PDA

View Full Version : stern powered led lights

INSman
09-13-2005, 08:22 PM
need to replace my powered/telescopic white nav light, but forgot where in the heck I ordered it from, but I think it was somewhere here in CA, any ideas ??

Phat Daddy
09-13-2005, 08:32 PM
L&L Marine in Corona

INSman
09-13-2005, 08:40 PM
L&L Marine in Corona
I think that is it !!!! :D
It is an Innovative Lighting product, just forgot where I bought it :hammerhea
Thank you sir :)

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
09-13-2005, 08:49 PM
That weiner named Bobby might be able to help. :D mR HS here

INSman
09-13-2005, 08:50 PM
That weiner named Bobby might be able to help. :D mR HS here
You are probably right, just hate to bother him :mix:

Phat Daddy
09-13-2005, 08:58 PM
I think that is it !!!! :D
It is an Innovative Lighting product, just forgot where I bought it :hammerhea
Thank you sir :)
They carry all of the Innovative Lighting Products. If you call them they can probably do everything over the phone or you can try Bobby. Good luck.

INSman
09-13-2005, 08:59 PM
They carry all of the Innovative Lighting Products. If you call them they can probably do everything over the phone or you can try Bobby. Good luck.
Mine is only like 4 months old, still gets power to the light but won't pop-up !!
Hoping for a warranty replacement, cause these ain't cheap :eek:

Phat Daddy
09-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Mine is only like 4 months old, still gets power to the light but won't pop-up !!
Call them up and give 'em hell. :devil: :D

Froggystyle
09-14-2005, 06:57 AM
We are using those lights stock, and getting them from Rex Marine (Where I heavily recommend shopping BTW...)
There are two components to the switch on that. Power to the light and power to the motor. When the light is on, the motor power drives it up using a momentary switch. When the light is off, the motor power drives it down using the same switch. Make sure it is wired properly and getting power when on or off respectively.

atomickitn
09-14-2005, 07:09 AM
blaine rex has them in stock, call them they might warrenty it , hell shock wave should warrenty it , you know i would! :rollside:

Dana Marine Products
09-14-2005, 07:11 AM
In Stock @ DMP
http://danamarineproducts.com/store.cfm?CatId=93&group_id=9
For $150.00 I'd try to warranty it first, I've never had to warranty one so I don't know how well Innovative Lighting handles warranty issues.

OGShocker
09-14-2005, 07:12 AM
hell shock wave should warrenty it , you know i would! :rollside:
Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!

INSman
09-14-2005, 07:21 AM
blaine rex has them in stock, call them they might warrenty it , hell shock wave should warrenty it , you know i would! :rollside:
Shockwave puts in the detachable pole version, I bought my own and had them install it :mad:

INSman
09-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!
Thank you Mark !!!! :hammerhea :D

atomickitn
09-14-2005, 07:53 AM
dana marine , i did not know that you stocked there products..humm , just call the lighting manufacture and tell them i belive we just sent them back to them! :idea:

OGShocker
09-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Thank you Mark !!!! :hammerhea :D
Just doing my part brother! :D

OGShocker
09-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Shockwave puts in the detachable pole version, I bought my own and had them install it :mad:
Are those standard equipment on any other "custom" boats? :devil:

Froggystyle
09-14-2005, 09:06 AM
I can name a couple...

Froggystyle
09-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Did you try troubleshooting the switching yet? Kind of a finicky little deal that could have gone wrong. Additionally, there is a blue wire that goes to the back with a connector that is the motor actuator. This could have gotten disconnected somehow.
IF you have power going to your blue wire and nothing is happenning, there is obviously a problem. Let me know if you need anything...

Dana Marine Products
09-14-2005, 09:17 AM
We keep 10-20 units in stock. That's a standard part in your rig kits.

INSman
09-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Uh yes, yes sir they are.. DANA for sure !!! :D

atomickitn
09-14-2005, 10:42 AM
We keep 10-20 units in stock. That's a standard part in your rig kits.
oh ,, for some reason i thought you had to order thouse for our kits, humm good to know, thanks :rollside:

Tom Brown
09-14-2005, 11:36 AM
I hadn't heard of these before this thread. They're super cool. I assume they run a 3 watt Lumileds Luxeon LED and they probably have a sleight bluish tint.
http://www.innovativelight.com/images/products/sm_u_052805084646.JPG
I think I'll shake down Rex Marine and see if I can talk them into shipping me one. :)

Froggystyle
09-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Question for Froggy, since he knows almost everything :p :D
Does the rear nav light has to be in a particular location, i.e., in the very rear corner of the boat? Can it be located a couple feet from the rear corner? TIA
Coast Guard regulations for boatbuilders index is at
http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/part1/reg33_84a.htm
In secion 84.03 and 84.05 you can see the vertical and horizontal spacing of lights requirements...
Here are some highlights that pertain to your boat...
(d) The masthead light, or the all-round light described in Rule 23(c), of a power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall be carried at least one meter higher than the sidelights.
(1) The masthead light or lights prescribed in Rule 23(a) shall be so placed as to be above and clear of all other lights and obstructions except as described in paragraph (f)(2) of this section.
(g) The sidelights of a power-driven vessel shall be placed at least one meter lower than the forward masthead light. They shall not be so low as to be interfered with by deck lights.
It appears that there is no specific regulation that says where it can be, only where it can't be. It must be 3 feet (one meter) taller than your side lights, which with a 36" pole you should be good to go. My stern light is 4' tall, and I placed it above the swim step on the right... out of the way of both swimmers and passengers. Plus, the added height keeps bugs that much higher than you and doesn't give you the blinding light in your vision when you look behind you at night. Pretty well above your normal field of vision.
If you have any specific questions, fire away...

JB in so cal
09-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Froggy, you're not by any chance gonna be testing at Parker 10/2 to 10/9, are you?? :idea:

Froggystyle
09-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Froggy, you're not by any chance gonna be testing at Parker 10/2 to 10/9, are you?? :idea:
Huge chance. We will have the Hot Boat and Powerboat evaluations going down then, and I can see being in Parker off and on for both of them. I don't like staying in Havasu, so I would probably prefer to tow in every morning.

JB in so cal
09-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I'll look for you. I'm gonna be at Big Bend all week. Sweet!

Froggystyle
09-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Warlock told me they'd put a power stern light in my boat in the winter, but near the back my engines fully extend underneath. About two feet from the back corner, there's enough room to get it in, but I'm wondering if that is too far forward. According to your post, it doesn't sound like there's a specific regulation.
According to my crystal ball... that would be good to go.

Froggystyle
09-14-2005, 05:51 PM
mine quit working at powell could it be a fuse?or replace the hole thing won't go up and no light?
Again, I would start with the troubleshooting aspect. Check to see if you have power at the red wire and ground at the black when the light is supposed to be lit. Then see if you have power at the blue wire when it is supposed to be in motion. If there is power to the red wire, the blue wire powered will run up the light. If there is no power to the red wire, the blue wire powered will shut the light.
It draws quite a few amps more than a regular stern light. If you are not getting power, I would, in the course of troubleshooting take a close look at any circuit protection you may have for the light and make sure it is rated for the motor load.
Wes

KACHINA KEN
09-14-2005, 06:51 PM
The next one will break too, they are poorly made and cant take the abuse, proven fact. Buy a regular stick and update to an LED in it.

Froggystyle
09-15-2005, 08:01 AM
The next one will break too, they are poorly made and cant take the abuse, proven fact. Buy a regular stick and update to an LED in it.
I have not found that to be the case. I have put them in several boats properly and found no problems at all, plus Innovative backs them up well. They sent me a replacement part that one of my guys installed improperly (lens) free of charge the next day.
It is way nicer than a stick, way better looking and has some serious bling factor to it.
I like it.

INSman
09-15-2005, 09:46 AM
I have not found that to be the case. I have put them in several boats properly and found no problems at all, plus Innovative backs them up well. They sent me a replacement part that one of my guys installed improperly (lens) free of charge the next day.
It is way nicer than a stick, way better looking and has some serious bling factor to it.
I like it.
I agree... It's the guys that think they can fly flags off of them that creates most of the problems with these things :hammer2:

RiverDave
09-15-2005, 10:03 AM
I like it.
No offense to Froggy, but I have to agree with Ken here.. Those things are a POS. I know of several boat companies that use them (standard) and all of them complain about failures within a few months... some within a few weeks. The guys I know of use them for the bling factor, but I've been asked several times if I could make something better. Little out of my league in terms of engineering budget or I would've.
RD

Froggystyle
09-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Well, it is basically a power antenna, as has been mentioned. My power antenna goes up and down every day in the car with no dramas. What problems are people having with them, and how is Innovative responding?
I can tell you who I talked to at Innovative, who I spoke with in their sales department at the MAATS show, and the assurances that I got that their product would go the distance and be a perfect fit for our boat. Who has talked to who and been denied a replacement?