PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a passport to go to Canada

Kilrtoy
09-17-2005, 05:52 PM
My brother -in-law is working in Washington and wants to go to Canada for the day. Does he need a passport or can he just come and go?

Kachina26
09-17-2005, 05:58 PM
no, click (http://www.travelcanada.ca/tc_redesign/app/en/us/travelArticle.do?catId=51)\
http://www.travelcanada.ca/tc_redesign/images/campaignBanners/us/OUTANDABOUT_SMALLBUTTON.gif

Miss Perfect
09-17-2005, 06:02 PM
no, click (http://www.travelcanada.ca/tc_redesign/app/en/us/travelArticle.do?catId=51)\
http://www.travelcanada.ca/tc_redesign/images/campaignBanners/us/OUTANDABOUT_SMALLBUTTON.gif
Damn it you beat me to it!! :D

FMluvswater
09-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Not yet but I heard a rumor that very soonly we will need passports to cross CAN/US border to and fro.

Kachina26
09-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Damn it you beat me to it!! :D
I hope these 2 links aren't related..............
http://www.travelcanada.ca/tc_redesign/app/en/us/images/navleft/nav_package_finder_off.gif

Kilrtoy
09-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks everyone...
he does not have his birth certificate...

Boy Named Sue
09-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Only if you're ugly. I come and go as I please... :p

Debbolas
09-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Tell him to stock up on beer, apparently, you can't just go down to the store and buy it whenever you want :jawdrop: shocking, I know :jawdrop:

uvindex
09-17-2005, 06:20 PM
From http://gocanada.about.com/cs/bordercrossing/a/truenorth.htm
Do you need a passport?
Citizens or permanent residents of the United States do not require passports or visas, and can usually cross the US-Canada border without difficulty or delay. To forestall any problems, Canada Customs strongly suggest that US citizens carry proof of residency, and some identification documents showing citizenship such as a US passport (this is the best), birth certificate, or baptismal certificate.
Permanent residents of the US who are not US citizens (yet) are advised to carry their alien registration receipt card (US Form I-151 or Form I-551). If you are traveling with persons under the age of 18, they MUST have their birth certificate AND a letter from their legal guardians, giving permission to travel to Canada.
The law requiring a passport isn't scheduled to go into effect until 2008, and it isn't a sure thing because of assorted resistance to such a requirement.

Miss Perfect
09-17-2005, 06:37 PM
The last time I was there on business, I couldn't find my birth certificate. They wouldn't even let me fly into Canada. I had to fly into Seattle, drive to BC and have my wife FedEx me my birth certificate when I arrived so that I could get back across the border.
Good thing your wife likes you :devil:

ECeptor
09-17-2005, 06:50 PM
The last time I was there on business, I couldn't find my birth certificate. They wouldn't even let me fly into Canada. I had to fly into Seattle, drive to BC and have my wife FedEx me my birth certificate when I arrived so that I could get back across the border.
2 years ago we had a group from work who went to Detroit. The group headed to Winsor one evening for some, uh, "entertainment" and one idiot only brought his drivers liscence. They said it took 2 hours of debating with the security for him to get back across!
I don't travel outside the US w/o my passport since 9/11. Why do it the hard way when it can be easy?
So Kilr, he doesn't have a passport or a birth certificate? He will need one or the other. Like SB said, getting into Canada is a no problem...getting back into the US is a whole other ballgame!

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
09-17-2005, 06:55 PM
ask kim hanson...he so UGLY they let him out of canada anytime he feels like it......although the U.S. cant stand Kim.....they keep putting him on bumper stickers......hows my driving...1-800-kim-sh--

Boy Named Sue
09-17-2005, 06:57 PM
ask kim hanson...he so UGLY they let him out of canada anytime he feels like it......although the U.S. cant stand Kim.....they keep putting him on bumper stickers......hows my driving...1-800-kim-sh--
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuui!

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
09-17-2005, 06:59 PM
ive got the folsom prison blues...

SoCal_fun
09-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Aren't you supposed to stay in the 'Kim Hating' forum and not junk up the sanbar with this hater crap. :boxingguy

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
09-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Aren't you supposed to stay in the 'Kim Hating' forum and not junk up the sanbar with this hater crap. :boxingguy
what do you got to say execpt jump on my posts mr. truck 2 hahahahaha.........

Norseman
09-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Right now you need a picture ID and a proof of citizenship, birth certificate will work.
As of Jan you will need a passport, or so I was told in June when I was up there!

Kilrtoy
09-17-2005, 08:02 PM
he is working in Washington and did not realize how close he was to Canada. So he thought he would take an over night trip and go sight seeing....
he said next time he goes back he will take his passport....

Brooski
09-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks everyone...
he does not have his birth certificate...
Does he have his green card???? :p

Brooski
09-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Sorry Kilr, but it was just something I couldnt resist. Damn JD! Just kidding around. It sucks, I guess in the near future we will need passports for any travel across borders. Just makes the check out from the Mexico cruises longer. :cry:

spectras only
09-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Kilr , the b.c/washington border stretches a few miles across :rollside: . If your brother in law works close to the coast , he could take a ferry ride to Victoria from the states.
All he needs is his driver licence and citizenship card to enter canada. What I've heard , it's more problematic to return , since borderguards from the us/mexico were sent up to protect your country from the canatards :D . Vancouver is a small village :wink: to visit , but an overnight visit would be too much of a rush to see .If I didn't bust the starboard drive two weeks ago :cry: , I could have shown him around to see vancouver from the water.

Kilrtoy
09-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Kilr , the b.c/washington border stretches a few miles across :rollside: . If your brother in law works close to the coast , he could take a ferry ride to Victoria from the states.
All he needs is his driver licence and citizenship card to enter canada. What I've heard , it's more problematic to return , since borderguards from the us/mexico were sent up to protect your country from the canatards :D . Vancouver is a small village :wink: to visit , but an overnight visit would be too much of a rush to see .If I didn't bust the starboard drive two weeks ago :cry: , I could have shown him around to see vancouver from the water.
Thank you so much... That is very kinda of you....

spectras only
09-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Kilr, no problemo . If any of you guys make it up here , let me know in advance. My boat should be running in a few weeks , [ also I'll be bringing the jetboat back from the lake next week ] we have mild winters here in the great white north to boat all year round :)

uvindex
09-17-2005, 09:21 PM
All he needs is his driver licence and citizenship card to enter canada.If he's an American citizen, he's not going to have a citizenship card (I understand our fine neighbors up north do have these things. :)) His version of a citizenship card, absent a passport, would be his birth certificate as previously posted. :)

spectras only
09-17-2005, 09:27 PM
(I understand our fine neighbors up north do have these things. :))
We have birth certificate AND social insurance card to add , just to make sure we know who we are :rollside:

uvindex
09-17-2005, 09:30 PM
We have birth certificate AND social insurance card to add , just to make sure we know who we are :rollside:If you can produce a picture of yourself standing next to Tom Brown, you're in instantly, with VIP treatment to boot! :p

OGShocker
09-17-2005, 09:34 PM
If you can produce a picture of yourself standing next to Tom Brown, you're in instantly, with VIP treatment to boot! :p
I can and I am leaving for Canada in the morning. :idea:

uvindex
09-17-2005, 09:40 PM
I can and I am leaving for Canada in the morning. :idea:OK, but when the nice border officers are searching your body cavities for contraband please don't call me -- I was just kidding about the Tom Brown picture! (Have a great trip. :))

spectras only
09-17-2005, 09:56 PM
I can and I am leaving for Canada in the morning. :idea:
say hi to Tom for me please :D

Doctor Feniks
09-18-2005, 02:32 AM
not if your wife is with him.
feniks--->fellow canuck

MagicMtnDan
09-18-2005, 05:21 AM
My brother -in-law is working in Washington and wants to go to Canada for the day. Does he need a passport or can he just come and go?
If your wife's going with him they won't even notice him :D

ECeptor
09-18-2005, 06:24 PM
he said next time he goes back he will take his passport....
Mail it to him...

Kilrtoy
09-18-2005, 06:26 PM
not if your wife is with him.
feniks--->fellow canuck
That is a good one....

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
09-18-2005, 06:30 PM
dont you know dum azzzz :idea: