PDA

View Full Version : TR2 vs TR3

BA Kurtis
09-19-2005, 05:51 AM
Whats the diff. between the two? I know the decks are different but do thay both have same bottum?

beaverfab
09-19-2005, 12:26 PM
It is my understanding the tr3 has more rocker in it. the tr3 were fast but several crashed when you added HP. j.j. just my .02$ :)

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
09-19-2005, 12:46 PM
ive heard about that also with the tr-3's

Bt273
09-19-2005, 12:53 PM
I don't think the tr-3 has a different cap as the tr-2, the tr-4 has the inverted deck and is a 7/8 runner. my .02.

BA Kurtis
09-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Thank for input, I found a tr3 and thinking about it for a new project, its in good shape and seems to priced right but hearing about alot of them crashing kinda concerns me, is that becauce of to much rocker :confused: , the deck on this one is not raised like alot of the coles I have seen. :cool:

olbiezer
09-19-2005, 02:20 PM
was just down in orlando at extreem boats shop and saw the tr4 cap ......as i understand it........the tr 2 and 4 are the same hull with different caps.......mike will make ya one anytime....tr 2 or tr 4 ....call em at 407 671 6179 mike will tell ya the differences in all of the coles.......

ColeTR2
09-19-2005, 03:30 PM
I think you said it was a 1978? I don't know that the TR3 was made then so it could be a TR2 do you have any pictures. When I got my TR1 the guy told me it was a TR2 I did not know????:confused:

Bt273
09-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Thank for input, I found a tr3 and thinking about it for a new project, its in good shape and seems to priced right but hearing about alot of them crashing kinda concerns me, is that becauce of to much rocker :confused: , the deck on this one is not raised like alot of the coles I have seen. :cool:
I would think if you are not gonna run ragged edge, you would be fine, all the ones you hear about that has air flited was on a drag strip.I hate that you have to start a new one,but glad to see you still have the charisma to do it again!

BA Kurtis
09-19-2005, 04:35 PM
I think you said it was a 1978? I don't know that the TR3 was made then so it could be a TR2 do you have any pictures. When I got my TR1 the guy told me it was a TR2 I did not know????:confused:
Its a 79, My nephewm said your boat looked awsome at the hb photo shoot, he showed me some pics WHATS UP with the green water :2purples: I bet you couldnt wait to get your boat on the trailer and get it wiped off :D

BA Kurtis
09-19-2005, 04:40 PM
I would think if you are not gonna run ragged edge, you would be fine, all the ones you hear about that has air flited was on a drag strip.I hate that you have to start a new one,but glad to see you still have the charisma to do it again!
Ya Im not lookin to run at the drags, just want to put togather a river racer. You know how it is we have it in our blood, I gota have another one.

flattie440
09-19-2005, 05:04 PM
was just down in orlando at extreem boats shop and saw the tr4 cap ......as i understand it........the tr 2 and 4 are the same hull with different caps.......mike will make ya one anytime....tr 2 or tr 4 ....call em at 407 671 6179 mike will tell ya the differences in all of the coles.......
The TR2 and the TR4 are comepletly different boats...the TR4 as the rised deck and 7/8 bottem and TR2 has a 5/8 bottem and a regular deck.

olbiezer
09-19-2005, 09:52 PM
see flattie thats why i dont make cole boats lol :D :D

ColeTR2
09-20-2005, 06:09 AM
Its a 79, My nephewm said your boat looked awsome at the hb photo shoot, he showed me some pics WHATS UP with the green water :2purples: I bet you couldnt wait to get your boat on the trailer and get it wiped off :D
Your nephew is working for you! he came up to me with a flyer :D First thing, Asked have you seen this boat? And yes the water was nasty!! :eek: :220v: :crossx: :skull: E-mail me some pictures of that TR3. And I will post them for you.

Bite the Bullet
09-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Whats the diff. between the two? I know the decks are different but do thay both have same bottum?
Cole began production on the TR-3 in late 79.The difference between the 2 and 3 was in the tunnel and rocker areas. The tops were (I believe) identical. Cole advertised a 6-8mph guaranteed increase in the 3 over the 2. The prototype was campaiged by Jeff Bruns in BGF on the NDBA and SDBA circuits. He held both associations BGF records at 145mph and 149mph respectively. I might add that this was before blown gassers had wings! The TR-4 was a different boat altogether. It had 1 1/4" tunnels and a brand new deck. Cole called the new deck aerodynamic. To further confuse the issue, a TR-3 with a TR-4 deck was called a TR-5 and a TR-2 with a 4 deck was called a TR-6. As far as crashes are concerned, the TR-3 was definitely a race boat and more sensitive to driver input and water conditions than the TR-2. Cole did not recommend it for lake use. I would imagine that most used TR-3's out there were laid up to go racing. I hope this helps.

ColeTR2
09-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Cole began production on the TR-3 in late 79.The difference between the 2 and 3 was in the tunnel and rocker areas. The tops were (I believe) identical. Cole advertised a 6-8mph guaranteed increase in the 3 over the 2. The prototype was campaiged by Jeff Bruns in BGF on the NDBA and SDBA circuits. He held both associations BGF records at 145mph and 149mph respectively. I might add that this was before blown gassers had wings! The TR-4 was a different boat altogether. It had 1 1/4" tunnels and a brand new deck. Cole called the new deck aerodynamic. To further confuse the issue, a TR-3 with a TR-4 deck was called a TR-5 and a TR-2 with a 4 deck was called a TR-6. As far as crashes are concerned, the TR-3 was definitely a race boat and more sensitive to driver input and water conditions than the TR-2. Cole did not recommend it for lake use. I would imagine that most used TR-3's out there were laid up to go racing. I hope this helps.
Bite the Bullet - Great first post thanks for the info! I was told my boat was a TR2 it was build in 83 as a BGF. is there anyway to easily tell if its a TR3 Vs. a TR2

Bite the Bullet
09-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Bite the Bullet - Great first post thanks for the info! I was told my boat was a TR2 it was build in 83 as a BGF. is there anyway to easily tell if its a TR3 Vs. a TR2
Your Cole sounds like a neat deal! In the early 80's, I owned a TR-2 ski boat and my good friend campaigned a very light weight TR-3 in RRF on the NDBA circuit. He was more technical than I was and (I think) he could tell the difference. I may have to ask him to visit this forum and offer his opinion. He loved his 3! Do you know how much your bare hull weighs and what size fin (small/short vs longer/deeper) does it have? I wish I could remember more about strut angle, engine placement, strut location and boat weights that might help you in determing the boats purpose. I guess it's an old age thang!

ColeTR2
09-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Here is a link to some pictures of my boat.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84241&page=2
I don't know anything about TR3's so any info is great!!

Bite the Bullet
09-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Here is a link to some pictures of my boat.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84241&page=2
I don't know anything about TR3's so any info is great!!
Great Pics! I thought your boat was a project. Obviously it's not. I'll see what info I can retrieve regarding the TR-3. Good luck and be safe!

BA Kurtis
09-21-2005, 04:56 AM
Thanks great post, that preaty much answered my ?? The one I am looking at is a 79 TR-3, I also found a 78 Kurtis 500 runner just like the one I just lost do you know any history on these boats?

Bite the Bullet
09-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks great post, that preaty much answered my ?? The one I am looking at is a 79 TR-3, I also found a 78 Kurtis 500 runner just like the one I just lost do you know any history on these boats?
I know very little about the Kurtis flats. Very few were out at the race course during the late 70's and 80's, yet Kurtis had a huge presence in the hydro ranks. A lack of marketing, perhaps? I was told that the Kurtis was a wider boat than the Cole, Hondo or DiMarco's, But I am unsure what impact that had on the race course. More wetted surface is my guess. When Kurtis went out of business, I never heard of the flat again. Sorry I couldn't help.

stix818
09-21-2005, 05:33 PM
My boat bellow is a TR-3 and I haven't had any problems. The guy before me (Mike Brichard) went through the passenge side, the boat sustained minimal damage and as you can see it was repair. He told me he ran CF in Texas and he was attempting to chase another boat down and got to aggressive. I personally haven't had any problems. Boat runs extremely well!!! Good luck with your project!!!

Bite the Bullet
09-21-2005, 06:20 PM
My good friend, who raced a TR-3 in the mid 80's, simply stated that the term "more rocker" meant that rocker started closer to the back of the boat. The 3's nose rode about 2" higher than the 2. The difference would be clear if you could inspect a TR-2 and 3 side by side. He placed a nickel sized shim in front of the prop shaft which created a little bit more transom lift and dropped the nose accordingly. The only time he nearly got wet was when he tried to make the boat faster without adding horsepower. He experimented with raising the "up" position of his plates and at what point on the race course he would hit the up pedal. I hope this helps.

smalls
09-21-2005, 07:48 PM
THIS ONE IS STILL FOR SALE>>>>>>>>>>VERY FAST BOAT.........
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/266cole_cash_009.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/266cole_cash_003.jpg

BA Kurtis
09-21-2005, 09:17 PM
NICE, what are you asking for it?

smalls
09-22-2005, 05:47 AM
NICE, what are you asking for it?
The boat belongs to Bill Phillips @ 530-622-9791
He's askin around 16,000

EXTREMEBOATS
09-23-2005, 01:07 PM
:rolleyes: Just to clear the air... We build the TR-2 and TR-6. The "6" is nothing more then a "4" top on a "2" bottom. One other note, the "4" will MPH better then the "2". But the "2" will ET better. Or so I am told by the pro's that rigged them.
Mike

WILDERTHANU
09-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Mike, tell Bobby to check his e-mail.

stix818
09-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Is that HUD's old boat??

markc
10-11-2005, 02:39 PM
How about the tr1 5/8" does anybody know anything about these? I met this guy that has one for sale that I took a interest in.
Thanks,
Mark

ColeTR2
10-12-2005, 12:14 AM
How about the tr1 5/8" does anybody know anything about these? I met this guy that has one for sale that I took a interest in. Thanks, Mark
TR1's are great boats I had one for 11 years! Start a new post asking about TR1's. There are a lot of guys here on the boards that have them and post some pictures.

BIGCHRIS
10-12-2005, 07:38 PM
TR1's are great boats I had one for 11 years! Start a new post asking about TR1's. There are a lot of guys here on the boards that have them and post some pictures.
How much difference do u feel between the two boats and was there much MPH difference.

ColeTR2
10-13-2005, 04:22 AM
How much difference do u feel between the two boats and was there much MPH difference.
The TR1 felt better in rough water, I think because it was heavier it was a great boat. The TR2 handles the HP much better and is quicker more stable at higher speeds and takes a set easier.