PDA

View Full Version : Any VW Gurus here?

Powerquestboy
09-13-2005, 12:51 PM
I have a 2001 Jetta 1.8T and my timing belt broke this morning. The mechanic says its a Collision motor and so I definitley ruined the valves etc. Anyone know if this is correct?

Riverkid
09-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Could very well be. If the cam and crank get out of sync (like when you break the timing belt), all kinds of bad juju happens when the pistons start smacking the valves...

76ANTHONY
09-13-2005, 01:07 PM
it could be have him remove the head, it is a close tolerance engine :cool:

Jetdriver
09-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Time for a full rebuild! Sorry but your mechanic is true!

Powerquestboy
09-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Awesome! I guess I should have traded it in a few weeks ago when I was looking at new cars.

totenhosen
09-13-2005, 02:43 PM
go to vwvortex.com and you can find out. There is also a guy one there by the username Countblah that has a shop in Phx that can help you out.

JB in so cal
09-13-2005, 02:54 PM
If it was about 25 years older and air cooled, you could ask boatcop ;)

Boatcop
09-13-2005, 03:47 PM
If it was about 25 years older and air cooled, you could ask boatcop ;)
Even 25 years is too new. The last one made (for the US) was in 1978 (for the 1979 model year 'Vert)
Mine is 36 years old, and is more mechanically sound than any new POS Jetta, GTI or "new" Beetle coming off the ASSembly line.

JB in so cal
09-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Even 25 years is too new. The last one made (for the US) was in 1978 (for the 1979 model year 'Vert)
Mine is 36 years old, and is more mechanically sound than any new POS Jetta, GTI or "new" Beetle coming off the ASSembly line.
BC,
my brother jusy sold his 66 campervan; had the pop top. All original. Picked up new by my Grandma at the factory and driven around for 2 weeks before she put it on the SS France (Old QEII). Original 6 volt, 1200 ci, I think. I rode in that thing driving home from Colorado - about 50 mph was all she could do.

Bahner21
09-13-2005, 04:23 PM
my wife has a vw beetle....all i can say is sell it as soon as possible.

Hallett19
09-13-2005, 05:11 PM
VW's are GARBAGE !! I have two girl friends who have jettas, one is a 2000 the other is 2001 and they are constantly having problems with them.
How many miles does it have on it where the timing belt goes out on you ???

MikeF
09-13-2005, 05:15 PM
I love it when a normally $400 dollar job turns into a $2000+ dollar job. :messedup:
I'm soon to get a $17000 long block from Lexus for one I'm working on.........yes. Too bad I don't make commission on the parts sale. :supp:

phebus
09-13-2005, 05:24 PM
No free lash means bent valves, and piston damage.

Froggystyle
09-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Talk to Hoss. Guru indeed.

76ANTHONY
09-13-2005, 05:27 PM
sounds like its time to buy a used engine and sell it

Powerquestboy
09-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Well this car is fast as hell, fun to drive and has 88K trouble free miles on it. The head is coming off tomorrow to see the extent of the damage but the mechanic seems to think I might get away with a vavle job, new timing belt, water pump. Then it will get traded in.
I am however real partial to my 66 bug, its all original with a crank sunroof. I even have the original window sticker. I am just begining to restore it so anyone with knowledge or parts let me know. Only problem with this car is it scares the shit out me to drive on the freeways in rush hour traffic. One good hit and I'm dead.
Thanks for the help.

Jordy
09-13-2005, 06:04 PM
One good hit and I'm dead.
Be the hammer, not the nail. ;) :D

Norseman
09-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Yea but didn't they make them in South America until the late 90's?????
There was a company in NJ that was bring them in!

Boatcop
09-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Yea but didn't they make them in South America until the late 90's?????
There was a company in NJ that was bring them in!
They were built in Mexico until 2 years ago. The Mexican Beetles are "Grey Market" vehicles that couldn't be registered for highway use in the US, since they didn't meet US Safety and Emission Standards.
Although there is a business in Nogales named "Beetle Mex". They would take an older Bug, strip it down to the pan, recondition the chassis, and haul it across the border to Mexico, where they would install all new parts off a "new" air-cooled Mexican Beetle. They would then bring it back to the US and sell it. They we're running around $11,000 ($12,000 with "factory" A/C)
Since vehicles are registered basd on the year of the frame/chassis, you would register it with the existing title, as the year of the original frame. Although in reality, everything except the frame would be brand new.
They then take the body and other parts from the old beetle, put them on the "new" Mexican frame and sell it in Mexico. That's the only way to (legally) get a "new" Mexican Beetle into the US.
Unfortunately, since the Beetles are no longer being made, their supply dried up and they no longer do this.

Oldsquirt
09-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Well this car is fast as hell, fun to drive and has 88K trouble free miles on it. The head is coming off tomorrow to see the extent of the damage but the mechanic seems to think I might get away with a vavle job, new timing belt, water pump. Then it will get traded in..
Might ask the shop to do a quick leakdown test on that thing before tearing the head off. That will give conclusive evidence as to which valves , if any , are bent. Although rare, I've had a few "interference engines" lose timing belts and NOT bend any valves. Probably just luck and the fact that they were at a low rpm at the time.
88k miles seems awful early to break a belt. Does VW still drive the waterpump with the timing belt like the original water-cooled fours? BTW, if the valves are bent, there's a good chance that the guides have also sustained damage.

MikeF
09-13-2005, 06:58 PM
My 3.0 Toyota truck timing belt broke at 38k. No damage done as it is a non interference engine. Toyota took care of it.
Friend works at a highend european shop. Says....guy shows up w/ his 944 for a 60k service (timing belt part of this service)....says, I'll have the timing belt changed at the next service...vehicle leaves...back in a few days on a flat bed w/8 bent exhaust valves. Did'nt spend the money then, definately paying him to fix it this time. Decisions, decisions.
Preventative maintenance usually goes a long way.

Powerquestboy
09-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Might ask the shop to do a quick leakdown test on that thing before tearing the head off. That will give conclusive evidence as to which valves , if any , are bent. Although rare, I've had a few "interference engines" lose timing belts and NOT bend any valves. Probably just luck and the fact that they were at a low rpm at the time.
88k miles seems awful early to break a belt. Does VW still drive the waterpump with the timing belt like the original water-cooled fours? BTW, if the valves are bent, there's a good chance that the guides have also sustained damage.
Thanks for the advise I will ask him to do a leak down test. I'm not sure about the water pump but decided that its a good idea to change it while we are in there and its like 50 bucks. The wierd thing about the belt is it didnt break, the rubber teeth just stripped off one section. The VW owners manuel doesnt reccomend changing it until 105,000 miles. But it is suppose to be checked every other service after like 70K. Also I had come to a complete stop and was idleing when it went so I hope I got lucky.