PDA

View Full Version : F- Site Six!

Havasu Hangin'
09-19-2005, 06:53 PM
I guess my first clue to get the hell away from that posessed ramp came when I couldn't make that tight turn (the one that only bass boats can make)...and I screwed up my rims going over the curb.
Then...the water is so low, that as I'm backing down, the damn drop off high-centers my trailer so I slam on the brakes. Did I stop?
No!
The boat boat continues to pull my trailer (dragging) and truck (all four wheels locked up) into the water. Luckily, when the boat floated, my truck stopped sliding.
I don't even want to talk about getting it out of the water... :eat:

MUDXPRT
09-19-2005, 06:55 PM
I have a Chevy crewcab long bed pulling a 270 Hallett and my wife has never had a problem making that turn.

Havasu Hangin'
09-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I was tempted to go to the Marina...but I figured the 4 wheel drive would pull through.
I had to back the trailer down so far, that I hit something (rocks) at the end, and took out three of my new LEDs (along with smashing up the fender).
Then...all i could get the truck to do was smoke all four tires- it wouldn't get up the dropoff. Then, when I let off the gas, the damn boat would drag the truck back down the ramp- even with all four locked up!
F- Site Six.

Kilrtoy
09-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Sorry to hear this, no good. I have been there, lucky not that bad....

Havasu Hangin'
09-19-2005, 07:04 PM
I have a Chevy crewcab long bed pulling a 270 Hallett and my wife has never had a problem making that turn.
My trailer is 43 feet from end to end. Jimmy used to tell me that he always launched his 42 Formula there with no problems, so I thought I'd give it a try.
I forgot that he used to back down the exit.
F- Site Six. :mad:

mike37
09-19-2005, 07:04 PM
did you have the sight six trailer trash cheer teem there giving you inspiration

Man-de-lone
09-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Damn HH that sucks. :frown: Karma is a bitch, huh. :D
No pics? :confused:

Jordy
09-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Damn HH, you're a braver soul than I am. I launched my 19' there once and hated it. Wouldn't even think about kicking the 30' out there. That sucks. :( :( :(

Havasu Hangin'
09-19-2005, 07:09 PM
did you have the sight six trailer trash cheer teem there giving you inspiration
Actually...they all helped. The only way I got it out was to take the weight distributing hitch off, sand under the tires, and four guys on the running boards.
I was shocked...but they were all helpful. I really f'ed up the ramp, because when all four tires were spinning, the truck floatted sideways, and blocked the whole damn (posessed) ramp.
F- Site Six.

OutCole'd
09-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Damn, I've never used that ramp, guess I won't even try.

NOTALENT
09-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Damn..sorry to hear that...that ramp sucks though...it has a drop off on the ramp...thats why you always see people peeling out when they pull there boat out, trailer gets stuck on it..or the wheels.....I have used it a few times..with no problem...but then again..I have a 23fter...

mike37
09-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Actually...they all helped. The only way I got it out was to take the weight distributing hitch off, sand under the tires, and four guys on the running boards.
I was shocked...but they were all helpful. I really f'ed up the ramp, because when all four tires were spinning, the truck floatted sideways, and blocked the whole damn (posessed) ramp.
F- Site Six.
that cool would have guest they would stand there laughing
sucks that you had a bad day
I f uckt up one of my rims and still trying to get it replaced it was custom made for my trialor

DEEZ NUTTS
09-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Hell you got twins in that boat. They shoulda pushed that truck out no problem. :D

Havasu Hangin'
09-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Damn..sorry to hear that...that ramp sucks though...it has a drop off on the ramp...thats why you always see people peeling out when they pull there boat out, trailer gets stuck on it..or the wheels.....I have used it a few times..with no problem...but then again..I have a 23fter...
You know...this kid probably half my age (he was maybe 10 years old :wink: ) walked up and said that he had got stuck the day before, and they just threw some sand down...and it worked.
Shit...my boat is 12K lbs on the trailer...and without that handful of sand, I'd probably still be there. I'd like to buy that kid a beer (when he gets old enough :wink: ).
Hell you got twins in that boat. They shoulda pushed that truck out no problem. :D
With my luck...I probably would have ended up on the roof of the Suburban....
...then it would have slipped back down the ramp and sank. :hammerhea

Havasu Hangin'
09-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Isn't site Six in Havasu...hmmmmm :idea:
Ya, you are right F HAVASU
:)
If they don't get the Marina turned around...it will soon be "F- Havasu".
Need a neighbor? :D

77charger
09-19-2005, 07:33 PM
If you had a sunroof or do have one at least your head would be able to stick out.I used that ramp once with my old jet boat no problem but then agin it was only 19ft at that time i saw the turn and thought it was a tight one nnot a prob for me but thought about the bigger boats that use that ramp

SummitKarl
09-19-2005, 07:57 PM
I guess my first clue to get the hell away from that posessed ramp came when I couldn't make that tight turn (the one that only bass boats can make)...and I screwed up my rims going over the curb.
Then...the water is so low, that as I'm backing down, the damn drop off high-centers my trailer so I slam on the brakes. Did I stop?
No!
The boat boat continues to pull my trailer (dragging) and truck (all four wheels locked up) into the water. Luckily, when the boat floated, my truck stopped sliding.
two words
JET BOAT!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Throttle
09-19-2005, 08:00 PM
hh... that story just sends chills through my spine, really sux. sorry to here about the f'd up day.

boxscore
09-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Maybe a bass boat is in your future?

RiverRatMike
09-19-2005, 09:45 PM
No!
oh man that sucks! I hate site 6 also. I'd rather go to Windsor anyday!

KROOZIN
09-19-2005, 10:17 PM
You know...this kid probably half my age (he was maybe 10 years old :wink: ) walked up and said that he had got stuck the day before, and they just threw some sand down...and it worked.
Shit...my boat is 12K lbs on the trailer...and without that handful of sand, I'd probably still be there. I'd like to buy that kid a beer (when he gets old enough :wink: ).
...then it would have slipped back down the ramp and sank. :hammerhea
Dude...!!! That sucks...... :jawdrop:
So, some kid taught you a lesson..??!!? :idea: :D :D

Kachina26
09-20-2005, 05:36 AM
No!
Folks like you are the reason folks like me hang out just to watch :D:D:D
What possessed you to launch there?

Jbb
09-20-2005, 06:00 AM
Consider perhaps,.....a jetboat... :p

Tom Brown
09-20-2005, 06:19 AM
Maybe you should stud up those tires.
BTW, locked tires is not the best way to stop. You are supposed to let off the peddle until the tires unlock and then press it again until they lock... keep doing that until you hear a bang or splash. It's tough to think of when that sort of stuff happens but it's the only effective technique when it's really greasy or icy and when traction is really terrible, it's just barely effective.
Sorry about the gong show. Hey... here's an idea... maybe that tuna boat of yours is way, way too big? :idea:

Jbb
09-20-2005, 06:23 AM
BTW, locked tires is not the best way to stop. You are supposed to let off the peddle until the tires unlock and then press it again until they lock... keep doing that until you hear a bang or splash. It's tough to think of when that sort of stuff happens but it's the only effective technique when it's really greasy or icy and when traction is really terrible, it's just barely effective.
Sorry about the gong show. Hey... here's an idea... maybe that tuna boat of yours is way, way too big? :idea:
pedal not peddle...Thank you..

Tom Brown
09-20-2005, 06:25 AM
That's just greet.

Havasu Hangin'
09-20-2005, 06:46 AM
So, some kid taught you a lesson..??!!? :idea: :D :D
Yeah...he said that he was hiding from some guy with a Skater named "KROOZIN FOR LITTLE BOYS" last weekend. :supp:
What possessed you to launch there?
Tha Nautical was out of commission, and I didn't want to risk Windsor. :hammer2:
Jimmy told me that he used to launch is 42" Formula (with triples) there...no problems. I think that once people start using the ramp, and it gets wet, the games on.
If the ramp was dry, it would probably not be a problem.

Tom Brown
09-20-2005, 06:52 AM
That Jimmy is quite the practical joker.

Havasu Hangin'
09-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Maybe you Canadians should come down and show us how it's done "on the frozen ponds back home, eh"?
I kept thinking, "I'm trying to get out...and they keep pulling me back in".
That Jimmy is quite the practical joker.
Yeah...a very funny guy. I guess I should have gotten suspicious when he said he was doing it with a golf cart, too. :confused:

Rexone
09-20-2005, 07:06 AM
Hey... here's an idea... maybe that tuna boat of yours is way, way too big? :idea:
obviously for Site six.
btw F-site six :D

BoatFloating
09-20-2005, 07:15 AM
I think ole HH has problems at ramps period. Get your wife to drive the truck next time. :jawdrop:

Havasu Hangin'
09-20-2005, 07:19 AM
obviously for Site six.
My boat is a "Tugboat". It used to be a "Tuna boat" before I was married. :notam:
I think ole HH has problems at ramps period. Get your wife to drive the truck next time. :jawdrop:
I was going to try Crazyhorse, but then I remembered the "Boatfloating crator" that he dug in the ramp to get back at me for all the Oompa Loompa comments. :boxingguy

Evil-E
09-20-2005, 07:26 AM
Is there anywhere in Havasu a 30+ boat can launch safely? We are planning a trip on the 30th and this shit makes me nervous! The Marina is out of the question.

Kachina26
09-20-2005, 07:31 AM
Tha Nautical was out of commission, and I didn't want to risk Windsor. :hammer2:
Jimmy told me that he used to launch is 42" Formula (with triples) there...no problems. I think that once people start using the ramp, and it gets wet, the games on.
Jay drops his 42 in at Windsor with no problems. As long as you stay away from the rocks and use the north ramp, it's no problem. Sorry to hear about the trailer, I guess it coulda been worse.

Not So Fast
09-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Is there anywhere in Havasu a 30+ boat can launch safely? We are planning a trip on the 30th and this shit makes me nervous! The Marina is out of the question.
Windsor is a pretty safe bet, I've seen lots of big Skaters and the like launch there, it's just that the water level is low, so if you dont know the lake that well ASK SOMEBODY, especially heading up river :idea: NSF

Havasu Luvr
09-20-2005, 07:38 AM
FYI, Crazyhorse had 1/2 of the ramp closed due to low water. Also I was told they were only allowing pontoons to launch. The marina was good to go. I launch my 29'er in lane 1 with plenty of room (10' of ramp left). The marina only had 2 ramp open on the morning, lane 1 & 7.

UnionJack
09-20-2005, 07:56 AM
I guess you were to big for the marina?

SummitKarl
09-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Yeah...he said that he was hiding from some guy with a Skater named "KROOZIN FOR LITTLE BOYS" last weekend. :supp:
na site 6 is just a biatch, when the lake is low, lower ramp angle is steep, it's actually great when the lake is up and very easy for the one man launch thing. next time HH do this it works for me every single time!!!! at site six
with the e-brake on
put your rig in 2nd gear (not drive or low)
apply some some gas till your "power braking" (no tire spin)
with your foot or hand on the e-brake SLOWLY release it till you start to move, keep the e-brake at that position till the boat is up and out,, release the e-brake and your done. or just call me and I will pull you out with 2wd :D

Havasu Hangin'
09-20-2005, 08:07 AM
I guess it coulda been worse.
Yes, it could've been worse. I plan on getting the trailer refurbished this winter, anyway. In the big picture...it's probably only a few hundred bucks worth of damage.
Hell...the $499 gas bill was probably worse! :supp:
I guess you were to big for the marina?
Yeah...I'm told "too big" quite a bit (and the boat, too).
:D

Whipped Caliber
09-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Dam the one night we don't go down to site 6 to see the fun!! We have HH show up "DAM IT" we had rivertoys and waterndog with us too!! ;)
Stoped useing site 6 after we lost a prop there!!!
It's pulled my truck in the water as well.

Havasu Hangin'
09-20-2005, 08:28 AM
na site 6 is just a biatch, when the lake is low, lower ramp angle is steep, it's actually great when the lake is up and very easy for the one man launch thing. next time HH do this it works for me every single time!!!! at site six
with the e-brake on
put your rig in 2nd gear (not drive or low)
apply some some gas till your "power braking" (no tire spin)
with your foot or hand on the e-brake SLOWLY release it till you start to move, keep the e-brake at that position till the boat is up and out,, release the e-brake and your done. or just call me and I will pull you out with 2wd :D
Oh...I had the e-brake going alright. I think that friggin ramp just hated me! No matter how slow I tried...it just kept pulling me backward.
Wester's Tune + 4.56 gears + 33's = lots of wheel hop! :supp:
It's pulled my truck in the water as well.
At least it's not just me....I thought I was "special". :notam:
PS- thanks for the help....I knew I could count on you guys.

2Driver
09-20-2005, 08:38 AM
That place will get the best of us. We launched there all the time when we lived in LHC. Slow and careful even then it can be frustrating.
Your trailer goes 6' under real quick. Then, in only a couple feet of moving forward, WHAM, your trailer is coming out of the water and your boat is sitting on the trailer cockeyed. :mad:
That is why Bob McCulloch used it for his secret test facilty for his outboards. You could back a boat in just a few feet and have it in 6' of water. Also.... back in those days old Mr Evinrude could'nt find him to see what he was up to in R&D as they battled it out for the Outboard Market. We know who won :)

spectras only
09-20-2005, 08:51 AM
HH , since you're thinking of refurbishing the trailer , I suggest to change over to electricly controlled brakes that stops while backing down [ I reckon you've got surge brakes :idea: ] . Your boat is way too heavy for the burb . My boat/trailer combo weighs 8380 lbs [1880 lbs overweight for the GC :redface: ] and no prob stopping when the ramp is dry. When the ramp is wet ,I put in low and drive down the ramp till the boat is bouyant . You should have seen our faces , when one of our pokerrun participant showed up with his 42 OL pulled behind a Chevy Yukon :D
He's got a Freightliner on order though ;) .

voodoomedman
09-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Is your tow vehicle a Chevy. If it is then do the second gear thing like he said. On Chevy trucks when you put it in second it is actually in second all the time and not just a max out in second. It is setup that way so you can get out of situations where you wheel is stuck and spinning because you are not getting all the torque with first gear.
Oh...I had the e-brake going alright. I think that friggin ramp just hated me! No matter how slow I tried...it just kept pulling me backward.
Wester's Tune + 4.56 gears + 33's = lots of wheel hop! :supp:
At least it's not just me....I thought I was "special". :notam:
PS- thanks for the help....I knew I could count on you guys.

Havasu Hangin'
09-20-2005, 09:04 AM
HH , since you're thinking of refurbishing the trailer , I suggest to change over to electricly controlled brakes that stops while backing down [ I reckon you've got surge brakes :idea: ] . Your boat is way too heavy for the burb . My boat/trailer combo weighs 8380 lbs [1880 lbs overweight for the GC :redface: ] and no prob stopping when the ramp is dry. When the ramp is wet ,I put in low and drive down the ramp till the boat is bouyant . You should have seen our faces , when one of our pokerrun participant showed up with his 42 OL pulled behind a Chevy Yukon :D
He's got a Freightliner on order though ;) .
Hey Spectras...how's it going? I do have the electric over hydraulic brakes, but once underwater...I think those tires were sliding, too. I am going to switch to discs, though.
My 8.1 (3/4 ton) Sub is rated for 12,000 lbs towing (19,000 lbs GCVW), so I am right on the limit (a little over with gas in the boat). I geared it down (4.56's), Wester's Tune, and put a 24,000 lb GCVW tranny cooler on it...and it does pretty good for a "grocery getter."
I probably should have aired the truck tires down some- I still had a lot in there from the tow across the desert.

spectras only
09-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Hey Spectras...how's it going?
Not too well as you can see in this picture :rollside: >
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/sterndrive%202
At least you guys don't have to worry about deadheads :devil:
I probably should have aired the truck tires down some- I still had a lot in there from the tow across the desert.
That would help :wink:

Havasu Hangin'
09-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Not too well as you can see in this picture http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/sterndrive%202
Sorry to see that...that really sucks. How much is that gonna cost?

Debbolas
09-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Our friends launched their 30ft boat safely enough there, but we couldn't get it out, without dragging the bottom of the trailer, the back tires float off of the ramp! :squiggle:
They had to drive over to the Marina to pick us up.

spectras only
09-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Sorry to see that...that really sucks. How much is that gonna cost?
$500 cdn , deductible that is :D . Collateral damage doing only 40 mph on the GPS. Good thing the drive hung on by the ext steering and trim cylinders ,so the bellows kept the water from entering through the bearing sinking the boat.
I'll install another 1800 gph bilgepump for future endeavors ;) .The coupler is ok since the drive shaft pulled out on the impact , the transom inner plate needs replacing ,because the bottom part of the casting cracked . The drive upper housing needs to be replaced because of the small left lip with the friction plates broken off . The s/s wingplates dug in the swimgrid and molding ,so fiberglass repairs need to be done too . I should replace the drives with jets and just triple the horsepower for the get go :idea: :D

ROZ
09-20-2005, 02:28 PM
You wouldn't have been in that mess had you bought a pool instead...

Tom Brown
09-20-2005, 02:29 PM
... so he could run his SeaDoo in a log-free environment.

Kilrtoy
09-20-2005, 02:31 PM
My boat is a "Tugboat". It used to be a "Tuna boat" before I OWNED IT. :notam:
I corrected the sentence for you......

AirtimeLavey
09-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Ok, sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad to hear I'm not the only idiot... and even pros like you have issues there. :hammerhea
Launched my Lavey 24 NuEra there (fockin site 6) on Sat. morning after the guy working at Crazyhorse told me it might be better at site 6 than trying to launch there at CH. Having never launched at either place, sounded great, and I appreciated the advice.
For the launch, thought we were bringing the Tahoe with us (in the water). :2purples: Fortunately, stopped (sliding) before the water line. Bottomed the trailer, just a bit, but not bad.
For the retrieve, the ramp was wet, so I took it real easy backing in. Brought the boat up, but the g/f couldn't hook up the strap because the nose was below the pulley, because of the steep angle. Backed the boat, and had the g/f ssslllooowly back the trailer down more. Brought the boat back up and got the strap clipped to the bow eye, told the g/f to pull the Tahoe forward as I made sure the boat sat right on the trailer. I told the g/f to go, she said she was...all four wheels spun and car drifted sideways! (4wd). Trailer fockin high centered. I had her back it down slowly, then go forward and DO NOT stop. Made the most god awful noise and sparks and shiat, but we got clear. Through all this, guy launching small jet came over and helped and told me what a nightmare that ramp was and it's an event for locals to come and watch. Fockers....get a life! :eat:
Then, while wiping down, could hear others making similar horrifying noises (tires squealing, metal grinding, etc) and I knew it wasn't just me feeling stupid. F - Site 6. :yuk:

spectras only
09-20-2005, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't be in this mess , had I bought a pool and played with R/C boats instead :D

clearfork
09-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Anybody have pics so we could get an idea what the ramp looks like?
Not that it would matter for me, just curious. Thanks,

Havasu Hangin'
09-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Ok, sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad to hear I'm not the only idiot... and even pros like you have issues there. :hammerhea
Launched my Lavey 24 NuEra there (fockin site 6) on Sat. morning after the guy working at Crazyhorse told me it might be better at site 6 than trying to launch there at CH. Having never launched at either place, sounded great, and I appreciated the advice.
For the launch, thought we were bringing the Tahoe with us (in the water). :2purples: Fortunately, stopped (sliding) before the water line. Bottomed the trailer, just a bit, but not bad.
For the retrieve, the ramp was wet, so I took it real easy backing in. Brought the boat up, but the g/f couldn't hook up the strap because the nose was below the pulley, because of the steep angle. Backed the boat, and had the g/f ssslllooowly back the trailer down more. Brought the boat back up and got the strap clipped to the bow eye, told the g/f to pull the Tahoe forward as I made sure the boat sat right on the trailer. I told the g/f to go, she said she was...all four wheels spun and car drifted sideways! (4wd). Trailer fockin high centered. I had her back it down slowly, then go forward and DO NOT stop. Made the most god awful noise and sparks and shiat, but we got clear. Through all this, guy launching small jet came over and helped and told me what a nightmare that ramp was and it's an event for locals to come and watch. Fockers....get a life! :eat:
Then, while wiping down, could hear others making similar horrifying noises (tires squealing, metal grinding, etc) and I knew it wasn't just me feeling stupid. F - Site 6. :yuk:
Sorry to hear it happened to you, too.
I've launched at every ramp in Havasu at one time or another...those people need to spend some money on thier ramps. Hell...the lake is only down two feet or so. What the hell kind of ramps get dangerous when the lake drops two feet?
My kid with his Bob the Builder tractor can build a better ramps than Havasu has!
PS- F- The Marina!
Anybody have pics so we could get an idea what the ramp looks like?
Not that it would matter for me, just curious. Thanks,
I might be able to get some pics this weekend.

AirtimeLavey
09-20-2005, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=Havasu Hangin']Sorry to hear it happened to you, too.
I've launched at every ramp in Havasu at one time or another...those people need to spend some money on thier ramps. Hell...the lake is only down two feet or so. What the hell kind of ramps get dangerous when the lake drops two feet?
My kid with his Bob the Builder tractor can build a better ramps than Havasu has!
PS- F- The Marina!
So, if the Marina is f-d, where else is a good place to launch this time of year?

Phat Matt
09-20-2005, 03:38 PM
I have always launched at Winsor and never had a problem. I always see big boats launching there as well.

voodoomedman
09-20-2005, 03:48 PM
I have always launched at Winsor and never had a problem. I always see big boats launching there as well.
North Ramp and stay in the middle when the water is low.

AirtimeLavey
09-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Guess we'll try there next.

Phat Matt
09-20-2005, 03:49 PM
North Ramp and stay in the middle when the water is low.
Yep.

voodoomedman
09-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Or Cattail but it's a 15 mile drive South of Town. Rangers are the nicest dudes in the world. Especially if you bought your annual pass from them.

Jrocket
09-20-2005, 03:56 PM
I heard the owner of site 6 owns a trailer repair shop right next door! :p
You should of let the whole rig roll back into the water and collect the check my friend.

Tom Brown
09-20-2005, 03:58 PM
You should of let the whole rig roll back into the water and collect the check my friend.
Signed: Your pal, JRocket.

MUDXPRT
09-20-2005, 04:58 PM
I believe everyone's story but (thank God) I have never had a problem at that site, like stated before I have a Hallett 270 on a double axel trailer towing with chevy crewcab, long bed, duramax, four wheel drive and never used four wheel. Guess we have been lucky.

Havasu Hangin'
09-20-2005, 05:49 PM
I believe everyone's story but (thank God) I have never had a problem at that site, like stated before I have a Hallett 270 on a double axel trailer towing with chevy crewcab, long bed, duramax, four wheel drive and never used four wheel. Guess we have been lucky.
Maybe the lake just doesn't like Hallets, so it tries to spit them out?

boxscore
09-20-2005, 07:13 PM
So, if the Marina is f-d, where else is a good place to launch this time of year?
You could buy a park model at the Islander :hammerhea
Their ramp is pretty darn nice.

Phat Matt
09-20-2005, 07:17 PM
if the water is up i love it,no wind eazys loading ,but that ramp is steep,always drag the trailer if the water is down,but winser(sp) is a bitch if the wind is blown,peeps hang around the ramp like their handing out free beer?get the hell away from the ramp till its your turn!
We don't pull off till between 8 and midnight so there is nobody there. :)