PDA

View Full Version : So many questions?

Snowboat
09-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Well, I'm getting most of the planning figured out for my project but I'm unsure of one thing. I have been told that one must use epoxy resin over epoxy resin, and polyester resin over polyester resin. Is this true, and if so, what type of resin was used in a 1977 Biesemeyer?

Snowboat
09-17-2005, 06:19 PM
C'mon now. I know its only 7:30 in SoCal, but there must be someone that knows the answer. I'm leaving on Sunday at 4:30 AM. I need to know what type of resin to use. I've located the suppliers, need to know ir its epoxy or polyester, C'mon.

GofastRacer
09-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Sorry Ken, wish I could help but this is not my field at all!..

Jake W2
09-17-2005, 06:30 PM
They uesd poly back then.
You CAN use Epoxy over poly.
You CAN NOTuse poly over epoxy.
In other words once you use the epoxy on a repair you can never go back to the poly unless you sand it all off.
Jake

Oldsquirt
09-17-2005, 06:33 PM
What Jake said ^^^^^. :) Stick with the polyester.

Snowboat
09-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Excellent, thanks for the guidance.

Morg
09-17-2005, 07:02 PM
At this point I'm really hoping Jake is correct. :idea:
So far he is :D

Jake W2
09-17-2005, 07:16 PM
:rolleyes:Pretty much anyone that has done abit of glass work would know the answers to this question,its not rocket science
I have done replacing all the wood (floor,transom,gunwhales,helm and stringers in one of my boats to glassing carbonfiber some glass repair and renforcment and regelling the other.I am not a pro but know the answer to this question but I am only 29 guess I need to be 50+ befor I get v drive aproved.
Jake

Morg
09-17-2005, 08:15 PM
:rolleyes:Pretty much anyone that has done abit of glass work would know the answers to this question,its not rocket science
I have done replacing all the wood (floor,transom,gunwhales,helm and stringers in one of my boats to glassing carbonfiber some glass repair and renforcment and regelling the other.I am not a pro but know the answer to this question but I am only 29 guess I need to be 50+ befor I get v drive aproved.
Jake
Let me clarify.
I have recently completed a restoration on a boat. I installed epoxy over poly. I was ust saying I'm hoping you are correct cause thats what I did & so far it has worked out excellent.
No need to turn this into a v-drive deal. Your age & experience is not the question. From what I know you are correct.

cdnguitarsnboats
09-18-2005, 03:12 AM
Hi Guys,
I work with this stuff fairly often, and I was wondering why people say you can't use polyester resin over epoxy? I've done it on numerous occasions with no disasterous results to speak of. To be more specific, I rebuilt my inboard hydro and originally just used epoxy over the decks. After a while, I decided to lay some cloth over the decks, but didn't feel like picking up $150 worth of West System, so polyester it was. No special considerations, the usual prep, and it's all still there.
Back to Snowboat's original question: if you want strength for a structural repair, go epoxy. If it's somewhat cosmetic, use polyester.
Jim

Jake W2
09-18-2005, 04:30 AM
Morg your boat came out bitchen.
I never told the guy what kind to use that is up to the repair man.
I used poly on mine putting a few layers of epoxy over the poly just did not make me think it would make the hull stronger when 99 percent(of it) would be poly when it was done.
cdng my fiberglass suplier said never to use poly over the epoxy hes been in buis for many years and I never heard anyone say any thing diffrent.Good luck with what you have done.
As far as I know most hulls to this date are built with poly.I know some are special layups consisting of epoxy and carbonfiber or kevlar ect.
Jake

steve d
09-18-2005, 07:15 AM
C'mon now. I know its only 7:30 in SoCal, but there must be someone that knows the answer. I'm leaving on Sunday at 4:30 AM. I need to know what type of resin to use. I've located the suppliers, need to know ir its epoxy or polyester, C'mon.
Ken-- check your P.M."s....Steve