PDA

View Full Version : adding trans fluid to the motor?

nuboater
07-18-2002, 05:36 AM
Does this make any sense? I heard that adding the trans fluis will clean up all the build up in the motor because it has detergents in it. Has anyone ever done this?
thanks

nitro557
07-18-2002, 05:45 AM
its pouring trans fluid down the carb when its running will help free up carbon build up

nuboater
07-18-2002, 06:12 AM
I've got a 99 lavey with the 7.4 mercruiser I don't have a carb...so i shouldn't put it in the engine next time i go out?.i'll be taking it in for service the next day.

nitro557
07-18-2002, 06:26 AM
merc has a product called power tune thats a spray cylinder cleaner part #92-802878-57,i run a mercruiser parts dept :D :D :D you just remove the spark arrester and spray it in why the motor is running

220EagleXp
07-18-2002, 06:42 AM
Does anybody run tranny fluid in their power steering system, I just recently added external steering and they used tranny fluid. Anybody else heard of this.

lakesmodified
07-18-2002, 06:56 AM
Nuboater, auto trany fluid does in fact clean the inside of an engine. It will also clean up the varnish deposits that over time can make your hydraulic lifters start ticking. If you would like to see the cleaning ability of trany fluid, next time you're working underneath your car, and come out really grimey, take some clean trans fluid in your hands, and rub it in like soap, you'll surprized at how well it will disolve the grease and grime. Normally, I would drain approx 1/2 of the engine oil and add 2-3 qts or trany fluid. Then run the engine at idle for approx 10-15 minutes, or until the ticking goes away. It has worked for me for many years. Ivan

Beautiful Noise
07-18-2002, 02:32 PM
One thing to remember is, that if you have gunk build up inside your motor and you use Trans fluid it might start some unwanted leaks from your gaskets when the gunk is cleaned away.
Steve

nuboater
07-18-2002, 02:36 PM
I'm about 1 1/2 quart short right now. How much tranny juice should I put in?

Boater Bill
07-18-2002, 03:59 PM
nuboater - the trans fluid works as the guys have said. How big is your pan? I would be surprised though that an engine in a '99 boat would benefit any unless you never change the oil. We used to add one qt to auto engines (5 qt cap) to clean them up/free sticky lifters.
220eagle - trans fluid is used all the time in auto p/s but not sure about marine setups.

LakesOnly
07-18-2002, 05:45 PM
nuboater:
I heard that adding the trans fluid will clean up all the build up in the motor because it has detergents in it.
Transmission fluid (such as Dexron III or Type F) is very high in detergent-type additives--way more than conventional motor oils.
It is also about a 5-weight in viscosity, so be careful how you use it. Don't put load on your engine when the crankcase has nothing more than a petroleum-based tranny fluid in it.
In the past, I have run one quart in my automobile's motor oil with each oil change, so as to get the added detergents and keep the inside of my motor clean. And on the other hand, my drag racing buddy used to put it in his race car and idle it for some time...maybe twenty minutes (but NOT drive it/put a load on the engine). When used that way, it would go in red and come out black.
I suspect--with our boats--that with today's sophisticated lubricants and the mass quantities of oil our engines hold, AND considering how often we change our oil, it may not be considered as beneficial as it once was.
But hey, it's not taboo and it does the trick if needed.
LO

V-Drive Tom
07-19-2002, 09:26 PM
nuboater, Just as the guys that have tried it said,IT WORKS. For a dirty engine internaly, (not in the carb) I used to run one quart of ATF, with 4 quarts of oil in my truck, in the 70's!! Works neet! TOM..

Tahiti Day Cruiser
07-25-2002, 03:04 PM
220EagleXp - oN MY 1997 5.7LX MERCRUISER ENGINE, The manual apecifies that only ATF fluid (dextron-3) should be used in the power sterring.
:D