck with your biz venture lake ape. I think your going to find out pretty quick though, that those prices don't make sense. Free material or not. Maintenance on the machine, cutters, programming, setup, loading pallets, etc.. etc.. I don't even think I'd put a cutter in a tool changer for 8 bucks, but that's just me.
RD
RD don't tell him that shit. I'm trying to make a deal here. :rollside:

Lake Ape
09-13-2005, 01:51 PM
RD
You guys are all correct, it can't be done sorry to bother you all.

RiverDave
09-13-2005, 02:11 PM
LakeApe, your right I'm sorry.. I didn't know the whole deal there. I absolutely wish you the best of luck, and can't wait to see the end result. :cool:
RD

ROZ
09-13-2005, 02:15 PM
How long have you been in the industry, LakeApe?

Lake Ape
09-13-2005, 02:26 PM
LakeApe, your right I'm sorry.. I didn't know the whole deal there. I absolutely wish you the best of luck, and can't wait to see the end result. :cool:
RD
What do you think of our new machine, it's state of the art, LOL!
http://gcplastics.com/shop-photos/gorton372.jpg

Magic34
09-13-2005, 02:47 PM
What do you think of our new machine, it's state of the art, LOL!
Where are you located in Mesa? Oh, by the way, if you want some advice, as good or bad as it may be.... Go to the LA boat show, I was at the PHX boat show with our product last year and everyone had a look on their face like... "uh, what are those?" even though the sign said billet speaker covers.
One last part of advice, you already brought the value of your product down on the boards by telling people that you were using scraps to build these. That price will hurt, no destroy you, down the road if you lose whatever contract that is providing the "free" material.
I like the idea of really low cost, but what if you want to make them cool and provide screens, can you do so at a competitive price? :cool:

ROZ
09-13-2005, 02:57 PM
I like the idea of really low cost, but what if you want to make them cool and provide screens, can you do so at a competitive price? :cool:
Your grills look great.. :)
It's all about the screens :D
I still woulda tab'd the top so you can run bottom set screws only, though ;) :D

HocusPocus
09-13-2005, 03:19 PM
LA I never said you posted the link, I just commented on what I thought about it being posted. I think its poor taste for one forum member to post a link about another for a 3rd party to knock his stuff off.
Congrats on the free shit.
Smarty pants. :)
then you must mean me?? i didn't post the link in hopes he would "knock" off their products. that company has a great product and a well put together website, i only suggested it for "ideas".. not as an opportunity to "knocK" off anything. no need to be so paranoid. :squiggle:

Lake Ape
09-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Check these out! (http://raincustom.zoovy.com/category/billetspeakergrills/)

HocusPocus
09-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Check these out! (http://raincustom.zoovy.com/category/billetspeakergrills/)
those look familiar..
i havn't noticed anyone doing anyone doing any skull shapes?

Lake Ape
09-13-2005, 03:50 PM
those look familiar..
i havn't noticed anyone doing anyone doing any skull shapes?
Did you see the prices? Much better!

Magic34
09-13-2005, 03:59 PM
That's EACH.
Exactly
I was selling at $90 per pair. But I am in no way using this thread to solicite speaker covers in any way. Just don't do the PHX show, save yourself the $$.
You can see I am bitter about the PHX show.

Magic34
09-13-2005, 04:03 PM
How come your website doesn't work?
Because my website guys suck. Yes, all 4 of them, each different not knowing who the previous one was, we hired and they never came through.
Besides, with ***boat, who needs websites? I mean, through the PM system the personal contact and pictures in forums are just a great way to work. :wink:

Magic34
09-13-2005, 04:08 PM
How much did you pay those guys to give you a non working website? :D
Either not enough or too much??? I didn't pay enough, so they didn't finish, or I paid too much and they just left with the $$. They never stuck around for me to figure it out, so I will go with the paid too much theory.

superdave013
09-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Either not enough or too much??? I didn't pay enough, so they didn't finish, or I paid too much and they just left with the $$. They never stuck around for me to figure it out, so I will go with the paid too much theory.
This guy does a great job on web sites. I can't say enough good about him. And he's a fellow boater to boot. Very fair and gets right on it.
K-flat's info right HERE (http://www.sweetperformance.com/k-flat.htm)

h2oski2fast
09-13-2005, 05:30 PM
I've done website or two. Come to think of it maybe more. ;)
www.leashclip.com (One of RD's Dad's companies)
www.dbgconcepts.com
www.hillbankmotorsports.com
www.occarparts.com
This is my best sales pitch, I'm not cheap.... but it will get done.