PDA

View Full Version : hole?

jetboat
05-09-2006, 12:26 PM
can anyone explain why in the bottom front of the engine well there is a 3/4 or so hole into the bottom of the boat.there are no stringers,just flat with foam under.in the final phases of restoring and why have a hole that water can get into the foam?

MudPumper
05-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Pictures would be a great help......

ONAROLL
05-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Fresh water inlet for a bait tank? :idea:

jetboat
05-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Pictures would be a great help......
whats correct or you just dont know!

Flip
05-09-2006, 12:52 PM
I think you're talking about the drain hole from under the floor to the bilge area.

jetboat
05-09-2006, 12:55 PM
I think you're talking about the drain hole from under the floor to the bilge area.
ya,so why even have it,takes foever to drain,thinking of just glassing it up to keep the foam dry.if that one of the reasons its there.

Devilman
05-09-2006, 01:24 PM
ya,so why even have it,takes foever to drain,thinking of just glassing it up to keep the foam dry.if that one of the reasons its there.
Mine doesn't have one. I don't think it even had one before I got the floor done.

MudPumper
05-09-2006, 01:29 PM
whats correct or you just dont know!
What does that mean???
I said pictures would be a great help because your description didn't make sense.(Trying to picture it in my head what you described) To me it sounded like you were describing a hole in the bottom of your boat.

sanger rat
05-09-2006, 01:46 PM
My Sanger has them. There is glass over the foam. I believe thats how they shot the foam in.

MudPumper
05-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Come on admit it you just dont know :)
I don't know what he's talking about...LOL :)

xs ultra
05-09-2006, 03:34 PM
water pick up -fitting hole ?

NELSON#109
05-09-2006, 04:14 PM
I Know Exactly What Ur Talking About. I Believe The Whole Is To Keep Water From Building And Getting Traped In The Floor. Water Will Get In, But If It Cant Get Out And Breath It Will Rot The Floor Out In A Hell Of A Hurry. With The Open Hole, It Wont Rot Like It Would Being Sealed. It Will Take Many Many Years To Rot If You Leave It Open. Most Boats Are Built With The Hole Open. Call A Glass Shop, And They Could Give You A Good Idea Of Weather You Really Want To Seal It. If You Do Seal It, I've Been Told To Put About A Half Cofee Can Of Rock Salt In The Floor 1st. Salt Water Wont Rot Wood Like Fresh Will. Just A Little Insurance. Nelson#109

ONAROLL
05-09-2006, 04:15 PM
If you glass that hole up and it takes any amount of water through the decking you will encapsulate the mosture in that area which could lead to waterlogging the foam in the forward portion of the boat, I have seen boats that will "plow" like hell just due to plugging up that drain hole,the wieght of the water wont let it plane out correctly, just leave the hole alone and always have the bow up a little when not in the water....02.....Vic

jetboat
05-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Mine doesn't have one. I don't think it even had one before I got the floor done.
hay bud,thanks for your input.check with the person who put your new bottom in,why it was closed or never there.

502 JET
05-09-2006, 06:15 PM
I would suggest not glassing up that hole.Just install a plug in there and pull out when your done running and elevate the hull and let it sit open to drain.If your foam gets water logged the boat will get heavy and your performance will suffer.

kp216
05-10-2006, 03:19 AM
Mine did not have drain holes before I had my floor re-done. The foam that was under my floor was completely water logged, and weighed probably close to 200 pounds.
When the new center keel, engine stringers and floor were put in, the builder installed two 1" brass drain holes on each side of the center keel... and no foam. I put screw type drain plugs in which I keep in all the time. I pull them every once in a while to see if any water is in there. So far, nope.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/327drain_holes.JPG

jetboat
05-10-2006, 04:23 AM
you'al told me what i was thinking,most likely will put a cork in the hole? but moat important,keep the water out.seal everything.as for you mudpumper!at 30 you seam to have the mind of a wise ass,or just think your very funny.no wonder,all fruit and nuts comes from california.

jetboat
05-10-2006, 04:27 AM
thanks,thats the deal,we spent almost a week getting 2 buckets of water out,hope the heat in texas will get rid of some of the moisture?

CARLSON-JET
05-10-2006, 09:09 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head Rio.
Jet boat, I don't recall Mudpumper posting anything negative in the 4 years I have read his posts on this and other jet forums against many posters. Your question was a bit confusing to me also.
kp216 posted a great example of the answer to your question. I would also add that you might want to look at the stearn end of the "Bilge" for more of those drain holes. I have one hole on each side of the bilge towards the stearn. They might need a plug also if there are any. If the false floor ends near the bow area under the deck you might also try letting the bow drop lower then the stearn to allow any other trapped water to collect there and remove it. If water is allowed to freeze under the false floor it can create some serious damage. Freezing can cause separation of the stringers from the hull along with rott. Both have been the demise of many a jetboat in the past. R.B.

MudPumper
05-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Hey Mud, I think the uninformed NOOB mistook your sig line for part of your response. Give him time and he'll start to "git it" about the time he figures out what the "can anyone explain why in the bottom front of the engine well there is a 3/4 or so hole into the"bottom of the boat". Sure sounds to me like he meant the 'bottom of the boat' when he probably meant the"under floor drain hole".
Rio
Ok, now it's all making sense to me. Thanks for pointing that out Rio. LOL :)
See now Jetboat, it's all just a misunderstanding. The bottom part of my post is a signature line, it appears in every post I write and is in no way directed to the people who's posts I reply. You thought I was telling you, you aren't doing it correctly.
Your post was confusing and I suggested pictures would really help so we could understand what you were describing. Once you've been here a while, you'll see that trying to describe things with words doesn't always work that well. Pictures my friend, are the answer.
Yeah, I'm 30yrs old, what does that have to do with the price of fruits and nuts in California???? Do I think I'm funny?? I can be sometimes. Do I have the mind of a wise ass?? Maybe, but I wasn't being one.
So, I'll just stand by for your apology for calling me a fruit and a nut. And I'm sorry you don't like Californians but I was raised in Texas. :rollside:

Ken F
05-10-2006, 04:56 PM
LOL....isn't it funny how things that are written get misconscrewed?
Really hard sometimes to put into writing exactly what you are trying to express. Mike cudos...you handled it really well.
In response to your question & to Kevin also-
The hole is there to allow water to drain out when you are not using the boat.
Park it with the front elevated so water under the floor will drain to the holes, and into the bilge. It's a good idea to put the rubber/brass drainplugs (with a t-handle) when you are on the lake to keep any water in the bilge from going under the floor. Take them out when you pull the boat out of the water.
Ken F

bergen
05-10-2006, 06:59 PM
dam i got them holes in my boat to, i thought they were their for the mice to get in and out. but what do i no i'm just a cali- boy lol bergen

jetboat
05-11-2006, 04:42 AM
Ok, now it's all making sense to me. Thanks for pointing that out Rio. LOL :)
See now Jetboat, it's all just a misunderstanding. The bottom part of my post is a signature line, it appears in every post I write and is in no way directed to the people who's posts I reply. You thought I was telling you, you aren't doing it correctly.
Your post was confusing and I suggested pictures would really help so we could understand what you were describing. Once you've been here a while, you'll see that trying to describe things with words doesn't always work that well. Pictures my friend, are the answer.
Yeah, I'm 30yrs old, what does that have to do with the price of fruits and nuts in California???? Do I think I'm funny?? I can be sometimes. Do I have the mind of a wise ass?? Maybe, but I wasn't being one.
So, I'll just stand by for your apology for calling me a fruit and a nut. And I'm sorry you don't like Californians but I was raised in Texas. :rollside:
to start all over again,apology given,you asked what does 30yrs have to do with fruts and nuts,simple,i have 29 yrs plus on you also being from huntington beach california, thus have more fruit and nut in me.no hard feelings bud,have a blessed day.

jetboat
05-11-2006, 05:22 AM
finally got rprimed and glide coated,the wife says it should go to hollywood as pt-1091/2 and blow the xxxp out of it.maybe this weekend the bottom will get painted in its new color,ready,''white'' original ha!,but found out pearl white tube like tooth paste is only $40.00.this might be mixed with the top coat or sprayed as goast flames over the burgandy flames,dont no yet.next week pictures will come.

Devilman
05-11-2006, 05:34 AM
finally got rprimed and glide coated,the wife says it should go to hollywood as pt-1091/2 and blow the xxxp out of it.maybe this weekend the bottom will get painted in its new color,ready,''white'' original ha!,but found out pearl white tube like tooth paste is only $40.00.this might be mixed with the top coat or sprayed as goast flames over the burgandy flames,dont no yet.next week pictures will come.
"PT109 1/2" LOL, sounds like shes not fully accepting the project quite yet.:D
Get that boat done, gonna be plenty of good weather to run around in! The colors sound good, be ready to see the pics! Lemme know when...