PDA

View Full Version : oil pump prime

Clean 502
09-15-2005, 10:37 PM
hey i got a ford 514 and i just need to know how much resistance should there be when your primeing it with a drill? i am spining it counter clockwise and the preasure goes to 60psi when i barely turn the drill on. it seams to have a pretty good amout of resistance. thanks

DeputyDawg
09-15-2005, 10:52 PM
It really depends on what drill you are using and how tight your clearances are, but you will diffenitely feel resistance when you prime it.

Squirtin Thunder
09-15-2005, 11:55 PM
I have smoked a drill from priming !!!

Wicked Performance Boats
09-16-2005, 03:53 AM
I have smoked a drill from priming !!!
That's why you use an air drill dummy! Budlight :hammerhea

Taylorman
09-16-2005, 07:42 AM
That's why you use an air drill dummy! Budlight :hammerhea
Or use a good cordless drill not a Harbor Freight special.

Moneypitt
09-16-2005, 07:54 AM
I wish I had a reverseable air drill, as stated, running backwards with that resistance could/will smoke an electric drill.................MP

LakesOnly
09-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Yes, electric motors have a lead/lag designed into the armature/windings and so running backwards for an extended period or under lots of load can overheat them.
In regards to the amont of load placed by the oil pressure during priming, yes again, it can load so fast and hard that the drill can spin right out of your hads if you are not holding firmly.
Try to prime until you see oil at the valve train.
LO

FASTRAT
09-17-2005, 08:28 AM
ok...stupid ??...why do u want to prime the motor counter clockwise?...if the eng turns clockwise when running...i would think u would want to prime it that way?...i personally have never primed a mtr...i have just spun it over for about 2 or 3 min until i got good oil pressure & then fired it with n/p...explain why pls
fastrat

LakesOnly
09-17-2005, 12:08 PM
...why do u want to prime the motor counter clockwise?...if the eng turns clockwise when running...i would think u would want to prime it that way?...i personally have never primed a mtr.
fastrat Because the oil pump drive shaft is driven counterclockwise.
As viewed from the front, yes, the crank & cam turn clockwise. The oil pump's drive shaft is driven off the cam's oil pump drive gear. Since the cam shaft is turning clockwise, the oil pump shaft--that is driven off the cam--is turning counterclockwise.
If you still can't visualize it, get two quarters out of your pocket and lay them flat on the table next to each other. Turn one clockwise and you'll get the picture that the other would be driven in counterclockwise rotation.
LO

spectras only
09-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Because the oil pump drive shaft is driven counterclockwise.
If you still can't visualize it, get two quarters out of your pocket and lay them flat on the table next to each other. Turn one clockwise and you'll get the picture that the other would be driven in counterclockwise rotation.
LO LMAO :D

Moneypitt
09-17-2005, 12:53 PM
You must go the direction the dist. normally turns. Chevys turn clockwise, mopars and fords, counterclockwise............MP

SmokinLowriderSS
09-17-2005, 06:05 PM
Ya won't smoke my Craftsman 1/2" drive reversable PLUG-IN drill, clockwise or counter clockwise. :D

AZKC
09-18-2005, 06:06 AM
You must go the direction the dist. normally turns. Chevys turn clockwise, mopars and fords, counterclockwise............MP
Another reason to stay Chevy :D

SmokinLowriderSS
09-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Another reason to stay Chevy :D
Yes, something about going forewards instead of bass-ackwards. :D