PDA

View Full Version : whipple vs procharger

tbanzer
05-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Looking at two different boats. Both are 00 502mag, one has a whipple the other procharger. Any pros or cons between the two? The guy with the whipple said he had the procharger first and then sold it because they could never get it to run right.

blownup
05-25-2006, 06:57 AM
Go with the whipple procharger had alot of problems. I have ran procharger on 2 of my boats the carb. application is not to bad but fuel injected motors are not figured out in my opinion. I am currently putting a whipple quad on my boat right now. I have heard nothing but great reviews for the most part.

MrsSigEpMock
05-25-2006, 08:19 AM
PM Sigepmock, he can get you incontact with some one at Whipple to discuss any whipple ?s if that is the way you are leaning.

sigepmock
05-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Definately go with Whipple unless you have a Procharger mechanic friend :cry: . Dustin has the marine kits dialed in and everyone at Whipple will go above and beyond to make sure you're happy, even on a used boat.
Chris

Unchained
05-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Looking at two different boats. Both are 00 502mag, one has a whipple the other procharger. Any pros or cons between the two? The guy with the whipple said he had the procharger first and then sold it because they could never get it to run right.
The Whipple and the Procharger are both just compressors. They have nothing to do with how the engine will run, only how much boost the compressor would make.
You may be referring to the fuel system that those manufacturers run.
I believe the Whipples have an EFI system.
The Prochargers can come either with an EFI system or a blow through carb setup.
Most all of the EFI systems that come in a boat need to run entirely on the fuel maps, they can not run closed loop like a car runs with any water in the exhaust gasses. The water would ruin the O2 sensor.
Therefore the maps need to be adjusted real close without the correction of the closed loop feedback. This is the way I have it in my boat.
Worst case scenario for inaccurate EFI maps is that someone would have to hook up a laptop and make some small corrections to make the engine run better. It's not an impossible task. Some reading up and some advise from someone who is familiar with the EFI unit should be able to walk a novice through it.
If it's a blow through carb setup.................good luck.

Jordy
05-25-2006, 01:28 PM
You could also PM Nodigg on the boards and get his opinion. :D

Warp Factor
05-25-2006, 02:53 PM
The reason positive displacement blowers have always been the most popular on prop boats is because they can produce full boost right off idle.
Centrifugals, and to a lesser extent turbos, need some rpm before they produce good boost, and if you don't have enough prop slip to get the rpms up into boost, you might not be able to get the boat up on plane very well or very quickly. If you have enough prop slip to get the engine in the power band and up on plane, the prop may slip too much once on plane and into major boost.
A lot of people using centrifugals or turbos get around this by using a transmission. You get the boost and rpms up in in 2nd, then bang 3rd and take off like a rocket!
In a jet boat, none of this matters. They pretty much run one rpm at full throttle regardless of boat speed, and aren't lugged down like a prop boat.

sigepmock
05-25-2006, 03:19 PM
You could also PM Nodigg on the boards and get his opinion. :D
Yeah and then PM Dustin to get the rest of the story :crossx:

yeehaw
05-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Definately go with Whipple unless you have a Procharger mechanic friend :cry: . Dustin has the marine kits dialed in and everyone at Whipple will go above and beyond to make sure you're happy, even on a used boat.
Chris
I sure haven't had good luck with "...everyone at Whipple will go above and beyond to make sure you're happy..." . I called them 3 weeks ago and spoke with Keith who was going to fax me installation instructions for the HP500 kit. Still haven't gotten anything. Emailed and Shonda replied 2 weeks ago saying she would mail them. Still haven't gotten anything. Doesn't make me feel so good about dropping nearly $20k on a pair for the Fountain.

Jordy
05-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah and then PM Dustin to get the rest of the story :crossx:
Or you could just find the "I've been blacklisted from Whipple" thread and read his response. Customer service, or lack there of, goes along way here, as well as public image. Coming online and calling names and blasting people typically doesn't help your business. Ask Karl. ;)
Here is the link, I'll make it easy:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74526
Looks like a few posts were deleted but post #94 has the response that Dustin made to the problem and there are other quotes as the thread progresses. Deleting your irate posts don't do anything to help your situation if you have already been quoted on them. ;)

cdog
05-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Talk to Fonse Sr. over at Fonse performance in NJ. He builds the test engines for procharger and is an avid boater. You will need to have a tunable EFI to fine tune the maps and the procharger will work perfect. The fact that the bravo 1 style drives don't do well with boo koo tq while getting on plane is a good enough reason to stay away from a roots style blower. A roots style blower will work but your drive will be a time bomb. If your running #6's go for a quad rotor. :rollside:

Brian
05-31-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm pretty happy with my little procharger setup...
:D

05-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Of course, there's no mystery to the one I like! Customer service at Whipple was always amazingly quick and courteous. I have no experience with any centrifugals. Just roots & screws!
-----Rob

DEL51
06-01-2006, 05:18 PM
The Whipple and the Procharger are both just compressors. They have nothing to do with how the engine will run, only how much boost the compressor would make.
You may be referring to the fuel system that those manufacturers run.
I believe the Whipples have an EFI system.
The Prochargers can come either with an EFI system or a blow through carb setup.
Most all of the EFI systems that come in a boat need to run entirely on the fuel maps, they can not run closed loop like a car runs with any water in the exhaust gasses. The water would ruin the O2 sensor.
Therefore the maps need to be adjusted real close without the correction of the closed loop feedback. This is the way I have it in my boat.
Worst case scenario for inaccurate EFI maps is that someone would have to hook up a laptop and make some small corrections to make the engine run better. It's not an impossible task. Some reading up and some advise from someone who is familiar with the EFI unit should be able to walk a novice through it.
If it's a blow through carb setup.................good luck.
Ya but the name whipple is like charmin toilet paper. Don't sqeeze the air with a whipple. Pro charger sounds He- Man.

Brian
06-01-2006, 07:21 PM
ProChargers suck. Especially on pump gas.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2707blown568dyno.jpg

TPI
06-03-2006, 12:56 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383zwhipple_540.gif

Brian
06-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Gary that's awesome! I assume that must have been one of your quad rotor motors with some big cubes. I'm just not sure how far to push pump gas since I haven't done much testing. I suppose compression, boost, and intake temp are going to be the key factors. I'm hoping I'm safe at 8.2:1 and max of 9.8 psi and 130 deg F but I really don't know where the limit is. I've seen claims of 1300+ on pump gas but that just seems too far out there. So far I don't have any indication of detonation in my setup so I'm happy where it's at.
RE: Procharger vs Whipple, IMO it really depends on your application and how you want to make the power. Both are very efficient compressors but the screw will make boost at low rpm whereas the centrifugal will not. I think the centrifugal is good where you have a big motor in front of a Bravo and you're worried about grenading a drive. If you have a strong drive and can handle the instant torque then the screw blower has a big advantage. My impression is that for ultimate HP at high RPM the centrifugal may have a slight advantage but I don't know that for a fact. Of course if you really want the ultimate, ditch the belts and go turbo!
:)

TPI
06-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Brian,
IMO, everything your saying is absolutely correct. Believe it or not, that dyno sheet is from a 540 quad rotor, 8:1 cr with 10 lbs of boost.
I personally believe that the Whipple kit offers a very thorough upgrade kit, and their harware/components are top notch. Either way, if there is a good level headed guy bolting it on, and a good level headed guy at the helm, it should last for a while, and run well.

Jrocket
06-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Whipple has nice products,BUT do to Dustins customer service.....I'd never give him a dime for any of his stuff!

GRUNION
06-21-2006, 08:58 PM
I love my procharger it works great.

convincor
06-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Never had a Whipple, but I do like the performance of my procharger
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/222nose_cone_022-med.jpg

blown65
06-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Whipple Products are great till you have a problem. Whipple customer service sux. Just like Magnuson customer service sux.

Smokin Cigarettes
02-22-2007, 05:52 PM
ProChargers suck. Especially on pump gas.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2707blown568dyno.jpg
Hey Brian
Please give me some more info on your setup! I am getting ready to install mine!

Just foreplay
02-22-2007, 10:41 PM
I love my whipple EFI...
Just send Whipple your ECM along with boat specs and when you get it back, it's dailed in. No fuss, no muss...
Also, isn't Whipple the only one that is "licensed" by Mercruiser to "change/ adjust" the ECM without voiding the warranty? For all you that have a warranty...:D Just a thought..