PDA

View Full Version : Ram Air Effect

waterbum
01-15-2002, 08:56 AM
I have a forward facing scoop on my engine lid and was thinking about sealing it to my carb to get a ram-air effect.Question is has anyone else tried this and what were the results.What will the horsepower increase be at say 85m.p.h.? I smell slop boiling,I'm thinking again!! The Bum http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

Snowboat
01-16-2002, 10:06 AM
I believe that a forward facing scoop provides less than a 1% hp increase until you are way over 100mph. Couldn't find it in my books, maybe memory serves.

Flat Screwd
01-16-2002, 07:26 PM
Depending on the location you might be able to pack some air. Some of the scoops that I build will grab too much air, hence a reversion affect. Gas will be carried out the front by the air trying to escape. The way to solve this is too drill holes in the bottom untill the problem stops. It would be interesting to put a gage on the scoop to see if there is any boost.

waterbum
01-17-2002, 04:56 AM
I like the pressure guage idea.I know if your setting in the back seat at speed your getting one hell of a blast of air.Long hair of female passengers also tends to get gobbled up by the scoop.Can't wait to try this,just gotta wait for lake to thaw.Will also take some plug readings just to be on the safe side since I don't know if this will upset current calibration. The Bum