PDA

View Full Version : Which Carb?

CV-23
03-07-2001, 09:15 AM
I'm running a stock 350/260 Mercruiser in a '88 Carlson/Glastron 23ft stern drive. The Quadrajet works Ok but I'm looking for better performance (I would like to have a 383/350 someday!). I have a 650 Holley Spreadbore/Doublepumper that I've used on a 455 Olds. Is a Doublepumper good for a sterndrive or should I go with a Vacuum Secondary carb? Also, what Flame Arrestor works best with these carbs? I currently run 49-54mph depending on fuel/passenger load....Mike.

spectras only
04-07-2001, 09:23 PM
CV 23, I would stay with the Holley because of it's simplicity , a vacuum secondary would be fine for getting on plane, however you may benefit from the double pumper at midrange acceleration. I run a 800 double pumper in my 24 Spectra that's quite heavy and it needs the extra squirt the second pump provides. I've seen a few 23 Scimitars at my boating regions and they seem to get on plane with the same setup as yours.The early Glastrons I've seen were ligth and quick to plane.

spectras only
04-07-2001, 09:37 PM
CV-23, I forgot to mention to replace the flame arrestor only ,if it's the old Merc or OMC type,they are a bit restrictive. all the newer types are free flowing and don't require much maintenance. Lot of guy's go for the K@N for looks but they don't flow any better than the Barbron types.You can see through of these arrestors so what can be less restrictive? I tried to run with and without of these arrestors and not a single RPM difference.Just to keep the occasional kamikazee fly out of your carb and being coast guard approved.I have a K@N filtercharger in my Stang GT because I plan to keep the car for long and it's a good filter to keep very fine dust out that we don't have to worry about on the water.

ODDD1
04-12-2001, 05:34 PM
CV... if you are still running stock intake manifold/cam it will be hard to beat the Qjet...they only come up short when you push up the rpm band......