PDA

View Full Version : Beachcomber/Marriott

jailbird141
09-16-2005, 05:34 AM
Has anyone got any new information on the Marriott building on the island? What about the owner of the Beachcomber selling the mobile home area? I thought there was supposed to be a meeting sometime after Labor Day. :confused:

Partycattin
09-16-2005, 07:06 AM
There was a meeting on Sept. 7th. My buddy attended and stated that it does not look good for the owners at Beachcomber.

Magic34
09-16-2005, 07:13 AM
From what I understand, Marriott isn't going to do anything. They were just throwing that name around to see what the response would be if a big hotel company came to town with big plans. I think 2 other guys want to do something like it, but not Marriott. This was just my impression after a conversation with a developer looking to build in the area.
I do know this.... Nothing will happen until a second bridge is put up. When that happens, then the big buildings will be a more realistic possibility.

jbtrailerjim
09-16-2005, 07:43 AM
There was a meeting on Sept. 7th. My buddy attended and stated that it does not look good for the owners at Beachcomber.
Wasn't able to attend the meeting. Do you have any details of what happened and what was said at the meeting?

uncle larry
09-16-2005, 11:22 AM
its was a planning and zoning commission meeting - two speakers one wanting to rebuild the english village they want to go to 90 feet instead of the alloted 70 feet. And they asked to have a higher percentage of retail space than what is normally alloted at a hotel. His presentation made sense and hopefully will get the ok to have a new hotel at the English village..
other presentation was a rambling very un professional report that did nothing but stir of those that live at the Beachcomber. (about 70 of them spoke and ranted and raved.
second presentor wanted the ability to petition the planning and zoning commission to get a special execption to maybe go as high as 200 feet or 20 stories. This never was being considered by the planning commission. Yes he is supposivily representing a group that someday might want to build a resort/hotel/timeshare on the island. But it was just a request made to the p & Z committee asking them to think about this in future updates to the code.
Heres what the planning and zoning and city manager said - Beachcomber is zoned "A" for agriculture. So even if the hieght for "H" zoned areas ( now called CR) which is for hotels is changed it would not effect the beachcomber cause they would have to change their zoning to CR from A.
Who can do that? the owrner of the beachcomber could at some point ask for a zoning change at that time their would be public comment (and probably a lynching or two).
So the bottom line at this point is - the committee was approached to change height restrictions for - Resort Related Hotels - which their is only once such parcel in Lake Havasu and that is the English Village.
Beachcomber residents take a deep breath - currently the only person who can mess with you is the man who owns/manages/leases the land.. Don't blame the CITY!
Have a great day - by the way if you ever want the facts about Lake Havasu - ask me I am a local, I cover the news for a magazine and local tv plus i am extremely nosy.
Smile It's ALL GOOD!