PDA

View Full Version : plumbing on watercooled headers??

jonnwald
05-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Just received my new watercooled lightning headers but the instructions don't tell you how to plumb them. I had logs before and any help would be appreciated.

SmokinLowriderSS
05-09-2006, 02:47 AM
Run the incoming water line to the "T" just as before,
Spit that line to the front of the block, water now enters the block first, then the exhaust, backward from the headers,
Run the lines from the thermostat housing to each header manifold,
Feed the manifold ports to the bottom of each tube. Done.

Hokey Pokey
05-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Run the incoming water line to the "T" just as before,
Spit that line to the front of the block, water now enters the block first, then the exhaust, backward from the headers,
Run the lines from the thermostat housing to each header manifold,
Feed the manifold ports to the bottom of each tube. Done.I was told to go to exhaust first to warm up water then to water pump then out the thermostat to back of headers. :confused:

Taylorman
05-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I was told to go to exhaust first to warm up water then to water pump then out the thermostat to back of headers. :confused:
He has water jacketed headers, not logs.

Hokey Pokey
05-09-2006, 10:36 AM
He has water jacketed headers, not logs. I got a new pair of lighting headers too. Mine has the preheat outlet for the kansas cold water.

SmokinLowriderSS
05-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I got a new pair of lighting headers too. Mine has the preheat outlet for the kansas cold water.
A preheat OUTLET??? Now, there is a preheat kit you can have added to the headers, I think it's about another 150 bucks but I do not have it. There is an extra port on my aft L/H tube but that goes to the same jacketing. A good place for a gauge (press or temp), followed by a pipe plug. The preheat option adds ports at the top of the headers, if you don't have them, you don't have the option.
From Lightning:
PRE-HEAT ENGINE WATER OPTION The header is divided into two compartments Water first enters bottom of headers then is removed thru 1/2" fittings at the very top Then water enters inlets of block This is for the uses without a thermostat.
List Price: $149.99

SmokinLowriderSS
05-09-2006, 02:18 PM
I was told to go to exhaust first to warm up water then to water pump then out the thermostat to back of headers. :confused:
The jacketed headers are not normally made to do pre-heat chores. Lightning is the only ones I have seen that offer it as an option.
Btw, where are you at in Ks Hokey? I'm just N of Wichita a half-hr. :)

Hokey Pokey
05-09-2006, 07:21 PM
A preheat OUTLET??? Now, there is a preheat kit you can have added to the headers, I think it's about another 150 bucks but I do not have it. There is an extra port on my aft L/H tube but that goes to the same jacketing. A good place for a gauge (press or temp), followed by a pipe plug. The preheat option adds ports at the top of the headers, if you don't have them, you don't have the option.
From Lightning:
PRE-HEAT ENGINE WATER OPTION The header is divided into two compartments Water first enters bottom of headers then is removed thru 1/2" fittings at the very top Then water enters inlets of block This is for the uses without a thermostat.
List Price: $149.99That is the one's I got . Had it out once. : RUNS LIKE A BITCH. Best buy I made all winter!! :D

jonnwald
05-09-2006, 07:23 PM
So you have to run a thermostat for the standard lightning headers???

SmokinLowriderSS
05-10-2006, 02:55 AM
No

kachina_labala
05-10-2006, 04:15 AM
Be careful. When I changed over I had a few issues. The lightning’s don’t flow as much as logs. This can cause pressure (because of more restriction) and heat issues. My current setup is to come out of the pump, through a filter and downstream pressure regulator And to the engine. Its a Watts, p/n N35BU which is a Grainger p/n 6LM11.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4896pressure_reg-med.jpg
100% of the water goes through the engine. On my intake manifold below the thermostat there is a tap to allow water flow out before the thermostat. From this tap I feed the headers. I have a thermostat in place and through the thermostat I dump overboard. The headers receive 100% of the water flow when the engine is below 140 F. I don’t have a pressure issue because of the regulator. When the temp reaches above 140 the thermostat opens and allows more flow and keeps the engine nice and cool.
Running a regulator seems to be a personal choice. There are alot of accepted ways to run the cooling lines that work. This is just the way that worked for me.