PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question..

syke-o
09-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Ok, we own a mfg company out in Norco and have about 10 total employees. Our driver came back to the shop to grab an item he had forgotten today, and he jumped out of the flat bed, and went inside and grabbed it. He then got back into the truck and reversed into the back of a parked truck that was parked in the building directly across from us. After an estimate of $850-950 for the damage i am obviously not happy and was curious as to who is responsible? Is it us automatically because he is in our truck on company time? Or can we make him pay for part or all of it? :confused:

Creator
09-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Company truck on company time regardless of who is driving means the company pays.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-17-2005, 12:57 PM
I would think your companies insurance would be responible for it given he is your employee in your companies truck. Also, I seriously doubt you'd be able to get the money back from your driver, this is CA afterall.

Rockdog
09-17-2005, 12:57 PM
You're screwed. I had a temp driver hit a parked car. We were libel because the truck belonged to us. Course - we got rid of the temp.

spectratoad
09-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Company truck on company time regardless of who is driving means the company pays.
Sounds about correct. Whether the employee still has a job or not is up to you. Drug Test???? Your insurance company may require it. :idea:

syke-o
09-17-2005, 12:59 PM
thats what i thought.. it just pisses me off that it happened in our driveway, and that he ran it into a parked truck that is always there, and there was plenty of room to avoid it. He just didnt look :messedup:

syke-o
09-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Sounds about correct. Whether the employee still has a job or not is up to you. Drug Test???? Your insurance company may require it. :idea:
dont want to go the insurance route.. we will just cut the guy a check..

HM
09-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Legally, not much. But you could hang him by his ankles from a 20th story balcony and see if he volunteers the money? :supp:

syke-o
09-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Legally, not much. But you could hang him by his ankles from a 20th story balcony and see if he volunteers the money? :supp:
ha ha.. now that would be fun!!!

H20 Toie
09-17-2005, 01:03 PM
just pay cash and don't tell insurance company

spectratoad
09-17-2005, 01:05 PM
dont want to go the insurance route.. we will just cut the guy a check..
Yeah that is what I would do.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-17-2005, 01:08 PM
IT was just an accident, its not like he did it on purpose just to piss you off. :( ;)

syke-o
09-17-2005, 01:21 PM
IT was just an accident, its not like he did it on purpose just to piss you off. :( ;)
i know he didnt do it on purpose, but he didnt do anything to avoid it either, like lookiing behind the vehicle while backing up... it just a culmination of things that he has been doing lately, all having to do with lack of attention :hammerhea

Captain Dan
09-17-2005, 01:49 PM
i know he didnt do it on purpose, but he didnt do anything to avoid it either, like lookiing behind the vehicle while backing up... it just a culmination of things that he has been doing lately, all having to do with lack of attention :hammerhea
Fire him and move on.