PDA

View Full Version : THE CLUB,, MOTOR FALLING// STORY

Brendella
04-24-2003, 11:19 PM
MY BUDDYS ELIMINATOR CRUSADER OIL READINGS WOULD GO TO 0 PSI. SO i TOLD HIM i WOULD HELP CHANGE IT FOR HIM. TALK TO A OBNOXIOS FOR SOME TIPS AND MAYBE A LITTLE HELP.MY BUDDY DECIDED THAT WE SHOULD PULL THE ENGINE AND SEE WHAT IS GOING ON FIRST BEFORE TAKING IT ANYWHERE. FIRST OFF HE HAS A FACTORY PAN. TOLD HIM THAT HAD TO GO. i HOOK UP ON A USED PAN FROM SSMIKE,(THANKS)BOUGHT A NEW PUMP JUST TO BE PREPARED. ONCE WE HAD THE MOTOR LIFTED STILL IN THE BOAT SINCE A HOIST WON'T LIFT IT HIGH ENOUGH TO CLEAR THE STERN, WE WORK ON IT LAYING IN THE BOAT. HIS BOAT HAS THE THREE POINT MOUNT SET UP SO I SET A COUPLE OF CLUBS ( ONES FOR THE STEARING WHEEL.)ALONG THE MOUNT AND THE FLOOR TO HOLD THE MOTOR WHILE WE ADJUST THE CHAIN TO PULL THE MOTOR UP. MY BUDDY IS LIFTING THE MOTOR AND BOOM THE CHAIN SNAPS. FROM ABOAUT A 2" DROP THE MOTOR LANDS ON THE CLUBS. SCARED ME AND HIM SHITLESS. LUCKY WE WERE NOT UNDER IT. I FIX THE CHAINS AND ADDED A SECOND CHAIN FOR LUCK. LOOKED AT THE CLUBS AND NOT EVEN A SCRATCH. FOUND OUT HIS SCREEN ASSENBLY BROKE OFF THE PICK-UP AND MOST LIKELY THAT IS THE PROBLEM. PUT NEW PUMP AND PAN AND GETTING READY TO TEST TO SEE IF IT IS REMEDIED.
I WILL POST SOME PICTS ASAP
BRENDELLA idea
[ April 25, 2003, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Brendella ]

cyclone
04-25-2003, 07:45 AM
damn! so you're saying the clubs held the motor up or did it fall? be careful man. that would suck to get hurt over something like hoisting a motor. safety first bro!

Brendella
04-25-2003, 03:17 PM
THATS WHY WE PUT THE CLUB AND WE WERE PLAYING IT SAFE.
THE CLUBS CAUGHT THAT MOTOR FROM AROUND A 2" FALL RIGHT ON THE MOUNTS AND DIDN'T EVEN LEAVE A SCRATCH ON THE CLUB . THOSE THINGS ARE TOUGH FOR BREAKING FALLS THAT IS.

HammerDown
04-25-2003, 06:04 PM
What the hecks a Club?
Never mind...re-read the post.
[ April 25, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

FlatRat
04-25-2003, 07:11 PM
Well were I live,it's 2"x4"x3'piece of wood.But hey, I just a hillbilly.

77charger
04-26-2003, 08:28 PM
FlatRat:
Well were I live,it's 2"x4"x3'piece of wood.But hey, I just a hillbilly. damn i thought it was an oak tree and a cum along out there. :D :D

Brendella
04-27-2003, 06:02 AM
don't have much oak trees in moreno valley and have used a cable comalong in a garage beam.I guess it just goes to being creative and testing limits
[ April 27, 2003, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Brendella ]

Craig
04-27-2003, 02:14 PM
Well as for motor falling stories; a bunch of us took a welding class at the local college. Stick welding and some gas. As the semester was winding down, we all had to build some type of project for our final grade. One genius in our group wanted to build an engine hoist. Since that was a bigger project then needed, we conned the teacher into us making it a group thing :) The friend rents a hoist and gets all the measurement. Well, now he goes cheap on us. Goes to the scrap yard and gets a bunch of nasty bs metal. All different kinds. We had some interesting color smoke coming from our welding! Stainless, carbon steel, galvinized, whatever, hey were welders!
Thing didn't look half bad, and we got an "A". Now the test. Leant it to a friend to pull a V-6 from his Buick Regal. He got the damn motor half way out and the whole thing fell apart eek! First the welds that supported the hydraulic jack broke, then it went down hill from there. Luckily, no one got hurt and the damage to the car was minor. Oh well, went out and bought a real engine hoist later. What? Teach never said we couldn't weld all that crap together!!!!
Craig