PDA

View Full Version : My Hydromotive Showed up today...

Bryan Rose
09-16-2005, 01:58 PM
I have it installed and am looking forward to testing it this weekend. It is the Quad IV X 26 RH, Tom at hydromotive says it is a great prop.....we shall see, I will keep all f you posted on the results from Hole shot to top end .....I hope this helps take care of my prop blow out situation.....and gives me a good cruise to boot. It is replacing a dinged up Bravo I 24 Pitch.
Bryan

TrickMarine.net
09-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Results????

Bryan Rose
09-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Results????
First off, Trick Marine :D
Thanks Fred , I got the throttle trim switch today and the other switch from Livorsi...they look good. If you guys have not had the chance to do biz with them greast guys , prompt shipping and Fred takes the time to talk to you.
Test conditions
1997 Donzi 27 ZX twin step
Merc 500 EFI Blue motor
Bravo I drive
Temp 98 degrees
Humidity 85 %
wind calm
water smooth , no chop at all but not glass
Boat 1/3 tank of 100 gallon load
me 220 lbs
MIxed at this point. I went to my little local lake today and gave it a try. Blistering top end compared to my Bravo I .
Bravo I 24 pitch = 5400 @ 67.1
Hdromotive 26 pitch = 5050 @ 71.2
Cruise was much better
Bravo = 4000 @ 48-50 consistant
Hydro = 4000 @ 58-59 consistant
out of the hole good with the Bravo I
with the Hydro better but not great.
Bravo blow out at will.3-4000
Hydromotive worse with the blow out at the same revs.
The hydomotive seems to be a great prop out of the box....But it needs a longer more subtle diffuser ring to get hooked up better under 4000 revs... a real pain in the ass....Also it tends to porpoise more than the Bravo I , actually a lot worse, in all fairness it seems that my test conditions were not that great, no boats on the water , small local lake 6 miles end to end, and smooth water, not glass but smooth, no chop at all just a slight breeze. I am guessing that with a little chop maybe a foot or so and I will pick up a little on the top end and the porpose will subside, all this acording to Tom from Hydromotive.
Am I happy? maybe , I will have to test it in better conditions over the weekend if I get a chance, just wish it would hook up better between 3-4000 for testing , it makes it kind of a pain because you have to get to the other side of 4-4500 and then come back on the throttle.... but I want to test in chop to verify the porpoise problem gets better.
On a side note the Bravo likes to chine wald at WOT and really sucks... I have been able to setlle bot the chine walk and the porpoise with the K- planes but until I get indicaters for them I don't like to mess with them too much, don't like not knowing where they are.....
I am thinking if I can get it not to porpoise in the chop it may be the prop for me, once the prop is swapped out for one with a longer diffuser ring, then Lab it :idea: pick up another 200 revs puts me at about 74-75 MPH in the chop......Not to bad for a hull that is 28' and weighs over 7000 lbs and is running a single bone stock Merc 500 EFI....
Thanks for your attention.
Bryan

TrickMarine.net
09-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Bryan....that sounds pretty fair to me.
Your test conditions were pretty restrictive. Hot, humid and flat water.
I've been cosidering a pair of P5x for the Formula. Most guys who've tried them on the 38 felt it was the best prop for the application.
Give your's another try. If the prop doesn't perform as you had hoped, give Tom a call for some advice.
Glad our parts reached you quickly. :)

hotlavey
09-18-2005, 10:20 AM
I tried two P5X's on mine(2750 Lavey, Whippled 500EFI)28 P5X was terrible, major torqueing to the left and serious porpoising, 5200 @72mph. 26P5X better, less torqueing, still porpoising, 5400@75mph. Bravo1 28 labbed slight torqueing, moderate porpoising, 5550@80mph(all speeds GPS)Do not like the P5X's at all, going to try a 30 Bravo1 relabbed to a 29 and we'll see what happens.