PDA

View Full Version : Drive lube tech question

Wonderboy
09-15-2005, 09:23 AM
I have a 496HO and a Bravo1 X. When I had the boat serviced 10 HRs ago, they filled the gear lube reservoir all the way up. Now it's already at the add line. Is this normal?

rivercrazy
09-15-2005, 09:32 AM
That is not normal. Either you have a leak somewhere (check the connection at the resevour, propshaft seal, etc) -or- when the gear case was refilled, they induced a sizable airpocket in the drive and the oil is now setting and filled that pocket. But when the refill is done correctly, this shouldn't occur.

Chubby4Life
09-15-2005, 09:34 AM
I think it's normal, I just had the same question last weekend. We had our upper gears replaced and about 1 hour after break-in the fluid alarm went off. No problem, topped it off and kept going.

Chubby4Life
09-15-2005, 09:38 AM
That is not normal. Either you have a leak somewhere (check the connection at the resevour, propshaft seal, etc) -or- when the gear case was refilled, they induced a sizable airpocket in the drive and the oil is now setting and filled that pocket. But when the refill is done correctly, this shouldn't occur.
I hope there isn't a problem. I figured it had to use some lube as the gears started to mesh and everything "fell into place". Should I be concerned?

Wonderboy
09-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Huh. Interesting. I noticed before I had the service done it was a little low. But after the service it seems to be eating the lube like candy. I did have to take it back twice. After they did the service I noticed gear lube leaking out of the prop and it wouldn't turn. Turned out that they guy had two o-rings on the drain plug so it didn't seal and it was sticking out hitting the prop. Good thing I didn't take it out before I noticed that stuff.

rivercrazy
09-15-2005, 09:43 AM
Probably not. Especially if the fluid levels stabilize in the drive resevour and you don't need to continually add more. Just keep an eye on the levels. Could have been an airpocket that worked its way out of the system.
I know when I've changed my drive fluid that I'm very careful to slowly pump fluid into the bottom of the drive making sure the mid level plug is removed. The drive should be trimmed all the way down when refilling as well. This allows most of the air out of the system. Then as fluid starts to run out of the mid level plug, reinstall it and keep filling the drive. I've never had to add additional fluid after regular fluid changes.

Wonderboy
09-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info.

spectras only
09-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Wonderboy, you had an air pocket that slowly filled up. There's a screw in right of the upper gearcase . Unscrew it and have someone refilling your reservoir .See if lube coming out. The bottom screw behind the prop has an "O" ring that sometimes gets trashed and develop a slow leak .Better replace it when servicing the leg.

Wonderboy
09-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Wonderboy, you had an air pocket that slowly filled up. There's a screw in right of the upper gearcase . Unscrew it and have someone refilling your reservoir .See if lube coming out. The bottom screw behind the prop has an "O" ring that sometimes gets trashed and develop a slow leak .Better replace it when servicing the leg.
Ok. The lower drain plug o-ring was changed on the 20 hr service. Would it not be a good idea to just add some to the reservoir and see if it holds?