PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

DJ Sound Technique
09-15-2005, 07:32 AM
What better to do then surf the Hot Boat Forum in the Jury waiting room of the Menifee Justice center on their wireless internet!!!
;)

DJ Sound Technique
09-15-2005, 07:35 AM
It's gona be a long day....... :cool:

Huckleberry
09-15-2005, 07:38 AM
If you ever get arrested for something, don't ever request a jury trial. Remember...Jury duty is for those people who are not smart enough to know how to get out of it!!! j/k :)

HocusPocus
09-15-2005, 08:03 AM
No offense, but only suckers and chumps serve on jury duty. ;)
not true anymore.. getting out of jury duty isn't as easy as it once was and the courts are going to make it tougher.

Sleek-Jet
09-15-2005, 08:06 AM
I get to go tomorrow.... :hammer2:

bunny 166
09-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Hey good idea....I got called for October, so maybe I'll do the same....have a good day... :p

LHC30Victory
09-15-2005, 08:10 AM
No offense, but only suckers and chumps serve on jury duty. ;)
SWB - you usually post rather thoughtful statements so I must believe that this is satire.
Avoiding jury duty is one problem we have with the decisions coming out of our courts lately. It is because those that have nothing better to do go and decide cases rather than the more thoughtful and mainstreamed idea holding people.
Cudos to all who show up and vote their conscience even though it may be a burden financially and to their family.

HocusPocus
09-15-2005, 08:14 AM
This is for San Bernardino County.. but many are already doing this and more including arrest warrents for those who ignore the summons.
Court crackdown
Jury duty a primary civic duty
San Bernardino courts no longer letting juror no-shows off the hook. Scofflaws who ignore their jury summons may have to show up in court anyway and tell it to the judge, or else face fines of up to $1,500. It's kind of ironic, but those who don't or won't show up for jury duty in San Bernardino County Superior Court are being warned they'll have to haul themselves in anyway for a hearing their own where they can explain their incivility to a judge.
The San Bernardino County courts are cracking down, under legislation approved last year that gives courts the authority to fine noncompliant jurors.
It's accountability that's long overdue.
Under the new strategy, people are given two chances to respond to a summons. Or else.
And it's working. In the first six months, the number of people who shun their jury notice has been cut in half.
Last year, 22 percent of prospective jurors failed to show up. Those 200,000 lawbreakers were enough to whip court officials into action, demanding to know why. Since January, the number of people who shrug their shoulders at jury duty has dropped to 10 percent.
Judge Brian McCarville, who handles noncompliant jurors in San Bernardino, says most are apologetic, and some even have good excuses, such as moving away.
But there are still far too many who fail to grasp the importance of serving on a jury.
Defendants and civil litigants deserve to have a trial by a jury of their peers. State law requires, with few exceptions, that any U.S. citizen, at least 18, living in California report for jury duty when summoned.
And with San Bernardino County's court docket one of the busiest in the state, the high rate of juror no-shows can delay a trial unnecessarily.
Court administrators say that once people are ordered to appear, most make haste to call in and schedule their jury service. Yet the court's fines, which thus far have averaged $30 to cover the cost of the summons, really aren't enough to reflect flagrant disobedience to civic duty.
For all of those who do drop everything to show up when the court calls, who put up with the inconvenience and the paltry $15 a day to respectfully comply with their democratic duty and serve on a jury, it is a slap in the face when those who do not abide by the rules are fined a mere $30.
Especially when it costs far more than that to keep each courtroom up and running.
Along with enforcing jury duty, the courts might fare better in encouraging people to obey their jury summons in the first place by showing a little more consideration for jurors' time and sacrifice.
A little streamlining is in order to make the courts function as efficiently as possible, leading to a full contingent of willing jurors.

Reaper1
09-15-2005, 08:20 AM
So, how do you get out of it now? I don't think telling them that my truck won't fit in their parking structure is a good exuse. :idea:

Captain Dan
09-15-2005, 08:23 AM
If you ever get arrested for something, don't ever request a jury trial. Remember...Jury duty is for those people who are not smart enough to know how to get out of it!!! j/k :)
Yeah, it's pretty bad when a jury of your "peers" is made up of government workers with nothing better to do and people not smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Sleek-Jet
So, how do you get out of it now? I don't think telling them that my truck won't fit in their parking structure is a good exuse. :idea:
I'm going to say that if I can't post on Hot Boat all day that I'll go into shock.... :D

slink
SWB - you usually post rather thoughtful statements so I must believe that this is satire.
Avoiding jury duty is one problem we have with the decisions coming out of our courts lately. It is because those that have nothing better to do go and decide cases rather than the more thoughtful and mainstreamed idea holding people.
Cudos to all who show up and vote their conscience even though it may be a burden financially and to their family.
DILLIGAF................................Hello :rolleyes:

Mohave Vice
09-15-2005, 08:35 AM
What better to do then surf the Hot Boat Forum in the Jury waiting room of the Menifee Justice center on their wireless internet!!!
;)
Thanks for your service. We need good peeps like yourself.

Devilman
09-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Been there & done it. How do they notify you when your supposed to go? Here, the best way to get out of it is just not go. They mail you the notice, but they can't prove you received it.... How hard is that? :confused:

6 Dollar Boat
09-15-2005, 08:47 AM
I had jury duty last week. Unfortunately I wasn't required to show up at the courthouse, I just had to call each day.
My job pays up to 2 weeks pay for jury duty, and I was looking forward to reading some good books... :frown:

HocusPocus
09-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Been there & done it. How do they notify you when your supposed to go? Here, the best way to get out of it is just not go. They mail you the notice, but they can't prove you received it.... How hard is that? :confused:
they are starting to issue arrest warrents for that.. they do not need to prove you recieved it.. just that you didn't show.

LHC30Victory
09-15-2005, 11:15 AM
I guess jokes on HB are only funny if they contain the word beaner. ;)
That's not true...good jokes can contain the words Spic, wetback, greaser, cholo too :hammerhea

HocusPocus
09-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Good luck getting that to stick. Show me some case law where somebody went to trial and they lost.
the process is just getting started.. if your pulled over for anything and it comes up you were a no show for jury duty, you can be arrested on the spot, which means your vehicle can be impounded as well. if your willing to take the chance and play bigshot.. go right ahead. as for me i will do my civic duty and i wont need to worry about it.
:D

fourspeednup
09-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Yup, last time I went spent the whole day dickin around on HB, and RRL...damn gov computers wouldn't let me into Havasudoug or barney's site maybe I'll write my congressman. :D

Mrs. casean
09-15-2005, 01:01 PM
That's what I did at the Southwest Justice Department 4 months back! Why not kill some time :D

DJ Sound Technique
09-15-2005, 06:34 PM
After postponing until I couldn't any more, telling them that I run a two man department with no backups:
I was stuck there all day today and have to now go back tomorrow! The judge was not letting anyone off for ANY excuse. If you had travel or have vacation planned with tickets already purchased, he said fine, be back here on nov 1. So if you were BSin to try and get off, you just wasted a minimum of 2 days now!
I agree with the earlier post, they seem to be much stricter, the judge was telling moms that had no way to pick up there kids from school to make other arrangements!

Sleek-Jet
09-15-2005, 06:37 PM
I just called and got waved off this time... :D
Now I have to go to work tomorrow... :devil:

ahhell
09-15-2005, 06:42 PM
knowing the deputy D.A. in your area sometimes helps, esp. if he trying the case :hammerhea

DJ Sound Technique
09-15-2005, 06:43 PM
I know the Deputy DA in San Bernardino quite well, didn't do me any good in Riverside County and that was actually one of the questions they asked me today!!!

ahhell
09-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Damn counties are too close...we only get 1 day, just long enuf to tell the judge we only get one day, and he replies, you work at that hospital, dont you ;)

plaster dave
09-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Just go in with a big white hood and act like Dave Chapelle from his first show and you will be on your way home before you know it. :coffeycup :coffeycup :coffeycup :D :D

Mike Oxbig
09-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Good luck getting that to stick. Show me some case law where somebody went to trial and they lost.
Duuudes, check it out:
Cal Code Civ Proc § 209 (2005)
§ 209. (Third of three; Operative January 1, 2007)Enforcement of summons; Punishment
Any prospective trial juror who has been summoned for service, and who fails to attend the court as directed or to respond to the court or jury commissioner and to be excused from attendance, may be attached and compelled to attend. Following an order to show cause hearing, the court may find the prospective juror in contempt of court, punishable by fine, incarceration, or both, as otherwise provided by law.