PDA

View Full Version : Prices

Tom Brown
09-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Let's say you go to BestBuy. Let's also say that you see an mp3 player there for $239 CDN that you think is nice. Walmart has the same player for $237.
Let's say you decide you want this player. Before heading to the store to buy it, you do a search on eBay and find pages of auctions of this very same player at a $105 USD 'buy it now' price. That's about $125 CDN.
:idea:
What's up with that?
As if that's not enough, let's say you find an auction that's 10 minutes away from closing and you throw in a max bid, for a laugh,... of $100... and you win the auction at $87. The auction started at $80 USD... presumably the sellers lowest acceptable price.
What the... ??? ... :confused:
Does that mean that BestBuy and Walmart are sticking it up our asses with 120% markup? Does it mean these ebay units are hot or somehow obtained through improper channels? There were several dozen of them from three different vendors.
Why do you suppose these small stores can sell these things so much cheaper than the retail giants?

PHOTOGLOU
09-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Let's say you go to BestBuy. Let's also say that you see an mp3 player there for $239 CDN that you think is nice. Walmart has the same player for $237.
Let's say you decide you want this player. Before heading to the store to buy it, you do a search on eBay and find pages of auctions of this very same player at a $105 USD 'buy it now' price. That's about $125 CDN.
What's up with that?
As if that's not enough, let's say you find an auction that's 10 minutes away from closing and you throw in a max bid, for a laugh,... of $100... and you win the auction at $87. The auction started at $80 USD... presumably the sellers lowest acceptable price.
Does that mean that BestBuy and Walmart are sticking it up our asses with 120% markup? Does it mean these ebay units are hot or somehow obtained through improper channels? There were several dozen of them from three different vendors.
Why do you suppose these small stores can sell these things so much cheaper than the retail giants?$ 40 shipping fee :cool:

river chaser
09-20-2005, 09:31 PM
BUT
Walmart has a 30 day return policy if you don't like it :D

Tom Brown
09-20-2005, 09:31 PM
$ 40 shipping fee :cool:
Indeed. :D
It was $32 for US Post or UPS ground. The thing has a shipping weight of about a pound and it's not exactly large.
I definitely got hosed but I still saved about 40% off Walmert's price. :idea:

PHOTOGLOU
09-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Indeed. :D
It was $32 for US Post or UPS ground. The thing has a shipping weight of about a pound and it's not exactly large.
I definitely got hosed but I still saved about 40% off Walmert's price. :idea:
So sell it for cost sell 30 of them a day and have say $700 profit

PHOTOGLOU
09-20-2005, 09:35 PM
B.T.W. Tom this has got to be one of your more normal Threads :D

Tom Brown
09-20-2005, 09:36 PM
B.T.W. Tom this has got to be one of your more normal Threads :D
Noted! :D
I'll look into cranking the freak show back into high gear. :cool:

ROZ
09-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Big retail chains pay more up front for products and get advertizing an volume pricing on the backside... I compete with several "distributors" selling products to schools and gov't, and can't beat their pricing at times because I sell based on the higher initial p/o price...
BTW, I think these guys could kill 2 birds with one stone if someone created a vibrator/ mp3player combo...

Rexone
09-20-2005, 10:03 PM
My experience has been that if something is extrodinarily cheap there's a reason. Some hidden factor not in the equation. Let us know how it turns out.
Rex(alwaysskepticalofcheapshit)one

Rexone
09-20-2005, 10:07 PM
So Tom if a case of condoms was say $200 at Wall mart and you found a case on ebay for say $115 buy it now...... :D
Which would you buy (assuming of course you had a use for a case of condoms other than the water balloon launcher).

Tom Brown
09-20-2005, 10:09 PM
So Tom if a case of condoms was say $200 at Wall mart and you found a case on ebay for say $115 buy it now...... :D
Which would you buy (assuming of course you had a use for a case of condoms other than the water balloon launcher).
I'd go for a vasectomy, courtesy our free Canadian health care. :D

Creator
09-20-2005, 10:09 PM
If it's not specified as "New" it is most likely a refurb with no factory warranty, this will bring the price down as well.

Tom Brown
09-20-2005, 10:11 PM
If it's not specified as "New" it is most likely a refurb with no factory warranty, this will bring the price down as well.
New - unopened.
There were pages and pages of them. I bought it from an audio retailer in NY. There were other sellers with the same 'buy it now' price.

Phat Matt
09-20-2005, 10:17 PM
What's up with that?
Why do you suppose these small stores can sell these things so much cheaper than the retail giants?
Low overhead?

Rexone
09-20-2005, 10:19 PM
One possibility is MAP (minimum advertised pricing). We have some lines this applies to in automotive. The manufacturer makes any dealer or distributor forfeit various incentives if they advertise under a set retail price. What happens is the anononimity of the internet (and ebay) make it tough for the manufacturers to enforce their policies and ebay flourishes with cheaters on the MAP program.
We have this exact scenario with Hypertech programmers. Hypertech makes us advertise at $399 or risk losing numerous incentives. There are sites and ebay selling substantially under that. They are the obscure garage dealers or those hiding being internet names. We do price matching (which is allowable as no one can tell you what you can actually "sell" a product for) and still maintain our co-op, free freight, etc etc. But I can't run an ad or web price under $399 or I risk losing those things (which added up are substantial).
Might be the case here too, don't know.

C-2
09-20-2005, 10:23 PM
On ebay, like photoglou said, those shipping fees will get you every time. Pay close attention or you're gonna pay up the arse.
Don't some US sellers refuse to sell to Canadians? (seriously). I had a friend selling a motor and he refused any Northern bids. Why?

Creator
09-20-2005, 10:30 PM
On ebay, like photoglou said, those shipping fees will get you every time. Pay close attention or you're gonna pay up the arse.
This is definitely true. I was buying a pipe bender, Harbor freight had it for $129.00 found it on e-bay for $69.99 with a $59.00 shipping cost. I emailed the seller and asked if I could pick it up because they were within 30 miles of my place. I received an email back saying local p/u is ok but the price would be $129.00. I went to harbor freight.

C-2
09-20-2005, 10:46 PM
This is definitely true. I was buying a pipe bender, Harbor freight had it for $129.00 found it on e-bay for $69.99 with a $59.00 shipping cost. I emailed the seller and asked if I could pick it up because they were within 30 miles of my place. I received an email back saying local p/u is ok but the price would be $129.00. I went to harbor freight.
Yup, same here. Saw a bumper and the seller was in Glendale. I paid and figured he wouldn't try to charge me the $125 shipping fee if I offered to pick it up. WRONG, we negotiated a few times and I agreed to pay $40 and off to Armenia (Glendale) I drove. Guy had cash in his hands within two hours of the ebay sale.

Tom Brown
09-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Don't some US sellers refuse to sell to Canadians? (seriously).
I've never encountered anyone who wouldn't sell to me. I used to avoid sales that said, "US only" but a buddy of mine (veteran eBayer) said just ignore that and ask them if they'll ship to Canada. They always have.
I had a friend selling a motor and he refused any Northern bids. Why?
It makes sense on a large item. I bought an outboard engine in Ohio and had it shipped into Canada. It was no big deal but I could understand someone thinking it's a big deal.
Actually... it is a big deal but not for the seller.

Tom Brown
09-20-2005, 11:11 PM
One possibility is MAP (minimum advertised pricing). We have some lines this applies to in automotive. The manufacturer makes any dealer or distributor forfeit various incentives if they advertise under a set retail price. What happens is the anononimity of the internet (and ebay) make it tough for the manufacturers to enforce their policies and ebay flourishes with cheaters on the MAP program.
We have this exact scenario with Hypertech programmers. Hypertech makes us advertise at $399 or risk losing numerous incentives. There are sites and ebay selling substantially under that. They are the obscure garage dealers or those hiding being internet names. We do price matching (which is allowable as no one can tell you what you can actually "sell" a product for) and still maintain our co-op, free freight, etc etc. But I can't run an ad or web price under $399 or I risk losing those things (which added up are substantial).
Might be the case here too, don't know.
I'm glad I'm not in retail. I just ask that you keep treating me good and I'll leave that crap for you to take care of.

BajaMike
09-20-2005, 11:28 PM
The only player i would buy is an Ipod.....forget ebay...buy at Costco...they have a forever return policy....if you don't like it....return it.....
lots of previous threads on this....i returned a tv after 2 years...got a bigger better one for $200 less then the credit......cant beat costco.....and the ipod is the best..
FYI....the thunder and lightning is going off in Dana Point tonight......i love it!!!! :D

Jbb
09-21-2005, 06:31 AM
Be sure you open the package I sent you in a closed room .......Brown...... :devil:

Zeug
09-21-2005, 07:19 AM
New - I bought it from an audio retailer in NY.
There's the reason it was so cheap. Bought it from NY. (probably Brooklyn) NY has a large market of non-North American goods.
Different world markets usually have different pricing for the same item to make it competitive with local products. Also, current exchane rates may make an item even cheaper in a forien currency. Many vendors in NY buy non-North American goods at a lower rate and sell them for a profit in the US.
The manufacturers try to combat this by creating a North American product with service only available in the region it was sold to. You may want to make sure you get a US/Canadian Warranty.
Other than that and the fact that most of the NY discount stores dont have the greatest customer service they usually are a great deal.
I buy a lot of odd-ball stuff from the internet for work. In fact some days that seems like all I do. Last week I had to find some obsolete 42" plasma displays for a submarine contract we have. The last time they were made was in 2001. Of course everyone I call in Brooklyn says they can get it if the price is right. Only a few can actually follow through on thier promises. Sure enough, one shop brings 12 of them in from all over who knows where. I have to classify them as refurbished when i stock them because I cant document the chain of supply. Got to hand it to them though.
Kent

Essexive G's
09-21-2005, 07:26 AM
What's up with that?
Usually with small electronics they will have an older version with outdated firmware that is ridden with bugs.It is cheaper to dump those units at an auction house than to flash the firmware on X amount of units.
Good luck with it.

spectras only
09-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Tom , friend of mine is building a 35' canopy boat . It's ready for power , rigging etc....! He bought almost everything on ebay for it , ie; stelling exhaust . transom assy , trimpumps , minus the 572 engine we ordered for him . All the parts are new and warrantied , [ not rebuilt ] and were a lot cheaper than the going prices on the street .Also many dealers will sell for less ,when the unit isn't a current model [ who gives a rat's ass if it's one or two year old and brand new ? ] As you know about my fiasco with my drive , if I didn't have insurance ,I definitely would get my stuff on ebay and do the job myself. BTW , any of you guys had experience with the 6L Vortec marinized engine ? This unit came with the vortech s/c all polished , and fresh water cooling package. A fellow from the interior ordered it for a 21' jetboat [ should scream :D ] . It's a complete drop in unit , around 16K cdn . I've heard the truck guys had some piston slap with this engine . It could be great for a jetboat with loose tolerances :D :D
here's the link for this Kodiak engine >
http://www.kemequipment.com/superchargedvortec6000.html

Jbb
09-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Small block......jetboat........ :p

spectras only
09-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Small block......jetboat........ :p
Hey Jbb , what's wrong with sb ? Almost all the alu guys run sb's here . Ask canuck1 :wink:

Jbb
09-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Hey Jbb , what's wrong with sb ? Almost all the alu guys run sb's here . Ask canuck1 :wink:
Well thats true...the only one I have ever seen here was a little .....16 or 17 ft vee bottom in aluminum came from New Zealand...It had a stout small block in it and hauled ass.....

spectras only
09-21-2005, 09:05 AM
This 6L engine puts out 502 HP and 455 footpound of torque .

Tom Brown
09-21-2005, 09:16 AM
This 6L engine puts out 502 HP and 455 footpound of torque .
That should put him in the mid 40s. :cool:

Jbb
09-21-2005, 09:30 AM
That should put him in the mid 40s. :cool:
Which would be what......22-23 mph faster than the glasstrout.... :p

Tom Brown
09-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Which would be what......22-23 mph faster than the glasstrout.... :p
Let's get back on topic. Prices...

NorCal Gameshow
09-21-2005, 12:44 PM
There's the reason it was so cheap. Bought it from NY. (probably Brooklyn) NY has a large market of non-North American goods.
Different world markets usually have different pricing for the same item to make it competitive with local products. Also, current exchane rates may make an item even cheaper in a forien currency. Many vendors in NY buy non-North American goods at a lower rate and sell them for a profit in the US.
The manufacturers try to combat this by creating a North American product with service only available in the region it was sold to. You may want to make sure you get a US/Canadian Warranty.
Kent
That sounds about right... way back when, I bought a cannondale frame and built a bike. A couple weeks later the same model but, complete bike shows up at costco for about what I paid for just the frame. the oversees shipment was somehow diverted back and sold to costco.
cannondale wasn't happy and wouldn't warranty the bikes sold from costco....(like costco would care:rolleyes: )

Debbolas
09-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Noted! :D
I'll look into cranking the freak show back into high gear. :cool:
;) Yeah! Say something funny! :rolleyes:
MP3?
Don't you want a Ipod? or a shuffle?

Tom Brown
09-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Don't you want a Ipod? or a shuffle?
I had an iPod mini for a while. It served me well but was too big for jogging and I didn't like it for biking. ... so I got a Samsung Yepp YP-5V and much prefer the form factor. This one I just received is a Yepp YP-MT6Z... the younger brother of the YP-5 series.
I'll get another iPod one of these days but I don't have a bunch of use for one right now. The only time I listen to music these days is when I'm working out.
The package arrived and provided a couple of points of interest. First, it wasn't packaged like the North American product. Inside a small brown box was a 6"x10" ziplock bag that contained everything, including the manual. It was all just chucked in there. There was a dot matrix printed sticker on the bag indicating the model. The North American version comes in a big clear plastic box with glossy inserts to hide the accessories and make it all look pretty. This was as generic as packaging could be. The contents were identical to the North American version, though.
Also, the box was stamped REFURBISHED. I have no doubt the box had never been opened, someone just stamped REFURBISHED on the side in a non-prominent position. I suspect the situation is exactly as Zeug has described.
I'm totally happy with it and I'm happy to have saved over a hundred bucks.
With regard to the outdated BIOS... that sounds exactly like the first Yepp I bought about a year ago. I picked it up at BestBuy and it had a 14 month old BIOS on it and the encoder didn't work properly. After flashing the firmware, it worked perfectly so it wasn't a big deal. The BIOS on this thing is less than 60 days. I haven't been able to find anything newer so I think it's completely current.

Debbolas
09-23-2005, 03:15 PM
OMG!!
My daughter has a Apple laptop and just bought a 'refurbished' printer from them. That means someone returned it (I believe) It is a lot cheaper than the new version and...........dam, I hate getting old, I don't remember if it comes with a warranty or not....she was happy to get it. I remember thinking , we need to go shopping at that store for the refurbished items ;)
I 'borrowed' my middle daughters ipod for work today (because I was filing) it was very cool, I like the finger scroll down feature...but it is kinda big and heavy. I don't need THAT many songs, I would be happy with like 30, so I think I get one of my kids MP3 players they don't use anymore....I just have to have them show me how to download the music, and how do you pay for it?

Tom Brown
09-23-2005, 03:18 PM
....I just have to have them show me how to download the music, and how do you pay for it?
There is a single up-front licensing fee included in the price of the player. After that, you are free to download all the music you like. :)

Debbolas
09-23-2005, 03:20 PM
There is a single up-front licensing fee included in the price of the player. After that, you are free to download all the music you like. :)
No way :confused:
Then what is the .92cent charge on all the music on msn for? :confused:

Tom Brown
09-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Then what is the .92cent charge on all the music on msn for? :confused:
That's how Bill Gates funds the Microsoft dental plan. Don't fall for that scam.
Feel free to use download all you wish.

Debbolas
09-23-2005, 03:24 PM
and they won't show up at my door to arrest me?
I just CAN'T go to jail at my age :rolleyes:
Cool, thank you Tom Brown :D