PDA

View Full Version : gasket problem maybe

novaz
09-15-2005, 03:42 AM
Can anyone tell me how to cure the consitent leak i am getting around the distributor mount 350SBC 6-71 i am using felpro gaskets and silicone around the intake but get a small leak once i am off idle .
Thanks

GofastRacer
09-16-2005, 05:45 PM
I take it you're talking about the distributor to manifold right?, if so the manifold is not machined right, take the gasket out and put the distributor in and you will probably see a gap on one side!.. If this is the problem machine the pad square and shim accordingly to properly index the cam gear!..

xs ultra
09-17-2005, 06:40 PM
I got the same problem. Any other way to fix this. may be two gaskets?
or will this be bad for the cam gear.

novaz
09-18-2005, 08:10 AM
No my leak is at the very rear of the intake and block joint
SO far I have gathered that an evac system and a heavy duty gasket with plenty silicone should do the job.
I will post the results
Thanks
Royz

BrendellaJet
09-19-2005, 06:51 PM
how big is the gap? I think these days people toss the gasket and use a big enough beed of silicone to seal it up.

Badburn
09-19-2005, 07:21 PM
I agree, toss the gasket and use a thick bead of silicone. Make sure both surfaces are clean, carb cleaner works well and a wire wheel in a cordless drill. Also, set the distributor in with no gasket first and make sure it rests on the intake, and is not bottomed out on the oil pump drive rod. My blower motor currently has 2 gaskets and a 1/16 shim to make it fit right. Also, I have seen more than one blower intake machined crooked around the distributor hole. Isn't this aftermarket stuff great? :hammerhea