PDA

View Full Version : Howard 28 Bullet Owners

Creator
09-18-2005, 02:56 PM
We (my dad and I) just started looking for a new boat and were thinking of purchasing this boat but before I spend the time to run out to the factory I would like to get your opinions on it.
What are your likes and dislikes of your boat?
If you had the chance to build it again what would you do differently?
What power are you running and what speeds and handling do you experience?
Is it made with a full fiberglass inner liner or is the cockpit interior still covered with fabric?
How does it handle in the big chop and glass water conditions?
If I missed anything please include it.
No I'm not new to boating (30+ years) and there is a good chance we will stick with what we have (2750 Lavey w/ blown HP500 making roughly 750hp).
I really would love to see some pictures of the cockpit area such as the side walls and the flooring. I have seen plenty of the dash and cabin. So if any of you out there can answer my questions and add any input it would be greatly appreciated.
This is really the only boat I'm interested in so those that have others please don't try to sell me on it unless it has,
1. Closable under cabin door
2. Integrated rear swim step (no bolt ons)
3. Full fiberglass interior
4. Has the look of the Lavey or Howard.
5. Is fabricated on the west coast
6. Must be a deep vee
Some of the boats I have no interest in include... Ultra, Dana, Eliminator, Kachina, Carrera, Advantage, Commander, Magic, Conquest, Sleek, Hallett, Shockwave, to damn many to keep listing.
Notice the list has nothing to do with quality just personal preference. I am really looking for a certain style as well as top quality manufacturing.
Thanks all,
J

Throttle
09-18-2005, 03:01 PM
you do not need any help here... you already have listed what you want, go and make yourself happy, drop some $$$ on your new dream boat. :D good luck and have fun finding what you like and fits your needs.

Riverkid
09-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Talk to GT.. He's an obvious fan of the boat.

Creator
09-18-2005, 03:06 PM
you do not need any help here... you already have listed what you want, go and make yourself happy, drop some $$$ on your new dream boat. :D good luck and have fun finding what you like and fits your needs.
Minds not made up yet, I still want more info before I leave the lavey. I'm still open to other boats just not certian styles. Basically this post was just to get info on a certian boat and not get a laundry list of other peoples boats like other threads.

Throttle
09-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Minds not made up yet, I still want more info before I leave the lavey. I'm still open to other boats just not certian styles.
the howard is nice, lavey makes a bigger one, what is that? does it offer the things on your list?

Creator
09-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Lavey makes a 29 and the new 32 but I think we want to try a different company and boat. Nothing against the lavey, we love it, but it might be time for a change or maybe not that's why I posted this thread. I really want info from the owners to help answer my questions.

clearfork
09-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Hello friend,
If you get a chance go to Howard, they will let you look through any boat. They are more than receptive to long drawn out talks about any and everything. Gene met us on a saturday afternoon and talked with us for 8 hours on his few days that he gets off. I am building the big red 28 with the tpi 900. My boat is being rigged so it would be a good time to check out which wire goes where. Basicly give gene or michael ample notice and they will meet you at your convience.
the other method is to call Gary taylor. you can get his number from tpboats.com . he is the man to talk with .
Gene actually gave me a list of customers to call. I call a few to find out what they might do different. All had a good experience and few would deviate from what they had originally done.
Speedman is on the boards and I talked with him, he also had some good advice.
PM me if you need to talk further, i will give you my cell.
It has a full liner with snapout carpet.
Most of the things you are looking for are there plus 10-15 mph if you want it depending on power.
Good luck, and have fun which ever way you go.
Both are nice boats, I came close to buying a Lavey myself.
On a side note there is a 2950 in NC with a 675 KE for about 110k.
It is a new boat with only 10 demo hours.

Steamin' Rice
09-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Have you looked at boats from Ultra, Dana, Eliminator, Kachina, Carrera, Advantage, Commander, Magic, Conquest, Sleek, Hallett, or Shockwave? :D :D
J/K, I am not an owner, but Howard makes a great boat and the Bullett owners all seem to be happy with their purchases.

TPI
09-18-2005, 05:32 PM
28 Bullet=Good Choice. If you let me know how fast you want to go, and in what conditions, I will be happy to tell you what it will take. The boat handles perfectly in all conditions, so speed is the only variable. The Howard 28 Bullet is very user friendly, and is unbelievably stable! Let me know if I can help in any way at all. Good luck

TPI
09-18-2005, 05:36 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383Speedo28.JPG

Creator
09-18-2005, 05:58 PM
28 Bullet=Good Choice. If you let me know how fast you want to go, and in what conditions, I will be happy to tell you what it will take.
Looking at a consistant 80 to 85 mph with 3 to 4 adults and at least a half tank of fuel on both smooth (sticky) water and some minor rough stuff (1ft+ chop).
When I say 80 it means not just winding the engine out and having to trim the boat to just barely get there. I want it to hit 80 and then move past it as I mess with the trim working up to 85. So basically it should hit 80 every time and be capable of 85 or more.
I saw your website, I like the 600 and 700 what prices are those running and would either get the job done?

TPI
09-18-2005, 09:20 PM
The 28 Bullet will Easily hit 80+ with 600 HP. It was tested at 80 with a 525. The conditions were perfect. To run in the mid 80's easily with passengers, coolers, etc.......in the summer months: I suggest the TPI 700 EFI. It will put you right where you want to be, mid 80's+. As far as prices go, of you PM me or call, I will be happy to discuss them. But the bottom line is: It will take at least 700 HP for you to meet your goals COMFORTABLY, without any hickups whatsoever. 28 Bullet with a TPI 700 EFI, now thats an awesome combination. The other option would be to purchase a 525 package, and upgrade it to a Whipple later...................Once again, you will be in the upper 80's.

Creator
09-18-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks, I will be in touch as we get closer to the purchase. We still need to check out the boat in person and sell ours.

hotlavey
09-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Hello friend,
If you get a chance go to Howard, they will let you look through any boat. They are more than receptive to long drawn out talks about any and everything. Gene met us on a saturday afternoon and talked with us for 8 hours on his few days that he gets off. I am building the big red 28 with the tpi 900. My boat is being rigged so it would be a good time to check out which wire goes where. Basicly give gene or michael ample notice and they will meet you at your convience.
the other method is to call Gary taylor. you can get his number from tpboats.com . he is the man to talk with .
Gene actually gave me a list of customers to call. I call a few to find out what they might do different. All had a good experience and few would deviate from what they had originally done.
Speedman is on the boards and I talked with him, he also had some good advice.
PM me if you need to talk further, i will give you my cell.
It has a full liner with snapout carpet.
Most of the things you are looking for are there plus 10-15 mph if you want it depending on power.
Good luck, and have fun which ever way you go.
Both are nice boats, I came close to buying a Lavey myself.
On a side note there is a 2950 in NC with a 675 KE for about 110k.
It is a new boat with only 10 demo hours.
Did you mean a 2750 or a 29?

clearfork
09-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah buddy sorry about that.
Its the 29.
Dirty duck paintjob. Really awesome to see.
I think you can find them in the phone listings.
Salsbury (Like the steak) North carolina
Jones marine
he called me about a month ago and they still had the boat.
Very nice people to work with.
Brand new boat, at 2003 price.
Good luck.
Would be a sweet deal for somebody.

Creator
09-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Yeah buddy sorry about that.
Its the 29.
Dirty duck paintjob. Really awesome to see.
I think you can find them in the phone listings.
Salsbury (Like the steak) North carolina
Jones marine
he called me about a month ago and they still had the boat.
Very nice people to work with.
Brand new boat, at 2003 price.
Good luck.
Would be a sweet deal for somebody.
Ours has the dirty duck paint job as well, 3rd 2750 ever made and the first to copy the offshore duck. It has been copied about 6 time now, It's a great paint scheme.
http://www.jumbocreations.com/lavey3.jpg

Essex502
09-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Creator - we've had our 28 Bullet for just about 2 months now. We love it. I put the HP525 in the boat and with 4 full sized adults and 85 gallons of gas (I know the specs say 80 but Gene says it's really 85 - so call it full tanks) on a 110+ degree Havasu day we have gone 72 @ 4,800 RPM. On board were all the typical accessories for a day on the water, i.e. full coolers, chairs and stuff plus two box anchors. This weekend we'll have it in Havasu in cooler weather + less than full tanks so I intend to find out its true top speed with a stock Mercury Bravo 1 26P prop.
What our likes?
Fabulous ride in churned up Havasu afternoon water.
Dislikes?
None!
Build it again and change anything?
Add fans to the cuddy. Gets hot in there in the Havasu summer months.
Handling is awesome. No surprises at any time. Very comfortable ride. Quality of the rigging must be seen to be appreciated - none better in any other builder. The boat will take whatever power you want to install in it. We went mild and are very pleased. Whipple may be in the future in a coupla' years. Before you go big power you should price-out your insurance.

Teabagger
09-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Creator - we've had our 28 Bullet for just about 2 months now. We love it. I put the HP525 in the boat and with 4 full sized adults and 85 gallons of gas (I know the specs say 80 but Gene says it's really 85 - so call it full tanks) on a 110+ degree Havasu day we have gone 72 @ 4,800 RPM.
If you don't mind me asking, what is you average speed with the same conditons and just cruising at 4000RPM?