PDA

View Full Version : YOU GUYS WONT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-18-2003, 07:21 PM
I went out with one of my friends yesterday to Lake pleasant on his jet boat and I was amazed. We started his boat up at 12:00 and the oil pressure was sitting at 25lb @ idle. We let it idle in the no wake zone for about 10 minutes then did a hard run for about five minutes and came back in. i was wondering about his low oil pressure. So we hooked a hand held pressure guage and made a hard run for about 20 minutes. The guae in the dash was reading @ 10lbs hot and guess what the hald held guage read? You guessed it 10 lbs! He was holding the throttle wide open for periods of 5 minutes at a time all day! I was really worried and looking for the rods to shoot out of the block but I got nothing. Now my question is how and the hell does a motor run 2 full seasons on 10lbs of oil pressure???? he told me that his pressure never goes over 25lbs! And the funny thing is that his boat is running an honest 75mph. he is spinning 4600 rpm's and thats it. The motor is a ford 460 with a steel crank,9.5-1 comp,ported dove c heads with comp stainless rollers,tunnel ram,dual carter 500's and an md\sd 6al. I know I am a chevy guy but I have to say it "Fords do run like a bad out oif hell" ONLY because I have seen it with my own eyes! The funnier thing is he n\laughs about it like its nothing! I was scared when I saw the oil pressure. I probablly would had a heart attack if that was going on in my boat eek!

Hallett
08-18-2003, 07:24 PM
must be that slick 50 he put in
as seen on tv.

LakesOnly
08-18-2003, 07:25 PM
25 lbs is still 25 lbs....that allows for some film strength/protection.
More importantly, a Ford is still a Ford...so it holds up.
Perhaps it helps somewhat that the larger diameter rod journals of a Ford distribute the load of the power stroke over a greater surface area.
So Spit, when ya gettin' a Ford? :D
LO
[ August 18, 2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

Hallett19
08-18-2003, 07:53 PM
Damn spit, everything you touch breaks playa !!! :D Good thing its a Ford, like lakes said, those guys can build a motor !!!

77charger
08-18-2003, 08:03 PM
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
The motor is a ford 460 with a steel crank,9.5-1 comp,ported dove c heads with comp stainless rollers,tunnel ram,dual carter 500's and an md\sd 6al. I know I am a chevy guy but I have to say it "Fords do run like a bad out oif hell" :
396 this is your answer. :D :D

08-18-2003, 11:21 PM
OIL PRESSURE?????? WE DON'T GOT TO SHOW YOU NO STINKIN' OIL PRESSURE.....built Ford Tough!

HOSS
08-19-2003, 05:59 AM
I`m with ya 396. That is too low for me. I do believe that a 460 is actually over oiled. My guess would be a weak pump. When I built mine I used a low pressure high volume pump. But I wasn`t getting 25 on the gauge. I would be willing to bet though that the cam shows deffinate signs of wear.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-19-2003, 10:47 AM
LakesOnly:
25 lbs is still 25 lbs....that allows for some film strength/protection.
More importantly, a Ford is still a Ford...so it holds up.
Perhaps it helps somewhat that the larger diameter rod journals of a Ford distribute the load of the power stroke over a greater surface area.
So Spit, when ya gettin' a Ford? :D
LO 25lbs @ idle cold! i was reading 10lbs hot!!! eek! eek! I told him to open that rthing up and look inside and see whats going on. I already own a ford(429) but i dont have any plans on running it wink I have a 454 going in my other boat that i am currently building up :D :D Oh and I still have my olds to play with thats running good :D :D

Wet Dream
08-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Don't let BigKat read this. He'll tell you you're all wrong. That play toy motor is wrong. :rolleyes:

77charger
08-19-2003, 04:22 PM
hey 396 you ought to give that 429 a try in tyour boat.I had one in mine and it worked well.Here in so cal i see them in the wrecking yards all the time.I tried nos on mine with stock internals pushed the buttton for 20 seconds still running strong today(my brother now owns it).Ran more than a few bottles thru it too.
The thing i liked the most is that if it blew up i can get another one one going for about 3-400 bucks total and still have spares left over.

LakesOnly
08-19-2003, 06:30 PM
77charger:
hey 396 you ought to give that 429 a try...I had one...tried nos on mine with stock internals pushed the buttton for 20 seconds still running strong today. Ran more than a few bottles thru it too.
The thing i liked the most is that if it blew up i can get another one one going for about 3-400 bucks total and still have spares left over. Nitrous on a an old stock motor and it holds up with no complaints. WOW.
This 429/460 Ford engine family is downright awesome.
LO

77charger
08-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Lakes only all i did was re ring and put in new bearings.The NOS was a 125 hp version.many thought it would not last thru 1 bottle.That was 12 bottles ago :D
From my research the bbfs have a very stout lower end and the cranks have proved to be stron except for the snout area(bad for blowers)Like i said if i blew it up no big deal i could find another one.they run about 80 bucks for a short block 120 for a long block.Now all i have left is a set of car rods,d1ve block(broken main stud :mad: ),and a 429 crank.and a boat that is small block chevy powered that has room for more passengers :)

HOSS
08-19-2003, 08:17 PM
And I have your fuel pump eccentrics! :p

77charger
08-19-2003, 08:19 PM
HOSS:
And I have your fuel pump eccentrics! :p that is true. use of good leftover parts.Although beached1 said that if you call him a fag again he will have me repo them :D :D :D

HOSS
08-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Wouldn`t think of it. i`m reformed. Hangin` back where I belong,,,in GEARHEADS!
Lookin` at houses. Man I`m sick of it. I know there is no perfect house, location, modernization. But where do you draw the line? Found one I like, ol` lady likes, inground pool, big ass garage, rear yard access(must), but the old guy selling was restoring a vette and blew up in the garage. He retired and did busy work around the house. That ain`t my gig and I ain`t payin` for it. KnowadImean?

HOSS
08-20-2003, 09:39 AM
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread 396.
[ August 20, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

Danhercules
08-21-2003, 11:23 AM
LakesOnly:
77charger:
hey 396 you ought to give that 429 a try...I had one...tried nos on mine with stock internals pushed the buttton for 20 seconds still running strong today. Ran more than a few bottles thru it too.
The thing i liked the most is that if it blew up i can get another one one going for about 3-400 bucks total and still have spares left over. Nitrous on a an old stock motor and it holds up with no complaints. WOW.
This 429/460 Ford engine family is downright awesome.
LO Hey LO,
Thats what I need, the little blue bottle!!!
:D wink

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-26-2003, 07:49 PM
77charger:
hey 396 you ought to give that 429 a try in tyour boat.I had one in mine and it worked well.Here in so cal i see them in the wrecking yards all the time.I tried nos on mine with stock internals pushed the buttton for 20 seconds still running strong today(my brother now owns it).Ran more than a few bottles thru it too.
The thing i liked the most is that if it blew up i can get another one one going for about 3-400 bucks total and still have spares left over. No thanks bro wink I think I will stick with my 454 BBC for my "other" boat :D As for the lil' blue bottle......I dont think so :D