PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive noise

phebus
09-13-2005, 10:49 AM
I have a terrible knock coming from the gimbal area of my outdrive. It sounds like rod knock, but when you open the engine hatch, the noise is definately not coming from the engine. If you stick your head back over the transom, it is really loud. You can hear it in neutral and while in gear.
I assume it is the u joints or coupler, but is there a way to determine which it is before pulling the drive?
I tried to get it over to Absolute Sunday, but they were out of town, and closed.
Thanks

HocusPocus
09-13-2005, 10:55 AM
sounds like the u-joint.. when i had my coupler go out it just made a lot of smoke.

phebus
09-13-2005, 11:03 AM
I know to replace the coupler, the engine needs to be pulled, but can the u joint be replaced by just pulling the outdrive?

spectras only
09-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Pull the drive and inspect/replace the u-joints , it's that simple . The coupler's splines can be seen through the bearing while you're at it.

phebus
09-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks, I have an extended Mercury warranty, so I need to find who in Havasu I want to replace it that's Merc. certified. Maybe Alco, since Absolute isn't Merc certified yet.

Havasu Hangin'
09-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Do you have internal flaps in your exhast tips?

phebus
09-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Do you have internal flaps in your exhast tips?
Yes, and I checked them when the noise first started, and they are fine, as well as the rubber flappers.
This noise has become very loud, as if someone is hitting the rounded part of the outdrive that mounts to the gimbal. You can actually feel a banging going on in there when you put your hand on that section of the outdrive. The sound got louder and louder as I worked my way back to the launch ramp. I was expecting something to let loose, and break the casting on the drive.
I have an extended Mercury warranty, so I have to get it in and repaired before using it again.

Havasu Hangin'
09-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Yes, and I checked them when the noise first started, and they are fine, as well as the rubber flappers.
Does it get louder as you rev the engine?

phebus
09-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Does it get louder as you rev the engine?
It's flat LOUD all the time, but yes, I believe it was louder at throttle.

ray
09-14-2005, 08:19 AM
sounds like the gimbel bearing.