PDA

View Full Version : NEEDED; 26,000 New Homes

burtandnancy
09-14-2005, 05:16 PM
On one of the news casts this PM, one of the talking heads said they will have to demolish and build 26,000 new homes in the flood damaged area's. At $150,000 I think you could build a pretty nice house in that area on existing land (or nearby maybe above sea level), so that would cost (only) 3.9 billion (b as in billion). There is so much money around from the feds, Red Cross, Oprah and others, that would be a piece of cake. Once they dry out the place, clean up, they could have it done quickly. Until of course you get any kind of government involved, then the whole project would come to a screaching stop. I'd guess it would never even get past the first permit...

Hermosa
09-14-2005, 05:22 PM
SHEA homes has taking donations from employees and matching them ,then they are heading there to build homes for the people who lost theirs,free of charge,,kinda nice i thought
Nothing is free, especially when Shea is involved. They are making coin somehow, trust me.

riverroyal
09-14-2005, 05:28 PM
all home builder make money,i can say they have been great to work for,,,,your opinion may vary :D

Blown Spectra
09-14-2005, 05:31 PM
i'll invest...to help!!!

blackcloud75
09-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Imagine what construction cost are going to be!!!!
You think materials are expensive now!!!!!
Do you think displaced Gulf Coasters will gain employment, majority weren't employed(by choice) before Katrina.

riverroyal
09-14-2005, 05:48 PM
lumber will go though the roof

HocusPocus
09-14-2005, 05:54 PM
lumber is already thru the roof.. and its just gonna get worse.

Moneypitt
09-14-2005, 06:17 PM
I heard that the Gov't is suppying trailers for temporary housing. Why not use the deserted Army bases in the south!!! They are at 10% capacity, and are totally set up with everything needed to sustain life, ALREADY THERE!!!!....MP

Man-de-lone
09-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Homes on Realtor.com has the area starting at $25,000 for a 4 br 2 ba 1200 house. Many could have been had fairly cheaply before the flood.
I wonder if there's folks down there snapping em up.
$150K down there ought to get you a frikkin palace. :skull:

coolchange
09-14-2005, 06:28 PM
bitchen, like 38 bucks aint enough for a piece of chinese plywood already.

unleashed
09-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Im wondering where does all this money go. I mean there are so many organizations, fema, govt, state, redcross, oprah, neighborhood donations, blood drives, car washes, lemenade sales etc. etc.??? What happens to all the extra money. Recently I saw an article on donations for 911 and how they ended up in corporations hands that used them for things other than victims??? If you've ever seen the bad areas of New Orleans you know its gotta be pretty cheap to build alot of those dwellings.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

mmered8299
09-14-2005, 07:35 PM
I wonder if there will be an influx of the Jose population in them there parts.

Sportin' Wood
09-15-2005, 06:13 AM
I'd guess it would never even get past the first permit...
I don't think they even have a building code down there?

ROZ
09-15-2005, 07:06 AM
I don't think they even have a building code down there?
Yea.. Code would have prevented anyone building below sealevel near a river..
On a serios note... I think you're right..

pjones
09-15-2005, 07:11 AM
thats to easy
Too easy and it makes sense.... Fed Gov will never go for it.....

dirty old man
09-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Your way to generous. $150,000 for a house down there would buy something non of us here could afford. I like the idea of using some of the closed military bases on a temp basis - heating/cooling, kitchens, showers, etc. It was good enough for a lot of us in years gone by

Sherpa
09-15-2005, 08:12 AM
I think they should level all those houses, and build up the entire city to
about 20 feet HIGHER than sea level..... use the funds that would have been
diverted to building better levees, for that....... then rebuild the houses.....
--problems solved.......... except for the $$ part of it.
--Sherpa

Keithb87
09-15-2005, 08:21 AM
I think they should level all those houses, and build up the entire city to
about 20 feet HIGHER than sea level..... use the funds that would have been
diverted to building better levees, for that....... then rebuild the houses.....
--problems solved.......... except for the $$ part of it.
--Sherpa
I said that a week ago here at work.. Why re-build with the same potential for another disaster? Level and fill to (+) sea level ad then build to suite.

Red Eye
09-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Im wondering where does all this money go. I mean there are so many organizations, fema, govt, state, redcross, oprah, neighborhood donations, blood drives, car washes, lemenade sales etc. etc.??? What happens to all the extra money. Recently I saw an article on donations for 911 and how they ended up in corporations hands that used them for things other than victims??? If you've ever seen the bad areas of New Orleans you know its gotta be pretty cheap to build alot of those dwellings.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)
I saw an article on Yahoo saying to watch out for some of these fraud organazations taking the money for Katrina and keeping it. So that answers part of your question.

superdave013
09-15-2005, 08:41 AM
Burt, Now we just have to figure out how to sell them some hose and fittings. lol Maybe they could hook up the sinks and shitters with a nice teflon lined -6 with polished s.s. ends and use the same set up but in -10 for the water heaters!!