PDA

View Full Version : Portable Boat Cover

moneypit
09-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Does anyone have a lead on a portable boat cover/canopie? Anyone use one...? I bought the costco brand one and it fell apart after one winter. I would like to get a good one that has full coverage...
I will be putting it in my side yard.
Thanks

sigepmock
09-14-2005, 01:36 PM
I just got one from Overtons.com, 10 x 27 for $260 or something like that, King Canopy, under the "canopies/shelters" section. Hopefully it will last a few years on the side yard. I didn't get it but they also sell a wall kit for it. Good luck.
Chris

Creator
09-14-2005, 01:51 PM
:D If that picture is your boat, I'd be thinking of the best cover I could afford, I don't think your interior would be cheap to replace. I'd be buying a Custom Canvas Cover, talk to Monica, thier in Montclair, Ca :D I never understand why people spend so much on thier boats then trailer them to the river/lake uncovered, I guess ya'll are rich and can afford new interiors every few years, must be nice, or your to cheap to buy a cover ?
Covers will destroy the gel coat. They are like rubbing a fine sandpaper over the gel everytime they move and at 60mph they move around a lot. The interior doesn't get destroyed when the boats in tow, no more than it does sitting in the sun at the river.

moneypit
09-14-2005, 02:14 PM
what Im looking for is a portable carport. Not a boat cover.. Sorry.

Creator
09-14-2005, 02:19 PM
:idea: Creator, the difference between towing uncovered and sitting on the river is all the debris, dirt, roaddust thats kicked up when on the freeway, everlooked at a white interior aftera 4-6 hr tow uncovered ? I guess the gel coat must be done poorly to be that affected from a well made cover sitting on it ?
Hey but to each his own, I prefer to cover with a high quality cover when towing, guess thats why my interior is still white, and damn nice for being 22 yrs old and original !! :D
Ummm.... OK.... I have a white interior and have NEVER had a problem. I also know that no matter how well a gel coat is it's a matter of friction. Yes all covers create friction and will Buff the surface of the gel coat no matter what the quality is. If you have not experienced the buffing affect, good for you, most boats do. Besides I would rather take a rag to my seats and wipe them down than have to do a costly repair on a gel coat. And bty, Lavey Craft and Hallett do a top notch job on the gel.

lucky
09-14-2005, 02:27 PM
what Im looking for is a portable carport. Not a boat cover.. Sorry.
wall mart can order you any size metal carport - the cheapest /best quality :D

Thunderbutt
09-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Covers will destroy the gel coat. They are like rubbing a fine sandpaper over the gel everytime they move and at 60mph they move around a lot. The interior doesn't get destroyed when the boats in tow, no more than it does sitting in the sun at the river.
I've seen two boats burn, one on Rice road, and another on Hwy 10, from cig. butts. NO COVERS. I cover

JB in so cal
09-14-2005, 02:58 PM
I've seen two boats burn, one on Rice road, and another on Hwy 10, from cig. butts. NO COVERS. I cover
My guess would be the drivers of the trucks pulling said boats maaaaaaay just be smokers.

Ziggy
09-14-2005, 03:03 PM
I believe some of those were wheel bearing failures and not Cig butts that caused the fires.....I could be mistaken.

HM
09-14-2005, 03:08 PM
And if you believe that, I got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. :coffeycup

Chico&Zeus
09-14-2005, 03:14 PM
everlooked at a white interior aftera 4-6 hr tow uncovered
Who the hell tows that far??? where the "F" do you live, the desert???? I tow 10 minutes to the waters edge........UNCOVERED!!!

Kim Hanson
09-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Nothing touching the boat will make for no scratch's, other than that cover it up and pay later for the finish, but the inside sure would look nice.............( . )( . )..............I have seen these vacuum bags for boats, but not that size :notam:

Kim Hanson
09-14-2005, 03:49 PM
sport authority stores sells a 10' x 20' canopy called "motoshade" for $170 if that helps, go to thier web site, tons of canopies for sale.
I will look into it, Canada is pretty hot sometimes :D ...........( . )( . )..............

91nordic29
09-14-2005, 04:02 PM
we have used two of these together, makes about 40 foot all together). works well. have them anchored into the concrete.
king canopies (http://www.kingcanopy.com) :cool:

Nubbs
09-14-2005, 09:13 PM
I use the same thing for my boat, except I make it myself. I also have it fully enclosed.