PDA

View Full Version : Bow Eye

h2oboy
09-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone has fixed teir bow eye and how they did it... It is a little tight to crawl in and re glass the front, I would try it if I have to, but wanted to see if anyone else has had any success doing any other way... Thanks for the help ahead of time!!

Squirtin Thunder
09-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone has fixed teir bow eye and how they did it... It is a little tight to crawl in and re glass the front, I would try it if I have to, but wanted to see if anyone else has had any success doing any other way... Thanks for the help ahead of time!!
Yep did it. It was not fun but my bow is the strongest part of my boat by far. Todd (toddnjuzz) instructed me to make some changes. I actually replaced the wood that was in the bow also.
Jim

Mighty Thor
09-13-2005, 09:56 PM
A guy on the classic Glastron forum just did his and posted pictures, He fixed the holes but did not have to glass in any new wood. Had to shift the gas tank as I recall.

Captain no fun
09-16-2005, 11:26 AM
I pulled mine out retrieving my Hondo off of the bottom of the river one night. Fixed the glass, bought a new eye with backing bolts, drilled the hull, crawled my old ass up in the bow, after the bulkhead came out, roughed up the area with a small angle grinder and a 2" 40 grit pad, cut a 12" X 12" X 1" thick aluminum plate, bent it in my press to match the curve in the bow, glued that S.O.B. in place with a tube of 3M 5200, bolted it tight, double nutted the inside with lock tie 272, and it hasn't moved since. Keep it tight, cuz once it gets loose, it'll waller out the holes, and you;ll be back in there. Not fun, but I can pull my boat after a swamp, or sinking, and feel confident.
Run it like you stole it! :cool:

DeputyDawg
09-16-2005, 11:43 AM
I have owned a couple of boats that didn't even have any wood glassed in for backing material but instead just put the bow eye through the fiberglass and put a small strap on the back if it before putting the nuts on. I think they all should be built much stronger in that area especially in our low profile boats that have a lot better chance of needing to be hooked onto in a hurry after they have been swamped or God forbid have to be pulled up off the bottom. The problem is that I like some of you out there am now older and fatter and I can't always get my big ass up under there far enough on a low profile boat. I guess I need to find a skinny neighborhood kid who wants to learn how to lay some fiberglass mat for a couple of bucks huh?

n8dawg
09-16-2005, 05:24 PM
I'm going to fix my bow eye now!!!!!!! It's a little lose but after reading this thread my ass is up in there tonight.