PDA

View Full Version : Truck ?

Waldo
09-20-2005, 02:51 PM
1998 F-150 2WD, 80K miles
My ABS light and BRAKE light are both staying on after I start my truck...any of you mechanical peeps out there know what it means (besides - take it to get it checked)???
I already changed the sesnor on the diff...thought it coulda been that.

Mrs. 4-B
09-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Talked to my hubby...he says since replacing the sensor didn't do it, check the brake fluid in the master cylinder or perhaps it's a bad level switch in the master cylinder. If all else fails, pull the codes from the computer and go from there.

voodoomedman
09-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Have you been having any other issues. Noise under the hood or other lights or electrical problems. I ask because on one of my cars which is a 98 I started having a noise while accelerating and then about a week later before I could get to it then my ABS light came on and then I started having issues and... Too make a long story short my alternator was bad and everything is fine since I replaced it.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
09-20-2005, 05:00 PM
come on dude- we all know its the FETZER VALVE.. Just get some 30 weight oil and gauze pads and you'll be fine.
or else it could be the ball bearings. eveything is ball bearings these days.

Waldo
09-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Where are the gauze pads?

HOOTER SLED-
09-20-2005, 08:14 PM
HIt up Shadow. He may have some knowledge in this area

JetBoatRich
09-21-2005, 03:45 AM
My ABS light and BRAKE light are both staying on after I start my truck...any of you mechanical peeps out there know what it means (besides - take it to get it checked)???
Your brake fluid is good?
The ABS system maybe failing :mad:

DURANGOR/T
09-21-2005, 05:14 AM
that your ABS/wheel speed sensor(s) are faulty. From what Ive heard its a fairly common problem on those. A good spot to start would be to see if you can pull any codes from the PCM, and go from there. DURANGO R/T

Waldo
09-21-2005, 06:35 AM
Thanks all...
Fluid is good, pads and shoes are good...
I don't have any way of "pulling codes". However, I took it to a Firestone (they checked codes supossedely) two weeks ago and they told me it was the diff sensor. :confused: :confused:
I'll probably try the wheel sensor next :idea:

dmontzsta
09-21-2005, 07:21 AM
It is a very good chance it could be your alternator. Those lights are in line to complete the circuit. I would take it out and have it tested, althought it might not be out all the way and test good.

voodoomedman
09-21-2005, 07:23 AM
It is a very good chance it could be your alternator. Those lights are in line to complete the circuit. I would take it out and have it tested, althought it might not be out all the way and test good.
That's what I was saying. My alternator tested good but was making that noise. It was on it's way out.

Keithb87
09-21-2005, 07:25 AM
Did you clear the codes after you replaced the diff sensor?

Waldo
09-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Did you clear the codes after you replaced the diff sensor?
I dissconnected the battery for about 10 minutes thinking that would clear it. Still came on.
As far as the alt...I don't have any type of "noise" under the hood...what should I be listening for?

JackieV
09-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Art says that it is done by some process of (and I am just gib=ving an example cause I can't remember exactly) like pressing on the break a couple of times turning a switch and then it dissapears... I forgot but I know what your talking about, once it's fixed but the light stays on cause it need some kind of code to undo. :( :squiggle:

Keithb87
09-21-2005, 08:57 AM
I dissconnected the battery for about 10 minutes thinking that would clear it. Still came on.
As far as the alt...I don't have any type of "noise" under the hood...what should I be listening for?
Disconnect the battery and hold the pos and neg cables together for a minute or two. That should reset the computer.
You may have to start it and let it run for about 10 minutes after that so the computer can recalibrate.

Boa1277
09-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Sometime the same code will be used for the diff and abs speed sensor you might want to try and clean the abs speed sensor I did this and it fixed the problem,(excessive brake dust) or you might just replace it since you have it all taken apart. Good Luck

Waldo
09-21-2005, 05:56 PM
that light?, it's telling you to get a ride with the year "2 thousand" in front of it. put a bullet in that ole' dog, waldo. come on kid ?? :hammerhea
Dude, do the math...almost an 8 y/o truck w/80k...thing runs like a charm. Just have these pesky lights that are on! :lightsabe

voodoomedman
09-21-2005, 06:43 PM
My noise was just like a bushing or something going bad. Have you ever changed the alternator? Don't they usually start going bad on any car after about 7-8 years or so?