PDA

View Full Version : KILL'em ALL - Those Damn Sea lions....

carbonmarine
09-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Sailboat No Match for Mischievous Marine Mammals
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (AP) — Jerry Dunlap spent more than a year fixing up his 1910 dream sailboat. But a gaggle of about 15 hefty sea lions (search) managed to sink the 50-foot craft in just one weekend.
Dunlap paid $3,500 to have the boat dragged up from the bottom of Newport Harbor. The radios, radar and electrical system were ruined, and he doesn't know how much it will cost to repair the boat.
"I really don't know what I'm going to do with it," said Dunlap, a contractor. "This is a major setback. I'm 63, I don't know if I feel like working another two years to get a boat to work."
The scuttling of Dunlap's $24,000 boat may be the most striking example of mayhem that sea lions have caused since they started showing up in the harbor in May.
Residents complain that they bark all night long, and the city received a report that a rogue sea lion tipped over a mother and her child in their kayak.
City officials are considering asking the City Council to make it illegal to feed the sea lions.
Some boat owners have also strung barricades made of wire and milk carton around their crafts, while others place upside-down lawn chairs on their swim steps, said Harbor Patrol Lt. Erin Giudice. The Harbor Patrol sprays the sea lions with fire hoses but they reboard the boats within minutes, she said.

Jyruiz
09-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Man, that sucks.

Jordy
09-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Wonder what cooked sea lion tastes like???? :idea: :D

Mrs.Racer277
09-17-2005, 08:52 AM
:frown: :frown: :frown:

riverbound
09-17-2005, 08:55 AM
. The Harbor Patrol sprays the sea lions with fire hoses but they reboard the boats within minutes, she said.
Thats because they need to spray them with bullets :wink:

SummitKarl
09-17-2005, 09:09 AM
got to tell this one, my friend had a 25' owens cabin cruiser in the Sea World Marina in San Diego, one night I decided to go down to the boat, I was in one of the end slips so it was way dark an the end of the dock, without looking I went to step in the boat......ORRRR,ORRRR, Bark, Bark, :supp: YIKES!!! I stepped right on him and did the splits right on him it was like tring to run in OIL, I was slipping and falling all over this sea lion as both of us were scrambling to get out of the boat, can't belive he didn't bite me, it was funny as hell when it got in water, it turned and looked at me with a WTF look on it's face, from then on he slept at the foot of the slip, I called him george and always brought him a treat from the bait shop from then on. being as no one was going to get near the boat unless they had mackrel in their hand :D

Red Eye
09-17-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm wondering how sea lions sunk a sail boat??? Are they smart enough to pull the plugs out? :p

DCBob
09-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Chicken :D

Riverkid
09-17-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm wondering how sea lions sunk a sail boat??? Are they smart enough to pull the plugs out? :p
Dead weight. Get 15 of them in the stern area (they like to hop right up on the swimsteps) and you've got big problems...

OLDRAT
09-17-2005, 09:30 AM
..and just like with manatees, you can mess up a good set of lab finished props :D
Just "food" for thought!
OR

Powerquestboy
09-17-2005, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=Red Eye]I'm wondering how sea lions sunk a sail boat??? Are they smart enough to pull the plugs out? :p[/QUOTE
I'm wondering how Sea Lions sunk a 50 FOOT boat. You would think that 70 of those things could be aboard a 50 footer with no problem at all.

Jordy
09-17-2005, 09:35 AM
I'm wondering how Sea Lions sunk a 50 FOOT boat. You would think that 70 of those things could be aboard a 50 footer with no problem at all.
Not all in the same area though. Seems to me that they like to all pile up. ;)

OLDRAT
Probably because all the obnoxious, ill tempered bastards are all laying their
fat asses on one side of the boat to get some sun.
Too bad we can't squeeze them into gasoline or diesel fuel :rollside:

Rexone
I think those big boys weigh about 500-1000 lbs per unit. :)

Red Eye
09-17-2005, 09:37 AM
I'm sure PETA will be out there in full force or some other tree hugging organazation sticking up for these sea lions even if they're damaging people's property.

spectras only
09-17-2005, 09:42 AM
I think those big boys weigh about 500-1000 lbs per unit. :)
they weigh more than a sterndrive . Wouldn't take more than two lions to sink a Fountain ;) :D

Phat Matt
09-17-2005, 09:47 AM
:hammer2: Maybe they should hire some of these guys. :hammer2:
http://www.canadianvoiceforanimals.org/files/ifaw_seal_clubbing_photo.jpg
And don't freak out on me. It's just a joke.

mbrown2
09-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Maybe with OC having some republican's the boat owners might have a chance....if it happened in LA County, they would shut down the marina before kicking the sea lions out.

Riverkid
09-17-2005, 09:57 AM
California Sea Lions vary between about 200 lbs for the female to 500-600 lbs for the male.
It's the big males getting on the boats, and these "harbor rats" are way over 600# from the looks of some of them... Always see 'em out in the moorings area on some poor guys boat...

Man-de-lone
09-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Where's that Aluminum barstock when you need it??? :lightsabe

Red Eye
09-17-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm not a tree hugger or a fan of Sea Lions, but God forbid if a Sea Lion should actually be in the sea. It's not like there coming into your house and stealing the remote. :D
I'm not saying kill them... er... I mean all of them. Leaving 1 or 2 would be nice. :D

phebus
09-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Freakin water rats.....

Mrs. 4-B
09-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Sounds like someone needs to bring a lawsuit against these darn sea lions! :hammerhea

LHC30Victory
09-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Matt, I LOVE the way you think!
Scarry at times, but (like killing Bud) always good for a laugh :D

Schiada76
09-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Spotted Owl.

totenhosen
09-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Spotted Owl.
bald eagle (I can see the crap fly for this one)

Up 4 River
09-17-2005, 12:55 PM
These dam things have been so loud at nite the plast couple of weeks. Sitting out on my porch at night you hear them all night. I heard about the sunken sailboat but didn't know the deatils. To bad :frown:

wanna B V
09-17-2005, 03:07 PM
they showed on the news how one guy layed out nail strips to deter the fat bastards. saw one big boat w/ 3 of em on the swimstep. the step should have been like 2 feet above the water, it was under water!!! is there any laws stating you can shoot them to protect your property from damage??

Rev. Williams
09-17-2005, 03:47 PM
My folks are having the same trouble up north in Avila Harbor. 100's of the fat bastards are coming in right now!!
But the problem isn't really sea lions, it's seals! Specifically Northern Fur Seals... These bad boys go up to 450lbs and have some friends that join them that are called Elephant Seals!! and those go 2200lbs for the ladies and 4400lbs for the men !! They flip and sink boats in the harbor every day! Every year from now until late february the elephant seals migrate in from the outer waters to bang on the shores of Cambria (near Hearst Castle) It's pretty cool to go up there and see 100's of the HUGE seals fight and jockey around to get the best harem of ladies to knock up!! They're almost the size of a small truck and loud as hell !!

desertbird
09-17-2005, 05:10 PM
A little like Spotted Owl, but "gamey-er"
PETA
People Eating Tastey Animals.....

Phat Matt
09-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Matt, I LOVE the way you think!
Scarry at times, but (like killing Bud) always good for a laugh :D
I know. I have a demented mind sometimes. :D
No animals were harmed in this post. :p

SmokinLowriderSS
09-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Hmmmm Since MrsRacer is nearby, maybe I'll forgo the comment on how wonderfully effective my scoped .308 deer rifle would be on Sea lion, and just mention a Madiera wine, red onion, and garlic based marinade as a pleasant thought. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
It's quite nice on turtledove as well. :cool:

dc96819
09-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Chicken :D