PDA

View Full Version : duallie - GMC or Ford??

NewGuy
09-13-2005, 10:29 AM
I need to buy a new duallie for towing golf carts & the boat. It will be 2wd, automatic, extended cab or 4 door, and I will be putting a flatbed on it. Should I get the GMC or the Ford?

Beer-30
09-13-2005, 10:37 AM
I am a GM guy, and Photoglu here on the boards can assist you with that.
As far as 4-d vs. Xcab, there is probably a 1000-1500 difference, if that. I would always stick with 4-d these days. When you go to sell it, no one will want the Xcab.

NewGuy
09-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks. Any technical input would be appreciated.

INSman
09-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Are you thinking of GAS or DIESEL ??

NewGuy
09-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Definetly need diesel.

Flashover
09-13-2005, 12:00 PM
GM 4 Door.. :D

sigepmock
09-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Buddy of mine bought an 06 Ford F350 dually "Tow Boss" package or something and it is overheating on him towing his 6000lb boat. It's supposed to tow up to 23,000lbs and it's over heating with the boat. Been to the dealer four times and looks likes he's starting the buy back deal this week. He had an F250 before this and it started having tranny problems. He's looking for a new Chevy as we speak. If you can wait the new Chevy Diesel will be out in a month or two, LBZ motor, 350HP and 650ft/lbs along with the Alison 6 speed auto. Should tow pretty nice and I'm sure Jay Photoglou could hook you up like he did the rest of us.
Just my $.02,
Chris

Beer-30
09-13-2005, 03:36 PM
There ya go.

Woodster
09-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Buddy of mine bought an 06 Ford F350 dually "Tow Boss" package or something and it is overheating on him towing his 6000lb boat. It's supposed to tow up to 23,000lbs and it's over heating with the boat. Been to the dealer four times and looks likes he's starting the buy back deal this week. He had an F250 before this and it started having tranny problems. He's looking for a new Chevy as we speak. If you can wait the new Chevy Diesel will be out in a month or two, LBZ motor, 350HP and 650ft/lbs along with the Alison 6 speed auto. Should tow pretty nice and I'm sure Jay Photoglou could hook you up like he did the rest of us.
Just my $.02,
Chris
Is he sure it was overheating or was it just giving that reading with the gauge?? Reason I ask is my 05 F250 does the same thing..I havent had time to get it to the dealer..I was told the gauge is reading wrong and its fine for now?? Thanks

ZBODaytona
09-14-2005, 12:03 PM
I have an 05 F350 crew 4x4 with the 6.0. I ordered it with the towboss package. Comes with 4.30 gears. It tows better than any dually I have been in, even my buddy with d-max dually likes it....Knock on wood over 6000 miles with no problems so far. Gas milage is around 16 in the city and doesn't change much on the highway runing 80. Of course if I didn't drive as fast or hot rod as much could be better. No over heating problems here and we have been hot this summer in FL... Also i think the room in crew cab fords is better, that and the solid axel are two main reasons for me that i chose the ford over the chevy.

NewGuy
09-14-2005, 12:38 PM
I have an 05 F350 crew 4x4 with the 6.0. I ordered it with the towboss package. Comes with 4.30 gears. It tows better than any dually I have been in, even my buddy with d-max dually likes it....Knock on wood over 6000 miles with no problems so far. Gas milage is around 16 in the city and doesn't change much on the highway runing 80. Of course if I didn't drive as fast or hot rod as much could be better. No over heating problems here and we have been hot this summer in FL... Also i think the room in crew cab fords is better, that and the solid axel are two main reasons for me that i chose the ford over the chevy.
The ford does seem to have quite a bit more room in the rear seat. I appreciate the input. Good luck with the new rig.

sigepmock
09-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Is he sure it was overheating or was it just giving that reading with the gauge?? Reason I ask is my 05 F250 does the same thing..I havent had time to get it to the dealer..I was told the gauge is reading wrong and its fine for now?? Thanks
He was actually getting the SES light and it was going into Limp mode. I have heard of the guage issue, I have also heard of some of the 05 and 06 LLY Chevy Dmaxs overheating too. So I guess it's a crap shoot as to whether you get a good one or not. Honestly I like both trucks but went with the Chevy DMax because of the stronger tranny, that Allison is great and with the mods I've made to the truck I don't have to worry about it blowing up.
Chris

Eliminator 4 Life
09-14-2005, 03:40 PM
The ford does seem to have quite a bit more room in the rear seat. I appreciate the input. Good luck with the new rig.
The ford hands down has more room in the front and the rear :D

Beer-30
09-14-2005, 04:35 PM
The only overheating I have heard on Dmax is with a "bolt-on" billet grille. The combination of the original grille with the billet overlay is too much restriction. Fan clutch engaged almost all the time. Apparently, it's one or the other, but not both!

Wild Twin
09-15-2005, 05:12 PM
I think Chevy is the way to go. My bro had a 2004 duramax, it was such a hot truck that it got stolen. They have that new 6 speed automatic. Bad ass tranny. I know know they are selling the newer chevys with two electric fans instead of the regular fan and fan shroud. You get more power with the electric fans.

River918
09-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Been a Chevy guy my whole life, but decided to buy a 2004 Ford 6.0 PSD in 2003. Worst mistake I ever made. Truck has been in the shop around a dozen times for over 30 days (loss(es) of power, Blown innercoolers, oil leaks, etc....),,,worst part, I only have 12K miles on it. I'm going through the Lemon Law process and will be returning to Chevy....Just my experience, I know alot of people are completely satisfied with their Fords.