PDA

View Full Version : Rail Mount Help

Wet Dream
05-08-2006, 09:30 PM
This is for the guys that have rail kits, or anyone who might be able to help. I'm wondering if your rails seem to run parallel with the top of the stringers or if the front is set a little lower to compensate and give the engine an even setting when the boat is in the water? I know that the rails will not be flush with the top of the stringers, but do they seem to follow the same line? Pics would really be appreciated if you have some handy.

poncho-pwr
05-08-2006, 10:18 PM
My rails are 1/4" below the top of the stringers and they are not slanted in either direction. In other words they are mounted the same distance down in the front and in the rear...1/4"
Does that answer your question?

HBjet
05-08-2006, 10:35 PM
The rails you want level, and the front and rear motor plates you want cut to put your motor inline with your pump, or you can say, in angle. As for the height of the rails on the stringer, first make sure you install them high enough so the oil pan clears the hull and intake.
HBjet

tahitijet
05-08-2006, 11:27 PM
This is for the guys that have rail kits, or anyone who might be able to help. I'm wondering if your rails seem to run parallel with the top of the stringers or if the front is set a little lower to compensate and give the engine an even setting when the boat is in the water? I know that the rails will not be flush with the top of the stringers, but do they seem to follow the same line? Pics would really be appreciated if you have some handy.
i think you'll find the motor will have to have a decline towards the transom in order for the crank centerline to closely match the pump center line.
my rails are also parrallel to the stringers but are almost even with the top. the hieight will be dertermined by your oil pan to bilge clearance. I set my oil pan 1/4" above the intake bolts and that put my rails pretty much flush with the top.

tahitijet
05-08-2006, 11:35 PM
also you can tell in this pic that the headers are built to adjust for the motor being tilted back so they come out almost parrallel to the boat. as luck would have it the tunnel ram is stagered (rear carb higher then the front) i'm guessing for more even air flow to both carbs? which tilts the scoop to almost parrallel as well.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P8120090-med.JPG
if you look at the valve cover in this pic you can see how much angle towards the rear there is in order to line the pump and motor up. as hbjet said that angle is done by adjust your motor plates.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P8120088-med.JPG
hope that helps

b's sanger
05-09-2006, 06:30 AM
My rails are below the top of the stringers and even from front to back. You have to take into consideration the geometry of your pump position, stringer hight and motor mount dimensions. I had my motor hanging on the hoist for quite a while til i got it right. Measure 10 times, drill once.

Wet Dream
05-09-2006, 06:50 AM
This is what makes the boards so great. What would I do without you? ;)

BrendellaJet
05-09-2006, 06:55 AM
My rails are below the top of the stringers and even from front to back. You have to take into consideration the geometry of your pump position, stringer hight and motor mount dimensions. I had my motor hanging on the hoist for quite a while til i got it right. Measure 10 times, drill once.
Ditto this.
Mine are also even. I actually mounted my rails where I wanted them before I even made the mounts. Once the rails are in you can concentrate on the design of the mounts and how best to position them so that the crankshaft centerline and pump centerline are within tolerance. Hopefully your pan allows this. Mine was a little tight and so I raised the back of the motor about an 1/8th inch (about a 1/4 inch total difference) so my dooley pan would not rub on the pump screws. Since then I've decided to go with an olsen pan and was told it is shallower than the dooley by a touch, so hopefully I can drop the rear of the motor a touch.

Cs19
05-09-2006, 07:04 AM
Ive seen lots of boats rigged with the rails on an angle, I think it looks weird but there is nothing wrong with that.

ONAROLL
05-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Lay a straight edge across your stringers directely in front of your pump output shaft, it will give you a good idea of the positioning of your rails...Vic

Wicked Performance Boats
05-09-2006, 05:43 PM
The rails are either mounted straight along the stringers permanently. or at an angle with the pump, so you can move the motor forward without changing the motor plate mounts. I personally like to be able to move the motor forward without making spacers to lift the motor. My 2 cents. Budlight

Nucking futs
05-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Ive seen lots of boats rigged with the rails on an angle, I think it looks weird but there is nothing wrong with that.
I think you look weird.... :)
I mounted mine on an angle so i would'nt have to trim the plates. Did'nt want to make 2 or 3 before I got it right. They say measure twice cut once, but I never get that lucky so I took the easy way out.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1638100_0359-med.JPG

Wet Dream
05-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the help, and she's in.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/352Mvc-684f.jpg

Cs19
05-10-2006, 07:07 AM
I think you look weird.... :)
I mounted mine on an angle so i would'nt have to trim the plates. Did'nt want to make 2 or 3 before I got it right. They say measure twice cut once, but I never get that lucky so I took the easy way out.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1638100_0359-med.JPG
thats looking good tim!!