PDA

View Full Version : tunnel ram fuel injection

progplb
09-14-2005, 11:37 AM
I am looking at changing from a intake carb setup to a Enderle fuel injection hat sitting on a Edelbrock tunnel ram. Do any of you have any experience with this setup.
I am currently running a 468 bbc 500hp. And in the hopefully not far future a GM performance 502.

DUECE'SDAD
09-14-2005, 03:10 PM
you forgot to tell them that its a jet boat ! ! ! ! It doesnt matter how much cubes or what you bolt on top ! ! ! ! J/k A hat with a tunnel ram c'mon geta a fricken blower jet boy

progplb
09-14-2005, 04:13 PM
you forgot to tell them that its a jet boat ! ! ! ! It doesnt matter how much cubes or what you bolt on top ! ! ! ! J/k A hat with a tunnel ram c'mon geta a fricken blower jet boy
Keep it up and you'll have matching hands..
You should have been to the red neck nationals this weekend it was a blast.
Jets seemed to hold their own all weekend some of the rototillers loaded up on the trailer pretty fast.

blown428fe
09-14-2005, 06:34 PM
I am looking at changing from a intake carb setup to a Enderle fuel injection hat sitting on a Edelbrock tunnel ram. Do any of you have any experience with this setup.
I am currently running a 468 bbc 500hp. And in the hopefully not far future a GM performance 502.
Dont have any exrerience with that set up, but alot of local truck and tractor pullers are running that setup using alchol here in CT.

sdba069
09-14-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm running several blown injected and naturally aspirated injected boats and drag cars. Most of my injected(no blower) motors are running tunnel ram/ Enderle deals. I have a few running single and dual Ron's Flying Toilet injectors. The car that we won the IHRA Dvision IV Top Sportsman championship with last year is running my 632 Pontiac with a dart tunnel ram and Enderle injectors. What would you like to know?

blowngas
09-14-2005, 08:06 PM
am looking at changing from a intake carb setup to a Enderle fuel injection hat sitting on a Edelbrock tunnel ram. Do any of you have any experience with this setup.
I've got a setup like that running on a 11sec jet boat----real easy to convert---u will have to buy the top for the manifold that takes the hat, purchase a hat, either a bird or a bug, nozzel holders, injector nozzels, fab up lines or use hose to the nozzels, alky barrel valve, idle check valve, main bypass holder and a pump that will put out 5to6 gpm's, either cam or belt driven----you can find good deals on used pieces from various places----to have a good system from the start is to get a pump that has been flowed and get with enderle or someone who deals their parts, and have them size the nozzels and pills based on that pump---it's a little pricy on the initial investment, but once you get over that, you will never run carbs again----but you have to remember, alcohol is corrosive, and you will have to clean and drain all tanks, lines, pump, b/v ect. every time you are through running it----I have a separate electric fuel pump and small lawnmower gas tank that is plumbed to 4 separate nozzels that will run the motor----the motor is run on a mixture of gasoline and marvel oil after all alky has been drained to help preserve everything till next use

DUECE'SDAD
09-15-2005, 09:44 AM
swwwwwweeeet, you can put your tractor puller/mudd bogger headers back on it since the man says many of those are what run that type of set up. The headers you got like theres should maximize your combination ! ! ! ! ! What are you trying to do anyways, break out of the 40's (mph) and into the 50's Your boat will always be the fastest when its on the trailer behind that crewcab. Anyways, sounds like you have a few men on here that know there stuff so you better get some info and lets get that baby injected. Mybe they can help me this winter if i get to go blown inj. Wanna go to smokin in the cove ? ? ? ? Or not ? ? ? ?

progplb
09-15-2005, 12:57 PM
I was just wanting to try to find out how much trouble this setup was and how much of a performance gain I can anticipate. The 502 performance crate I am looking at is right out of the box. I will change cam and head configuration as time and money permit. I know most of the guys that have injected blowers are pretty maintaince free and it works pretty good.
DD I would still consider going to smokin in the cove if we can come up with the travel funds .

DEL51
09-15-2005, 11:45 PM
You can throw an injection system on the stock HI-PO 502 and maybe gain 70 hp. You have to check out your total goal to make anything effective.What Kind of boat is yours? What is your goal? Sometimes money spent in power would be better off spent in a better boat.I am speaking from first hand knowledge. How is your current setup? Nitrous is an easy thing to install and see results from.

progplb
09-16-2005, 06:38 AM
I have a 17 ft predator . Basically it is a 17 ft tx. The boat has gone fast with the old owers big 502. I am just gradually working my way back up.
There is a picture of the boat here.
http://www.laidbackboaters.com/id55.htm
As far as the fuel injection goes it is something I always wanted to try. I will probably go to a Cheyenne or Lightning tunnel hull as soon as I get to where I am getting all I can take out of this hull. I figure the Predator will be good for 90-95 and then it will be time for something else.
Hey guys I appreciate all of the information. Keep it coming I usually research everything to death before I actually buy something. So if you have any links for research information please send them.

Unchained
09-16-2005, 07:28 AM
Since everyone else came on here and said such nice positive things I have to say negative things. But true things.
Power gain ?.....Unless your mixture was way off before, how could you gain power ? Dumping in MORE fuel is not the answer, The engine wants a 12.5:1 fuel air ratio at WOT and that's the bottom line. And the engine wants a 14.7:1 fuel air ratio at part throttle cruise speed. What provision is there for that?
How will you know what your mixture is once you install it?
Remember with MFI ALL the injectors are flowing ALL the time. There's no injector timing involved.
I know a few people who bought the Enderle setup, put it on, and took it off.
Flattie is one. He told me he was not confident it would start and run reliably at the lake. Detroit Jim is another.
They do look cool though.... :rolleyes: in a nostalgia sort of a way.
Call Good Vibrations motorsports in Ca. Jim Maher sells Enderle's and he is the one who talked me out of it 6 years ago.

DUECE'SDAD
09-16-2005, 07:59 AM
http://www.laidbackboaters.com/a4fbf940.jpg
Go Perry go ! ! ! Man look at that jet boat, i bet its do 43 mph in that pic at, WOT !! !! !! CAn some one please photoshop a mullet onto this guy ! ! !

LewdAct
09-16-2005, 10:25 AM
well i have heard all kinds of horror stories about these predator hulls,, but i have had some really good luck with mine,, although,, the bottom was junk when i got it,, but it was repaired and it runs easily and smoothly around 106 i will be at Smokin In The Cove,, if you make it come by and see me in the pits would love to talk to ya about the boat and some options with you,, good luck .... Ken

progplb
09-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Ken email me at progplb@yahoo.com
I have some questions about sliding the engine up I notice yours is moved up.
I am going to try to make smokin in the cove but it is looking unlikely.

DUECE'SDAD
09-17-2005, 05:37 AM
When you scoot it up, turn it around like this and you will get amazing results . . . . Look you've made ten posts, its about time you start posting on here
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/744boatlove_047.jpg

progplb
09-17-2005, 06:23 AM
DD You have made 275 post and still have not said anything that makes sense. But I guess that just goes with the age. That and busted hands.
What do you have going this weekend? Give me a call. I might drive up.

DUECE'SDAD
09-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Tonitown swap meet near arkansas, gotta make some money, its make or break for the funds to go to smokeinthecove. Oh what youd give to be my age ! ! ! ! Will be junk huntin all weekend, but we need to get together again soon. If not plan on going to chickasha with me in october 15. It may not make since, but im cracking myself up.

Unchained
09-17-2005, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=DUECE'SDAD]When you scoot it up, turn it around like this and you will get amazing results.
That paint job you put on there looks real nice.
Why didn't you show me some of those amazing results when we were down at Table Rock Lake?
We must have covered 60 or 70 miles and I never saw your boat other than anchored out in front of the campground.

sdba069
09-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Since everyone else came on here and said such nice positive things I have to say negative things. But true things.
Power gain ?.....Unless your mixture was way off before, how could you gain power ? Dumping in MORE fuel is not the answer, The engine wants a 12.5:1 fuel air ratio at WOT and that's the bottom line. And the engine wants a 14.7:1 fuel air ratio at part throttle cruise speed. What provision is there for that?
How will you know what your mixture is once you install it?
Remember with MFI ALL the injectors are flowing ALL the time. There's no injector timing involved.
I know a few people who bought the Enderle setup, put it on, and took it off.
Flattie is one. He told me he was not confident it would start and run reliably at the lake. Detroit Jim is another.
They do look cool though.... :rolleyes: in a nostalgia sort of a way.
Call Good Vibrations motorsports in Ca. Jim Maher sells Enderle's and he is the one who talked me out of it 6 years ago.
__________________________________________________ ________________
I'll give you odds that I can make considerable more power with the injection, make it start just fine, and make it so much nore responsive and quicker than the carbs. While the top end probably wouldn't change much, the initial response is measurably better. Not to get ahead of myself, I'm not big on a constant flow injection system on a lake boat that's just run up and down the lake as a cruiser. They are just not efficient for that. If I was going to inject a lake motor, it would be electronic.

Unchained
09-17-2005, 03:34 PM
__________________________________________________ ________________
I'll give you odds that I can make considerable more power with the injection, make it start just fine, and make it so much nore responsive and quicker than the carbs. While the top end probably wouldn't change much, the initial response is measurably better. Not to get ahead of myself, I'm not big on a constant flow injection system on a lake boat that's just run up and down the lake as a cruiser. They are just not efficient for that. If I was going to inject a lake motor, it would be electronic.
I can see where the MFI would supply fuel faster than the carbs when you whack the throttle because it's going in under pressure and that could make it wind up faster. But as you just stated, "the top end probably wouldn't change much" That's what the question was. How much more power will it make.
The way I see it at WOT all the engine knows is fuel / air ratio. It's either right or it's not. Whether it's going in from MFI, carbs, or EFI.
The thread starter was looking for opinions and no matter what someone claims, MFI is way to crude for a lake boat. The fuel metering ability is just not there.
I've seen it many times.

progplb
09-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Injection is nice we all agree. It is just how it is done is the big question. I agree that electronic injection would be the way to go if it is going to be lake boat just to run up an down the lake. I was wanting to try something different and ultimatly go faster. Since posting the original thread I have been reading and also looking at other options in fuel injection "Flying Toilet and Geradot systems" . At this point I think carburation is my most viable solution until I decide what I am going to do with this boat and engine. Although the Flying Toilet has some excellent products that could do what I want. I think with injection I would get the instanious responce I am looking for. The nostaliga/cool factor of the Enderle hat would be great if I could make it work reliably on the lower 500 hp engines that I am currently working with.
Your responce has been great.. Gave me a lot to think about. :idea:

sdba069
09-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Were you talking alky or gas?

progplb
09-18-2005, 09:42 AM
I will probably stay with gas. I don't think the current engine I have would gain anything by running on alcohol.

DUECE'SDAD
09-18-2005, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=DUECE'SDAD]When you scoot it up, turn it around like this and you will get amazing results.
That paint job you put on there looks real nice.
Why didn't you show me some of those amazing results when we were down at Table Rock Lake?
We must have covered 60 or 70 miles and I never saw your boat other than anchored out in front of the campground.
I had heard that you made a few passes while everyone was enjoying there $45 hot dogs, Some one should have gave us a heads up on the trip up river and the rest of the events and we would have been right there for the 60-70 mile trips, We came looking for you guys a few times. I ran all friday evening, and saturday till the h2o pigs busted it up and wasnt ever hooked up to an anchor, b/c i didnt have one ! ! ! ! I did however pull up to the shore each time I got thru giving some one a ride or letting them drive, that might have been what you were seeing.

VDRIVERACING
10-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Injection is nice we all agree. It is just how it is done is the big question. I agree that electronic injection would be the way to go if it is going to be lake boat just to run up an down the lake. I was wanting to try something different and ultimatly go faster. Since posting the original thread I have been reading and also looking at other options in fuel injection "Flying Toilet and Geradot systems" . At this point I think carburation is my most viable solution until I decide what I am going to do with this boat and engine. Although the Flying Toilet has some excellent products that could do what I want. I think with injection I would get the instanious responce I am looking for. The nostaliga/cool factor of the Enderle hat would be great if I could make it work reliably on the lower 500 hp engines that I am currently working with.
Your responce has been great.. Gave me a lot to think about. :idea:
If you decide on mechanical FI, I'd check out Hilborn. Their four hole systems are better suited for driveability/throttle control through a broader range. Enderle is better suited for drag applications because of the more agressive throttle to valve opening ratios.