PDA

View Full Version : Over revved engine

infotraker
09-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Labor Day weekend at the Delta gathering my 468 BBC full roller motor may have over revved when it came out of gear at near full throttle. It happenned really fast and I shut the motor off as fast as I could but it may have revved a little above 7K. I fixed the out of gear problem at the beach and it did run back to the launch later with no apparent problems.
I think I did hear more valve lifter noise, no smoke or other noticeable noise. I'm going to check the valve lash before running again. Any thing else to check ? I'm going to get a rev limiter this winter to plug into the MSD setup.

FlatRat
09-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Labor Day weekend at the Delta gathering my 468 BBC full roller motor may have over revved when it came out of gear at near full throttle. It happenned really fast and I shut the motor off as fast as I could but it may have revved a little above 7K. I fixed the out of gear problem at the beach and it did run back to the launch later with no apparent problems.
I think I did hear more valve lifter noise, no smoke or other noticeable noise. I'm going to check the valve lash before running again. Any thing else to check ? I'm going to get a rev limiter this winter to plug into the MSD setup.
:rolleyes: Valve float?Good springs?Sounds like you're on the right track,check valve lash.Good luck.

09-15-2005, 04:01 PM
A litttle above 7K isn't anything to worry about. Now if it went to 9700 then you might have a problem. If you are concerned about the condition of your engine then check valve lash, springs, rockers and pushrods and then do a leakdown to check for bent valves. Dosn't sound like you hurt anything.

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
09-15-2005, 04:08 PM
A litttle above 7K isn't anything to worry about. Now if it went to 9700 then you might have a problem. If you are concerned about the condition of your engine then check valve lash, springs, rockers and pushrods and then do a leakdown to check for bent valves. Dosn't sound like you hurt anything.
a little over 7 isnt bad...if its a chevy..if its a ford it will be spitting pushrods out of it like a cowboy with skoal at a rodeo.

09-15-2005, 04:22 PM
a little over 7 isnt bad...if its a chevy..if its a ford it will be spitting pushrods out of it like a cowboy with skoal at a rodeo.And how would you know about Fords? You've never ran one, you've never really run a Cheeby for that matter so I suppose you wouldn't know much about those too.... :D

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
09-15-2005, 04:30 PM
And how would you know about Fords? You've never ran one, you've never really run a Cheeby for that matter so I suppose you wouldn't know much about those too.... :D
ya ya ya ya.........i drive a ford worktruck...it runs great... ;)

FILUCKY
09-15-2005, 05:04 PM
If your worried about your engine after hitting 7k for a split second then maybe you should change over to a Ford... :D

GofastRacer
09-15-2005, 06:27 PM
if its a ford it will be spitting pushrods out of it like a cowboy with skoal at a rodeo.
Hmmm it would, that's strange I used to run 7500 in an FE motor with no problems!.. :confused:

09-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Hmmm it would, that's strange I used to run 7500 in an FE motor with no problems!.. :confused:Art....don't tell Richy, he thinks the only engine in the world is a Cheeby and he doesn't know what the sodbusters do with these Fords, 9200 rpm in a 2 bolt block and stock cast crank for 25 seconds a pull time and time again :2purples: ....pushrods? Indeed! :hammerhea

GofastRacer
09-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Art....don't tell Richy, he thinks the only engine in the world is a Cheeby and he doesn't know what the sodbusters do with these Fords, 9200 rpm in a 2 bolt block and stock cast crank for 25 seconds a pull time and time again :2purples: ....pushrods? Indeed! :hammerhea
:D :D :D

infotraker
09-15-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm glad I had manly sever duty stainless steel valves put in along with the stiff roller cam springs during last years rebuild.