PDA

View Full Version : First time out for Sanger/ Trouble

Towndrunk
09-12-2005, 08:26 PM
I got this Sanger and didn't know much about it. It had plugged acc pump nozzels so I cleaned them. I took it out today and here is what happened.
#1 The motor started and ran fine as long as it was out of gear. When I put it in gear it backfired almost taking the hair off my ears. Back in neutral runs fine. Timeing or carbs sync?
#2 The impellar was shot so I put in a new one. It still ran hot, very hot. I am the first to tell you I dont know anything about a runner v drive. Where should I look to rectify this?
#3 I take it that a down pedal is just that. When you push down on it it keeps the bow down? I am short legged and had a hard time keeping bow down. Is this adjustable or will I have to move my seat around?
#4 Seemed to have a lost of leaks. I think tomorrow I will plug the back and fill with water to see if it's the stuffing box or turning thing leaking?
#5 Wife wanted to bail when carbs caught on fire. Should I get rid of her or fix the boat?
Thanks
TD

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
09-12-2005, 08:50 PM
I got this Sanger and didn't know much about it. It had plugged acc pump nozzels so I cleaned them. I took it out today and here is what happened.
#1 The motor started and ran fine as long as it was out of gear. When I put it in gear it backfired almost taking the hair off my ears. Back in neutral runs fine. Timeing or carbs sync?
#2 The impellar was shot so I put in a new one. It still ran hot, very hot. I am the first to tell you I dont know anything about a runner v drive. Where should I look to rectify this?
#3 I take it that a down pedal is just that. When you push down on it it keeps the bow down? I am short legged and had a hard time keeping bow down. Is this adjustable or will I have to move my seat around?
#4 Seemed to have a lost of leaks. I think tomorrow I will plug the back and fill with water to see if it's the stuffing box or turning thing leaking?
#5 Wife wanted to bail when carbs caught on fire. Should I get rid of her or fix the boat?
Thanks
TD
bump it up to 40 degrees when its running.
take the impeller out,force feed it.
a lot of down makes a wake..becareful by 5mph areas.
pump every zerk fiting with grease.
tell her to to like it,or make a sandwich on the beach!
hope that helps
:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

QuickJet
09-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks
TD
When I first took mine out I had the same problem with it dying in gear. Ends up it was a combination between timming and the accelerato pumps being shot.
When not racing you should be able to lock out the down pedal. Do this when your cruising around so your left leg doesn't go numb. And yes if you can't push it down all the way move the seat accordingly.
I force fed mine as well and have never had a heating issue.

GofastRacer
09-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks
TD
Check your PM's!.. ;)

sgdiv7
09-12-2005, 09:18 PM
I think you need to take the fittings off between the water pump & the timing cover apart and get the chunks of rubber that are stuck. With phoenix area mile long no wake zones you need a water pump. If all your boating Is at the river you don't need one.
As for how it runs you need to talk to Gordy on the boards, That little guy can fix anything. I know you have seen a photo of him, he is the new king of the circus midgets
Bill

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
09-12-2005, 09:25 PM
I think you need to take the fittings off between the water pump & the timing cover apart and get the chunks of rubber that are stuck. With phoenix area mile long no wake zones you need a water pump. If all your boating Is at the river you don't need one.
As for how it runs you need to talk to Gordy on the boards, That little guy can fix anything. I know you have seen a photo of him, he is the new king of the circus midgets
Bill
gordy????/
listen its as easy as 123-abc........listen to us on the boards, :D

Sanger73G.W.
09-12-2005, 09:31 PM
I'm new to the boards but since I've got a Sanger and have had the same problems I'll try to help. With it out of gear, run the engine up to about 3000rpm and adujst the timing until it sounds sweet. I tried to time mine with a light and it didn't work. You've got some impellar pieces lodged in your pump or up stream from your pump. Look at every tight bend, and remove the fitting and you'll probably find pieces. On your pedal, if your porpising all the time, try adjusting your turnbuckels on the cav. plate down a few turns. On my plate there's also an adjustment on the acuating rod to hold some pedal on without pushing on the pedal. With the plate adjusted right most of the time I don't need pedal until I start putting on some speed. Right now the plate is flat level with the bottom with no down pressure. My rudder stuffing box is worn and the seal is junk, so before I go out I pump the stuffing box full of marine bearing grease. A SS racer friend of mine told me to turn the wheel all the way to the rightand pump it full, same to the left and in the middle. Seems to help. I've got to rreplace the box and the rudder this winter when I blow the boat apart to paint it. Hell if your wife got in the boat, keep her and fix the boat, my girlfriend won't go within 20' of my Sanger. Hope this helps.

Towndrunk
09-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I am not too proud to ask for help so bring it on!!!!!
TD

BrendellaJet
09-13-2005, 06:04 AM
leave your wife at home until you get everything figured out!

Kim Hanson
09-13-2005, 08:30 AM
TD, good to hear you got it out and the backfires cause fires, look at my scoop after a back fire that caught fire :cry:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72firepit.JPG
The next time you put it in the water sit in the boat as you have someone back it in, you might be able to see where the water is coming in........( . )( . ).........If it has a t-handle, put it second notch from the top and let her rip.. :cool:

ACCEPTENCE
09-13-2005, 09:02 AM
My moneys on Jim Anderson!!!
He's the man to help you with these problems. He also lives in the Pheonix area. He's not been on the boards lately but I'll bet someone here knows how to get a hold of him.
He's the best when it comes to flatties, he's got a vast knowledge of the inner workings and I've heard he's artist when it comes to paint.
Give him a shout :D

Morg
09-13-2005, 09:41 AM
He's the man to help you with these problems. He also lives in the Pheonix area. He's not been on the boards lately but I'll bet someone here knows how to get a hold of him.
He's the best when it comes to flatties, he's got a vast knowledge of the inner workings and I've heard he's artist when it comes to paint.
Nice post cheif :hammerhea :hammerhea
Unforltunatly Jim appears to have a split personality, Almost bi-polar. :) :)

lucky
09-13-2005, 09:48 AM
jimmies running a stand on almo and 13th in phoneix , best dam doggie tacos this side of the range :eek:

Just Tool'n
09-13-2005, 10:35 AM
What motor is in that sanger?
A Chrysler, I saw the Dist sitting in sideways at the normal front of the motor, oh sorry about the little fire, those things are a bitch, messing up all of your hard work!

Kim Hanson
09-13-2005, 11:25 AM
What motor is in that sanger?
A Chrysler, I saw the Dist sitting in sideways at the normal front of the motor, oh sorry about the little fire, those things are a bitch, messing up all of your hard work!
TD has a chev big block in his Sanger
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72post-2-1125198293.jpg
and my Marlin has a 440 in it and the scoop is all fixed up again........( . )( . )............. :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0987.JPG

ColeTR2
09-13-2005, 05:18 PM
I think I saw Jim Anderson making taco's in Desert Center, at that little stand :confused: I don't think the internet has got there yet :messedup:

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
09-13-2005, 06:00 PM
TD, good to hear you got it out and the backfires cause fires, look at my scoop after a back fire that caught fire :cry:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72firepit.JPG
The next time you put it in the water sit in the boat as you have someone back it in, you might be able to see where the water is coming in........( . )( . ).........If it has a t-handle, put it second notch from the top and let her rip.. :cool:
is that a fuel regulator mounted on the muffler bracket???????????

Jordy
09-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Good eye. It certainly appears to be a pressure regulator. :( :rolleyes: :D

Kim Hanson
09-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Yes but those headers have water going through them at all time, so its cool to touch the headers at anytime when its in the water..........( . )( . )......... :D

Monkey Bung
09-13-2005, 07:56 PM
TD has a chev big block in his Sanger
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72post-2-1125198293.jpg
and my Marlin has a 440 in it and the scoop is all fixed up again........( . )( . )............. :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0987.JPG
Kim the boat looks a little better since you took the saws-all to the buggie seats! :)

Kim Hanson
09-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Kim the boat looks a little better since you took the saws-all to the buggie seats! :)
It will look better after this winter, one gas tank at the back and im going to make new small seats out of wood for it and maybe build in sub box's into them also.........( . )( . ).......Get some tribal flames painted on her or old school ones, don't know which ones yet :cool:

ACCEPTENCE
09-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I've heard that said of him a few times. :frown:
I called him today and his phone is disconnected again. :notam:
Taco business must not be doing so good, Desert Center??? maybe he needs a new location. I hear Upland is booming!!! :idea:

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
09-14-2005, 08:09 PM
i think kimmie used a 18" square to the top of the buggy seats. :eek:

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
09-14-2005, 08:10 PM
i think kimmie used a 18" square to the top of the buggy seats. :eek:
and about that fuel regulator location.......... :D

Towndrunk
09-14-2005, 08:25 PM
I solved the over heating mystery today thanks to gofastracer. The vanes to the old impeller were stuck in the tubes and took another impeller out. Where in Phx can I get these?
Thanks
TD