PDA

View Full Version : Havasu election recall!! All voted out.

BoatPI
09-15-2005, 06:07 AM
All of the four incumbents facing recall in a mail in ballot measure were recalled. This includes Mayor Bob Whealan. Interesting stuff.

OGShocker
09-15-2005, 06:08 AM
Whooo Hoooo!!!!

Havasu Hangin'
09-15-2005, 06:10 AM
It's probably because he didn't answer my letters on the Marina...

franky
09-15-2005, 06:18 AM
All of the four incumbents facing recall in a mail in ballot measure were recalled. This includes Mayor Bob Whealan. Interesting stuff.
It amazes me how stupid people can be. Seems that mostly the missarable, cratchity, got nothing better to do than complain voted. We now have an idiot for Mayor.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-15-2005, 07:09 AM
So, is this a good thing or a bad thing? I'm curious to see what will happen with the sewer expansion project now.

Big Warlock
09-15-2005, 07:22 AM
Is there an article from the local paper?

Havasu_Dreamin
09-15-2005, 07:27 AM
TOTAL RECALL: Recall slate ousts City Council, mayor
By Brian DiTullio
Tuesday, September 13, 2005 11:07 PM MDT
It was a clean sweep for the challengers in Lake Havasu City's recall election.
Challengers Harvey Jackson, Bruce Hinman, Allan Sturtevant and Margaret Nyberg won the election against the incumbents Mayor Bob Whelan and City Council members Carolyn Bruce, Kristen Lietz-Aldridge and Don Clark, according to the unofficial results from the Mohave County Elections Department.
The challengers won by a decisive margin, with Jackson being the only candidate to receive less than 60 percent of the vote at 59.16 percent, according to the unofficial results.
All four candidates were part of a recall committee formed last December.
Mayoral challenger Chris Gravelle, who was not part of the recall committee, only garnered 9 percent of the vote, according to the unofficial results.
Mayor Bob Whelan said he was shocked by the results.
"Clearly the voters have spoken," he said. "I'm really disappointed after thousands of hours of hard work that things ended this way."
Whelan said he was most disappointed that he won't be able to finish his work on the Colorado River Regional Sewer Coalition, and that he is fearful the new City Council will try to halt the sewer expansion project, potentially causing more financial problems for the city.
Jackson refused numerous times to speak with this reporter about the election or his plans once he is sworn in. No reason was given for this decision.
Hinman conveyed Jackson's unwillingness to speak during a telephone conversation at a post-election party.
Hinman was excited about the results.
"I'm feeling pretty good," said Hinman. "Talk about the power of the people. Now we really have to go to work and do what the people have asked."
Sturtevant concurred, saying there was a lot of work to do and that they would have to prioritize what the city's needs are.
Bruce said the election wasn't the end of the world for her.
"Life goes on," she said.
Lietz-Aldridge said she was honored to have served the city for the last five years, wished the incoming council members luck. She also said she was looking forward to spending more time with her family.
Clark also expressed surprise at the results and wished the incoming council members luck on their future endeavors.
The results becomes official once the election returns are canvassed at the next City Council meeting scheduled for Sept. 27, according to City Clerk Carla Simendich.
City spokesman Charlie Cassens indicated the seated council would finalize the election results and then the new members would be sworn in and take their seats.
You may contact the reporter at ditullio@havasunews.com.

Big Warlock
09-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Were there any particular issues that stuck with the voters? Was it about the boating issues discussed here?

SummitKarl
09-15-2005, 09:14 AM
oh I am so happy..........about time, Bob was cutting land deals for him and his buddies that should have never been done, or at least no one else could have gotten done :2purples: :hammerhea
Bob may be a cool guy that bought a cool boat MFG.. "Campbell", but he just is not cut out to run LHC (not his skill set)
It never ceases to amaze me how politics currupts so many, when is enough enough, do you really need enough money to live your life 30 times over at the expense of the tax payers Bob?, or should your morals guide you?, you should have just done your job DAMN IT!!!!. it's public sevice you signed up for it!!! so serve the Frickn public!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and don't line your pockets or it will catch up to you. now whats Bob going to do, it's going to tough for him to show is face in this town.
Bob your a dumb shit!!!!!!!!! IMHO

Havasu_Dreamin
09-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Were there any particular issues that stuck with the voters? Was it about the boating issues discussed here?
Uh, it had nothing to do with any boating issues discussed here. One of the main points was the sewer expansion project and it's cost.

That Guy
09-15-2005, 09:19 AM
So, is the Hot Boat community happy about this change or not....I am still confused if this is good or bad.... :idea: :confused: :confused:

Big Warlock
09-15-2005, 09:21 AM
It seems it's a good thing. Anyone know anything about the new members coming in?

Havasu_Dreamin
09-15-2005, 09:22 AM
So, is the Hot Boat community happy about this change or not....I am still confused if this is good or bad.... :idea: :confused: :confused:
I don't know if it is good or bad either. :confused:

Sleek-Jet
09-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Jackson refused numerous times to speak with this reporter about the election or his plans once he is sworn in. No reason was given for this decision.
Hinman conveyed Jackson's unwillingness to speak during a telephone conversation at a post-election party.
So the people elected someone to office that wouldn't say what he would do once he got there.... that's a good idea.... :rolleyes:

Huckleberry
09-15-2005, 09:29 AM
This might be a good time to re-address the noise issues and the LHM issues. It always amazes me the "locals", ususally the snowbirds, bitch about the loud boats driving across the lake five miles from their homes. (Oh yeah Myrtle and Hank can't even hear the Police or Firemen rolling Code 3 fifty feet behind their Oldsmobile, but they can hear a boat motor at five miles!?!??? Yeah right!)
Then when the Harley runs are in town you never hear shit from them! Most Halreys these days are as loud or louder than most boats, and they driving right next to them in town and their neighborhoods.

LakeRacer
09-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Harvey Jackson is one of the Marina's legal counsels so I wouldn't expect any heat coming from the city regarding their launching policies.

SummitKarl
09-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Out with the old idiots, in with the new. That should be the mantra of local politics.
I can't belive I am going to agree with SWB :D J/K
but that truely is the history of LHC politcs, I guess "embezzler Bob" was a step up from our previous "drunkin flusy" :sqeyes: at least Bob made some money for himself :notam: :hammerhea :hammerhea
lets just hope the new idiots due a bit better job.
as for the sewer expansion thing, yes that was the big issue, it never really needed to be done.......all ADEQ wanted was less septic tanks per acre, we currently are at 3 per acre and ADEQ wanted 2 per acre. there were far better and easier solutions to this problem....especially now that septic system design is part of my daily life.......

Lightning
09-15-2005, 09:48 AM

MagicMtnDan
09-15-2005, 09:53 AM
The problem with local and state politicians is that they're (hard to believe) more incompetent than the federal politicians and they get even less done. :sqeyes:

BoatPI
09-15-2005, 10:48 AM
I think treating boaters fairly was/is a tug of war between the supporters of senior citizen council leaners and progressive thinkers. As an example they will be replacing a ladder in the aquatic center for about $125K, and how many decades did it take to get a decent park and a few restrooms on the channel. And we still must walk in BS dirt rather than the decent sand the city removed from the banks of the channel. Not to mention removing the weeds from the channel, etc. Just common sense stuff to me, a property owner and boater.
As far as the sewer issue, I think Summit Karl has it correct. And I am one of the property owners that got stuck with a grinder pump. I fought it for 6 months, even pointing out how they could run a line along a property line on into Jamacia for a natural flow. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no, shi$ in LHC must flow up hill 50' and in a 180' long line via the grinder pump. Now they will be replacing my pump with a sepetic tank. I figure us taxpayers will loose about $20,000 in my property alone. And the city was aware of it, to the top of government. I called and wrote letters. The message was clear, march ahead Patton. Now we are stuck with a huge bill. Such a waste.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-15-2005, 11:01 AM
As far as the sewer issue, I think Summit Karl has it correct. And I am one of the property owners that got stuck with a grinder pump. I fought it for 6 months, even pointing out how they could run a line along a property line on into Jamacia for a natural flow. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no, shi$ in LHC must flow up hill 50' and in a 180' long line via the grinder pump. Now they will be replacing my pump with a sepetic tank. I figure us taxpayers will loose about $20,000 in my property alone. And the city was aware of it, to the top of government. I called and wrote letters. The message was clear, march ahead Patton. Now we are stuck with a huge bill. Such a waste.
I think the sewer is a good idea, in the long run. Just don't necessarily think it was thought out that well, your case is a glaring example.

Ziggy
09-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Out with the old idiots, in with the new. That should be the mantra of local politics.
Thats true it seems in any city...... :burningm:

XTRM22
09-15-2005, 01:47 PM
This might be a good time to re-address the noise issues and the LHM issues. It always amazes me the "locals", ususally the snowbirds, bitch about the loud boats driving across the lake five miles from their homes. (Oh yeah Myrtle and Hank can't even hear the Police or Firemen rolling Code 3 fifty feet behind their Oldsmobile, but they can hear a boat motor at five miles!?!??? Yeah right!)
Then when the Harley runs are in town you never hear shit from them! Most Halreys these days are as loud or louder than most boats, and they driving right next to them in town and their neighborhoods.
Hey Sarge, speaking as a resident and Harley owner, with a legally quiet boat.......... bite me! :rollside: :cool:
Chuck

WaterBox
09-15-2005, 06:53 PM
!Then when the Harley runs are in town you never hear shit from them Most Halreys these days are as loud or louder than most boats, and they driving right next to them in town and their neighborhoods.
DON'T LOOK at them Martha! Just DON'T LOOK at them, Maybe they won't see us and the'll go away! :skull: :cry: :skull: