PDA

View Full Version : My 8 (nearly 9) year old son got a surprise ...

FMluvswater
09-19-2005, 03:12 PM
and so did we. As some already know my son has autism. He is currently in speech therapy twice a month. In a recent session, the ST told him she would show him pictures and he was to name them. She warned him that the pictures would get harder and harder to name. He breezed through it for a bit but then started getting stuck and really frusterated. It was then that the ST informed him that the words/pictures he was getting stuck on were for 16 year olds. :cool:
I'm so pleased and proud of his progress and achievements. Had to share. :smile:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/FMluvswaterbabe/Personal/aug2005-kiddopne.jpg

Debbolas
09-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Wow!
Congrats FM :D That is GREAT news......... :D

phebus
09-19-2005, 03:17 PM
That's awesome, you have every right to be proud.
You should have him start posting on here, it sounds like he is years ahead of most of the posters. :D

hotsand65
09-19-2005, 03:19 PM
That is so wonderful. I have a 43 year older brother with autism and he is remarkable, sometimes I wish I was as smart as him - he has nothing but love for everyone and everything. Thanks for sharing your story.

JustMVG
09-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Too cool!!!! so glad to hear it.

JackieV
09-19-2005, 03:21 PM
That is awsome! You tell him that we are all proud of him here on HB!
That makes me happy! Thanks for sharing such great news and progress! :D

FMluvswater
09-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Wow!
Congrats FM :D That is GREAT news......... :D
I believe that congrats goes to him. :wink: Jacob was really proud of himself as he told me all about it. He said to me, "I even only predicted some of the ones I got right, Mom!" I think he meant he guessed, lol. Still ... I'm uber impressed. :cool:

FMluvswater
09-19-2005, 03:26 PM
That is awsome! You tell him that we are all proud of him here on HB!
That makes me happy! Thanks for sharing such great news and progress! :D
Oh I'm definitely gonna let him know ... like any kid he just glows when praised. :smile:

MayDaze
09-19-2005, 03:49 PM
That is awesome!! Congrats to both of you!!

THOR
09-19-2005, 03:51 PM
That deserves a big ATTA BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kilrtoy
09-19-2005, 03:51 PM
That is wonderful news, Glad to hear this

dmontzsta
09-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Thats good to hear that he is doing well.

PHX ATC
09-19-2005, 04:19 PM
I can't even do 16 year old age group words.
That's awesome, continue the good progress.

Jbb
09-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Great work Jacob.....!!!!

spectratoad
09-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Right on!!!!! Glad to hear. As some have said, he is already ahead of alot of the people on the boards. :D :D

Mrs. Restless22
09-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Thats so wonderful!!!
Good news! :wink:

HOOTER SLED-
09-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Mrs.'s here................
This is sooooo cool to hear!!!!!! You tell him that we are all sooooo proud of him!!!!!
GOOD NEWS!!!!! :D

StealBlueZ
09-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Great Story!

bunny 166
09-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Wow, FM, how wonderful for you and your family!!! :cool: Sounds like he's on the right track.... :wink:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-19-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm so happy for him. He must be so proud of himself! That's awesome news, FM. I'm glad you keep us posted on his progress.

Itsahobby
09-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Fantastic! You must be so proud.
We were told our son, who also has autism, would never talk. We didn't believe the school district so we put him in speech therapy. He now has a very extensive vocabulary!! and will come and ask you questions and answer questions with one word answers.
All the hard work does pay off!!
Hobby

TrickMarine.net
09-19-2005, 06:21 PM
and so did we. As some already know my son has autism. He is currently in speech therapy twice a month. In a recent session, the ST told him she would show him pictures and he was to name them. She warned him that the pictures would get harder and harder to name. He breezed through it for a bit but then started getting stuck and really frusterated. It was then that the ST informed him that the words/pictures he was getting stuck on were for 16 year olds. :cool:
I'm so pleased and proud of his progress and achievements. Had to share. :smile:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/FMluvswaterbabe/Personal/aug2005-kiddopne.jpg
My son who was diagosed as learning diabled at a very young age just started law school after earning a masters degree.
Never give up, never let anyone else put limits on your sons future abilities!
God bless. I couldn't be happier for you and your son.;)

Windy
09-19-2005, 06:36 PM
My brother had a speech therapist all throughout school...now you would never know it.
He is a cutie...good job Jacob. ;)

Miss Perfect
09-19-2005, 07:16 PM
That's awesome! :rollside:

FMluvswater
09-19-2005, 07:37 PM
My son who was diagosed as learning diabled at a very young age just started law school after earning a masters degree.
Never give up, never let anyone else put limits on your sons future abilities!
God bless. I couldn't be happier for you and your son.;)
Early prognosis has already been shot to hell :D . He's a smart boy with a communication disorder aka autism. He's being given tools to overcome some of the challenges that poses and the only limits we impose on him are the same limits parents give any 8/9 year old. :wink: He wants to be famous - I've no doubt he'll be what he wants to be. :smile:
Hearing stories like yours gives me even more hope that someday my boy will grow up, leave home and have an independent and successful life. :cool:
Thank you everyone for the supportive comments; I've already shared some of them with him and he smiled to his eyes! :smile:

Tom Brown
09-19-2005, 08:48 PM
That's my buddy. :cool:
I think you should take him to the bar and get him laid.

FMluvswater
09-19-2005, 10:00 PM
That's my buddy. :cool:
I think you should take him to the bar and get him laid.
... in 11 years maybe, Tom but I think having his Mom tag along might cramp his style, lol! :D You, on the other hand could show him how to pick up the hottest chicks. :idea:
He actually told me today that he likes girls a lot and doesn't really want to play with boys anymore cuz girls are more interesting to him! :D I think it's cute ... now. :D Later is later.

JustMVG
09-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Well it's good to see you guys got a boat, he looks cute in that thing. Is it a jet or ? :D

Rexone
09-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Good job Jacob, you keep up the good work.
Your mom needs someone to keep her within the rules on the song chain too. You may be just the guy to take on this task one day soon. :eek:

Rexone
09-19-2005, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=FMluvswaterbabeHe actually told me today that he likes girls a lot and doesn't really want to play with boys anymore cuz girls are more interesting to him! [/QUOTE]
FM this is a good thing :)
It's apparent Jacob isn't likely to become a ***boat BENCH RACER!
:)

JetBoatRich
09-20-2005, 03:07 AM
Congratulations FM to him :D
Keep up the good work :D

Just Tool'n
09-20-2005, 04:46 AM
Way too go, We see so many parents in todays world who do not care, keep working with him, in the long run it is he that really benefits the most.
He is the future of america, we are just old people too him.

lucky
09-20-2005, 05:41 AM
cool f.m -- dam fine looking kid - I know he takes after mom !

FMluvswater
09-20-2005, 05:45 AM
Well it's good to see you guys got a boat, he looks cute in that thing. Is it a jet or ? :D
No. I believe that there is a towboat? :D Playland kiddie ride. :wink: You'd think they could at least put a pseudo motor on the back of it or something, lol. :rolleyes:

FMluvswater
09-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Good job Jacob, you keep up the good work.
Your mom needs someone to keep her within the rules on the song chain too. You may be just the guy to take on this task one day soon. :eek:
Well, Mike I'll pass on to him that you said good job! :D

FMluvswater
09-20-2005, 05:49 AM
[QUOTE=FMluvswaterbabeHe actually told me today that he likes girls a lot and doesn't really want to play with boys anymore cuz girls are more interesting to him!
FM this is a good thing :)
It's apparent Jacob isn't likely to become a ***boat BENCH RACER!
:)[/QUOTE]
Amen! :D

FMluvswater
09-20-2005, 05:55 AM
cool f.m -- dam fine looking kid - I know he takes after mom !
He resembles me at that age yes but he so has his own look IMO. He resembles his Dad a lot too. It's a very peculiar thing cuz my ex and I don't think we look alike but a photographer once mistook us for brother and sister holy cow did that ever make me mad back then! :D
Thanks again everyone I will pass on the most recent congrats to him asap. :cool:

Her454
09-20-2005, 06:28 AM
FM, that is so awsome! :D I want to give him a great big hug!