PDA

View Full Version : Turbo headers

sanger rat
09-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Has anybody run a set of these? http://www.rewarderheaders.com/turbo.htm

obnoxious001
09-20-2005, 10:13 PM
I have no direct experience with Rewarder headers, but any dry headers run with a turbo application will produce tons of heat, you may have to fabricate braces to support them. I know of some bad experiences on dyno with turbo headers melding and drooping. You might have to water jacket the sides of the boat to protect it.

Unchained
09-21-2005, 04:01 AM
The dry headers will work fine but will have a significant amount of heat radiated. I'm on the third season of the set I made. They are supporting the turbos great and the alighnment hasn't changed.
I made some basic heat shielding and it has worked fine.
The rewarder headers in the picture mount the turbos right over the valve covers. You don't want that.
If you want to see how turbos look on your boat I'll loan you the set of headers and turbos I have after the season is done to bolt on and check it out.
I didn't get a chance to check out your boat up close at the Hardy Party but the tunnel hull design looks like the way to go for the jet hydro hull. That's a real clean boat.
I'll be back at Hardy this saturday again. Stop by and I'll show you what the turbo's can do. It's addicting though. :eek:
Mark
616 813 7237

keithmenard
09-21-2005, 07:24 AM
It is getting time, I am going to need to start looking for some OT pipes for my turbos.
I am hoping by next week to be able to drop the engine back in the boat and start figuring out the plumbing.
The dry headers will work fine but will have a significant amount of heat radiated. I'm on the third season of the set I made. They are supporting the turbos great and the alighnment hasn't changed.
I made some basic heat shielding and it has worked fine.
The headers in the picture mount the turbos right over the valve covers. You don't want that.
If you want to see how turbos look on your boat I'll loan you the set of headers and turbos I have after the season is done to bolt on and check it out.
I didn't get a chance to check out your boat up close at the Hardy Party but the tunnel hull design looks like the way to go for the jet hydro hull. That's a real clean boat.
I'll be back at Hardy this saturday again. Stop by and I'll show you what the turbo's can do. It's addicting though. :eek:
Mark
616 813 7237

MKEELINE
09-21-2005, 08:43 AM
There's a set of Gentry manifolds on Ebay. Barry, do you still have your Gentry system for sale?

obnoxious001
09-21-2005, 09:47 AM
There's a set of Gentry manifolds on Ebay. Barry, do you still have your Gentry system for sale?
Yes,, I still have a complete new Gentry system, and also the complete engine that came out of my race boat that could be separated. Not cheap, but good stuff.

MESA BALANCING
09-21-2005, 10:42 AM
you guys now CMI has a header that is identical to those and they are resonably priced also I build and maintain 6 twin turbo engines for a customers poker run cat here in FL and what we do is we cover the dry headers in a cast like material thats used specifically for maintaining heat in the pipe not externally I've run this set up for three years and never any trouble .

Unchained
09-21-2005, 04:31 PM
what we do is we cover the dry headers in a cast like material thats used specifically for maintaining heat in the pipe not externally I've run this set up for three years and never any trouble .
Can you put up some pictures or a better description of the material ?
thanks
Mark

sanger rat
09-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Mark are you going to be home on Oct 16th. I wanted to check out your boat closer at Hardy. There was so much going on. You got me thinking on the turbos.

Unchained
09-22-2005, 03:02 AM
Mark are you going to be home on Oct 16th. I wanted to check out your boat closer at Hardy. There was so much going on. You got me thinking on the turbos.
I expect to be around.
Give me a call when you're in the area.
616 813 7237
Mark

MESA BALANCING
09-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Can you put up some pictures or a better description of the material ?
thanks
MarkMark I'll PM you a phone number of were to get it done it's a cast like substance and it's used specifically for that I can't post pic's for some reason

Unchained
09-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Mark I'll PM you a phone number of were to get it done it's a cast like substance and it's used specifically for that I can't post pic's for some reason
Email me the pictures and I'll put them up for you.
mark55@direcway.com

ARS Marine inc.east
09-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Just wanted to say Hey Mark !!!!!

Unchained
09-29-2005, 03:39 AM
Just wanted to say Hey Mark !!!!!
Hi George,
I guess you made quite an impression on the club members running your N/A pump gas jet against that blown Cheyenne jet last month at Oscoda. :D
Put up some pictures and prices of those wastegates, blow off valves, and throttle bodies you sell.
I need a couple more wastegate diaphrams, and I want to go up to 20# wastegate springs.
Thaks
Mark

05schiada
10-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Sanger Rat,
A good friend of mine has those style headers that are water jacketed.
They lasted for 9 years in a Vector V-drive before he had to replace them.
We just put a new set on this summer cant remember what the price was but wasnt to bad the only problem is that Rewarder wont make them out of stainless. And yes you can get the valve covers off without removing the turbos.

DeputyDawg
10-03-2005, 07:41 PM
I don't think being able to get the valve covers off is the main concern with the turbos being mounted right above them. I think it is more of a heat issue.

Unchained
10-04-2005, 02:59 AM
For me it was valve cover access.
Mounting the turbos over the valve covers is bad engineering in my opinion.
Even if you could get the valve covers off without removing the turbos,
trying to adjust valves while leaning over those hot turbos is something I wouldn't want to do.

Dentz72
10-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey unchained...Mike from Novi here...You met me and my buddie Doug at brower...He has the little red flat...Wondering...how much would it cost to duplicate your motor knowing all the ins and outs of building it now!!I have a dimmarco flat..that I just put my old 468 with the old banks set up in!! Runns great!! TURBO'S RULE!

Unchained
10-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Hey unchained...Mike from Novi here...You met me and my buddie Doug at brower...He has the little red flat...Wondering...how much would it cost to duplicate your motor knowing all the ins and outs of building it now!!I have a dimmarco flat..that I just put my old 468 with the old banks set up in!! Runns great!! TURBO'S RULE!
I'll have to pull some of this from memory because I don't want to take the time to look up all the receipts.
Some prices are rounded off or from a few years ago.
Arias aluminum Y block with 10.7 " deck ht. $ 4800.00 (I paid $ 4350.00 in 2000)
BME pistons and rods $ 1500.00
Lunati 4340 crank $ 1250.00
Hellfire rings $ 225.00
Rod and main bearings $ 125.00 est.
Dart pro 1 heads assembled $ 2200.00 ( I wouldnt buy these again)
Copper head gaskets $ 70.00
Aluminum oil pan $ 525.00 ( I wouldn't buy this one again )
Melling oil pump, pickup and driveshaft $75.00
Bullet solid roller cam $ 525.00
Lunati roller lifters $ 325.00 ( I wouldn't buy these again )
Comp cam pushrods $ 116.00
Arias gear drive $ 550.00 est. ( nice unit but I'd get belt drive next time )
ATI balancer $ 319.00
Single Dominator intake manifold $ 325.00 est. (I bought a used one and welded in the injector bungs myself)
Homemade Intercooler box with bus heater core $ 1,200.00 est. value
Two Throttle bodies $ 250.00
Two used / rebuilt Garrett TV7701 turbos $ 900.00
Eight 160# injectors $ 730.00
Misc piping $ 150.00 est.
Scoop $ 185.00
Homemade Stainless turbo headers $ 1200.00 est. value
Two Wastegates $ 500.00
Boost controller $ 130.00
Msd distributor $ 225.00
Ign. Wires $ 55.00
Crower stainless roller rockers $ 280.00
Misc gaskets and shipping $ 300.00
Local engine buildier to balance and assemble short block $ 1150.00
Valve covers $ 65.00
Remote oil filter kit $ 125.00
Total $ 20,375.00
I may have missed a few small things but this is the bulk of it.
This would get someone to a completed short block with the rest of the parts ready to be assembled from the deck up.
I have some considerable time invested too but since I enjoy it I can't consider it work. :rolleyes:
A lot of my time is figured into the headers and intercooler box.
I didn't include the Haltech EFI system which is $ 1350.00
I didn't include the Innovative motorsports O2 sensor with aux box datalogger
which is $ 585.00
With a turbocharged setup like this you can dial the boost to 12# which is about as low as it will go and run pump gas / 2 hp/ ci./ 1100 hp, or dial it to 35#+ and that would probably put you well over 2000 HP (just my opinion of course). It will start easy and idle slow and smooth and the noise level will be 90 db at idle without mufflers. The throttle response with port injection is really amazing too.
I would say that the throttle response is lots better than when I ran dribblers and a crankshaft HP subtractor.
Mark

Norseman
10-05-2005, 10:40 AM
I'll have to pull some of this from memory because I don't want to take the time to look up all the receipts.
Some prices are rounded off or from a few years ago.
Arias aluminum Y block with 10.7 " deck ht. $ 4800.00 (I paid $ 4350.00 in 2000)
BME pistons and rods $ 1500.00
Lunati 4340 crank $ 1250.00
Hellfire rings $ 225.00
Rod and main bearings $ 125.00 est.
Dart pro 1 heads assembled $ 2200.00 ( I wouldnt buy these again)
Copper head gaskets $ 70.00
Aluminum oil pan $ 525.00 ( I wouldn't buy this one again )
Melling oil pump, pickup and driveshaft $75.00
Bullet solid roller cam $ 525.00
Lunati roller lifters $ 325.00 ( I wouldn't buy these again )
Comp cam pushrods $ 116.00
Arias gear drive $ 550.00 est. ( nice unit but I'd get belt drive next time )
ATI balancer $ 319.00
Single Dominator intake manifold $ 325.00 est. (I bought a used one and welded in the injector bungs myself)
Homemade Intercooler box with bus heater core $ 1,200.00 est. value
Two Throttle bodies $ 250.00
Two used / rebuilt Garrett TV7701 turbos $ 900.00
Eight 160# injectors $ 730.00
Misc piping $ 150.00 est.
Scoop $ 185.00
Homemade Stainless turbo headers $ 1200.00 est. value
Two Wastegates $ 500.00
Boost controller $ 130.00
Msd distributor $ 225.00
Ign. Wires $ 55.00
Crower stainless roller rockers $ 280.00
Misc gaskets and shipping $ 300.00
Local engine buildier to balance and assemble short block $ 1150.00
Valve covers $ 65.00
Remote oil filter kit $ 125.00
Total $ 20,375.00
I may have missed a few small things but this is the bulk of it.
This would get someone to a completed short block with the rest of the parts ready to be assembled from the deck up.
I have some considerable time invested too but since I enjoy it I can't consider it work. :rolleyes:
A lot of my time is figured into the headers and intercooler box.
I didn't include the Haltech EFI system which is $ 1350.00
I didn't include the Innovative motorsports O2 sensor with aux box datalogger
which is $ 585.00
With a turbocharged setup like this you can dial the boost to 12# which is about as low as it will go and run pump gas / 2 hp/ ci./ 1100 hp, or dial it to 35#+ and that would probably put you well over 2000 HP (just my opinion of course). It will start easy and idle slow and smooth and the noise level will be 90 db at idle without mufflers. The throttle response with port injection is really amazing too.
I would say that the throttle response is lots better than when I ran dribblers and a crankshaft HP subtractor.
Mark
MArk;
What heads, oil pan amd lifters would you buy instead???
Bob

Unchained
10-05-2005, 12:49 PM
MArk;
What heads, oil pan amd lifters would you buy instead???
Bob
Heads, Anything but Dart. It pissed me off when I had to grind a bunch of aluminum away to get the pushrods to fit on a brand new engine.
Also they came assembled ( by crackheads ) and the seats were never ground concentric if you can believe that. I had to replace all the exhaust valves. I'll never buy assembled heads again.
Oil Pan, Anything but one made by Williams Mfg. Two pans split and dumped all the synthetic oil in the bottom of the boat which was a big disgusting mess.
On the third pan a piece broke off the windage tray mount and found it's way into the oil pump which broke the shaft.
Lifters, Anything but Lunati's, They're totally worn out after two seasons. The axles that the rollers ride on must be mild steel.

ARS Marine inc.east
10-08-2005, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=Unchained]Hi George,
I guess you made quite an impression on the club members running your N/A pump gas jet against that blown Cheyenne jet last month at Oscoda. :D
Unchained You got that right! :squiggle:
I've been getting Phone calls that they remember me at a couple of events.
And YES the motor Runs ON PUMP GAS 89 oct - 93 oct Shell GASSOLINE
NOT TO BAD For A :idea: ROOKIE!!!!!!!! :idea:
ANY Questions :angry2:

Norseman
10-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Heads, Anything but Dart. It pissed me off when I had to grind a bunch of aluminum away to get the pushrods to fit on a brand new engine.
Also they came assembled ( by crackheads ) and the seats were never ground concentric if you can believe that. I had to replace all the exhaust valves. I'll never buy assembled heads again.
Oil Pan, Anything but one made by Williams Mfg. Two pans split and dumped all the synthetic oil in the bottom of the boat which was a big disgusting mess.
On the third pan a piece broke off the windage tray mount and found it's way into the oil pump which broke the shaft.
Lifters, Anything but Lunati's, They're totally worn out after two seasons. The axles that the rollers ride on must be mild steel.
Thanks!!!!!