PDA

View Full Version : Running a prop from Avi to Topock???

2Driver
09-17-2005, 09:55 AM
How is it to run a prop from Avi to Topock? ( as aposed to a jet)
I have logged many years running Havasu and Topock and Parker but not much from the AVI south to the sand bar. I remember doing it 5 years back in a jet and thinking it was dicey for a Prop. I am buying a prop and enjoy the Avi as an alternitive to staying in Havzoo.
Thanks,

Man-de-lone
09-17-2005, 10:04 AM
When water is up you are OK...just pay attention....otherwise exercise extreme caution.

LAFD
09-17-2005, 10:12 AM
when i went for cbbb it was kinda scary. when we were floatin about 100 feet of the shore you look down and could see rocks. and when you goin keep and eye out for white water. lots of rocks around the middle of the river.

rivercrazy
09-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Depends on what time of year. From mid march through about the end of July, the water flows are pretty high out of Davis. As long as your looking out for shallow spots your fine during this period. Generally speaking, the AZ side of the river is deeper with less rockbars. River levels are generally pretty high in the early AM then drop until about 11am or so. Then they rise throughout the afternoon and peak around 8pm.
From August on, the flows are reduced continually through the rest of the season. Again pretty high river levels in the early am but then the drop continues later in the day. Sometimes the river doesn't come up until 5pm.
If you know the river well, a prop is OK.
The river from needles bridge down is generally OK to run later in the season with only a few spots you have to watch out for. Mostly where flood channels enter the river from summer t-storms. Stay toward the middle and your fine.

Benjhamina
09-17-2005, 10:18 AM
How is it to run a prop from Avi to Topock? ( as aposed to a jet)
I have logged many years running Havasu and Topock and Parker but not much from the AVI south to the sand bar. I remember doing it 5 years back in a jet and thinking it was dicey for a Prop. I am buying a prop and enjoy the Avi as an alternitive to staying in Havzoo.
Thanks,
I did it a number of years ago from the golden nugget when I still had my jet and it was a great ride. I see prop boats running that part of the riv but I remember on the way down(we just floated) there were spots where a prop would hit. I spoke with mary who still works the front desk at the G-Nug and she gave me a number to call that was a recording on what the dam was gonna put out at what times that day. It was all in Gallons per seconds but at least it told us when the riv would be high. On the way back the water level was up and I didn't notice any shollow spots but we were haulin ass.

LHC30Victory
09-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Runnig a prop is NO PROBLEM at any time of the year as long as you keep it inside the impeller housing :p

phebus
09-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Wouldn't do it. Not worth the risk vs. reward. If your staying at the Avi, just trailer down to Needles, or Moabi and launch.

2Driver
09-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Wouldn't do it. Not worth the risk vs. reward. If your staying at the Avi, just trailer down to Needles, or Moabi and launch.
Good Idea, any decent public launch sites that are safe?
Thanks to everyone else, man I miss the jet :)

rivercrazy
09-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Jack Smith or Moabi are best. I'd avoid Needles Marina or Topok Marina.

dmontzsta
09-17-2005, 03:51 PM
When I was there last month it was SCARY! I would not advise it.

AirtimeLavey
09-17-2005, 03:56 PM
I would do this. Stayed at Avi last w/e, although only boated on Mohave (golfed at Avi). River looked low. I think Needles marina would be ok, although others have said not. I launched there earlier this year w/no probs.
Good luck.

Jordy
09-17-2005, 08:59 PM
It was all in Gallons per seconds
Never heard of GPS for a flow measure, but CFM might be more accurate. ;)

JAM
09-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Ask Scream and Debbolas in the Sandbar Forum to show you their outdrive pics from when they ran north from Moabi :eek:

2Driver
09-18-2005, 08:13 AM
I would do this. Stayed at Avi last w/e, although only boated on Mohave (golfed at Avi). River looked low. I think Needles marina would be ok, although others have said not. I launched there earlier this year w/no probs.
Good luck.
ahh we were there too last week then went on to Vegas to look at a boat and attend a wedding. Man the river was low in the morning. I am used to Parker fluctuations but that section is quite a drastic change. I don't think my back will take a 21 Jet but staying at the AVI with the 4 year old was a pretty fun cheap time, especially mid-week. Made me want my Jet back

Debbolas
09-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Here is what was left of our skeg after hitting the "VW" size boulder in the middle of the river above the Needles Bridge :notam:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1271DSC01450-med.JPG
and our prop :cry:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1271DSC01452-med.JPG
If you don't the know the river, and your boat is bigger than 12 feet and NOT a jet, don't go above the Needles Bridge.
Our neighbor has a 30ft boat that he always takes from Bullfrog down to the sandbar, but he KNOWS the river.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-18-2005, 06:02 PM
We have a jet and we still didn't go through Needles last month. We went down to Moabi and did not have to stress at all. If you want an adventure and you don't have kids or high maintenance women with you, go for it. But otherwise, I would head south 15-20 miles. It was not a bad drive, other than the T-storm we hit (I think it actually hit us) on the way back. :D

Debbolas
09-18-2005, 06:09 PM
We have a jet and we still didn't go through Needles last month. We went down to Moabi and did not have to stress at all. If you want an adventure and you don't have kids or high maintenance women with you, go for it. But otherwise, I would head south 15-20 miles. It was not a bad drive, other than the T-storm we hit (I think it actually hit us) on the way back. :D
Do you know how many peeps would say that about Lake Mohave.........(us included......it's a nice lake, except for that 3 gale force wind, storm, rain we hit) :wink:
But she is right, don't sweat it, Drive to AVI if you must, Topock is beautiful, Lake Havasu is big (and warm) and the ride to (this side) of the Parker dam is awesome!!! :wink:

Floored
09-18-2005, 06:37 PM
after living here for a couple years I wouldn't hesitate to run it with a prop. You learn where to avoid and I do use my outboard and jet both on this section. I have seen 30+ ft cats launch at our marina and head south using our PWC ramp because the water was too low to launch inside the marina and they have no problems at all. Several weekends in a row I have heard a couple of very healthy boats running south at 4:00 AM and not going slow in the dark,( huge huevos) and the water was way low so its doable.

Uplink
09-20-2005, 12:35 AM
DON'T DO IT. I have done it several times, some with no problems, some I have hit a rock. I prefer to just never do it again, its just not worth it. Not my idea of a relaxing day on the boat. You have to keep your eyes peeled at all times, especially approaching Needles. You can't just drift, float and relax for long either, as you will just drift into trouble. From Needles south is not as bad. I just don't bother anymore, there are lots of other places to have fun.
;)

ACCEPTENCE
09-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Just don't do it.
It's been said stay below the Needles bridge and you'll be ok.
However if you do and your prop and drive end up lookin like Debbolas, I hear there is a towing and SALVAGE company close to that area that will get you unjunked up!!!

rivercrazy
09-21-2005, 08:55 AM
after living here for a couple years I wouldn't hesitate to run it with a prop. You learn where to avoid and I do use my outboard and jet both on this section. I have seen 30+ ft cats launch at our marina and head south using our PWC ramp because the water was too low to launch inside the marina and they have no problems at all. Several weekends in a row I have heard a couple of very healthy boats running south at 4:00 AM and not going slow in the dark,( huge huevos) and the water was way low so its doable.
Where's your place in WV?
We have a 25 Shockwave V bottom and boat this section of river all the time. Knock on wood, haven't hit anything yet. But I cut my teeth in a 21 jet boat on this section of river so I know it very well.
For anyone going up there, here is a few points during low water periods.
There is maybe 4-5 spots between Needles and the Avi to be careful of. One is just up from Needles in the form of a sweeping rockbar that goes almost all the way across the river. Stay on the Ca side for this one. A few miles up is another large rock bar. This one gets lots of boaters unfamilar with the area. You can boat up either side, Ca or Az. The Ca side is better but I don't recommend it as the channel at the upper end of the rockbar has only one area to cross back over to the Az side. Miss it and bang!
From Willow Valley up to the Avi is relatively clear. Just favor the Az side while staying somewhat toward the middle. The Ca side has a few rockbars and shallow spots.

Uplink
09-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Here's some waypoints I marked on the GPS from one of my trips, if it helps...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/194needles.gif
Mark :boxed:

MayDaze
09-21-2005, 04:08 PM
I was at Needles Marina about a month ago and the lady taking the fee said she doesn't reccomend a prop launching here because they havent cleaned the marina (to much growth) and told us to go down the road to Jack Smith. I have a house up in Bullhead and a 25ft Shockwave, I have to agree with River Crazy as long as you know the river and the water level is up you should't have a problem.