PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Ford, FE 360 Trk Mtr.

Moneypitt
09-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Anyone have a 360 Ford truck "runner" in their garage?? I need one "very" reasonably priced in the greater LA, Ventura county, areas.. OR, someone with a hitch that can take me and my boat to Needles, Tuesday...Like tomorrow!!!!! I can come get a good runner 360....Ray, 805 498 6531..I KNOW somebody's got an "old 360 runner" collecting dust...............I have a 428 running core to trade..............

Squirtin Thunder
09-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Ray,
What am I missing ???

Moneypitt
09-21-2005, 01:43 PM
As I was pulling out for Needles last night, lifters started rattling. and sure enough, no oil pressure. I think it sheared another oil pump drive shaft. I was only 2 miles down the road, so I was able to get the boat and truck towed home. I checked the oil this morning and once again it is over full which I believe can be blamed on the fuel pump dumping gas into the pan......New pumps, both oil and fuel, and of course a new oil drive, since it did this last time, about 6 months ago....Now I would like to slam a runner in it while I fix ( rod and Main bearings) the 428...........Ray

Squirtin Thunder
09-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Sorry to hear !!! I will keep my eye open for one !!!

Moneypitt
09-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Jim, I took today off, didn't want to mess with the truck. Tomorrow morning I'll pull it again and start the repair. I need to devise a way to check the f/pump diaphram for leaks. So another new oil pump, drive and throw in the bearings this time. Really pisses me off, as usual it was running real good just before it took a dump. At least I'm not stressing to get ready for a race, so I'll just take my time and try for BHC next week............Also, anyone have a complete, rebuildable, 1850 holley? ...Ray

dave186
09-21-2005, 06:11 PM
i have one, but its still in a truck and its here in idaho. :hammer2:

Moneypitt
09-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Well thanks, but that is a bit far, and my truck aint runnin' right now. I may be interested in the future though........Ray

Squirtin Thunder
09-21-2005, 06:41 PM
I know that it could be shipped !!!
Or a tag team shipment could probably be set up ????
IU will help if I can Ray !!!

Moneypitt
09-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks Jim, but the first step is still to get the 428 out, inspect, and re assemble if feasable, Probably quickest fix. If something is hurt, then I'll be forced to re think the future plans for this old F250............Ray

Norseman
09-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks Jim, but the first step is still to get the 428 out, inspect, and re assemble if feasable, Probably quickest fix. If something is hurt, then I'll be forced to re think the future plans for this old F250............Ray
Ray;
I'm curious what year is the truck??
Bob

Squirtin Thunder
09-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Not to step on Ray's toes but it is a sweet '68 F250. It has a few scratches but real nice other wise. It is that cool Olive color. Ya know it blends in with anything.

DansBlown73Nordic
09-22-2005, 06:17 PM
I had a 74 Ford with a 460. It would shear off the oil pump drive every so often..... :hammerhea I sold that prick and will never own another FORD ever again. :crossx: :crossx:

Squirtin Thunder
09-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Ray I heard that Dave is coming down this way. Actually to the Stockton area. I am sure we could work a deal with Slotracer till I can pick it up and bring it here.

dave186
09-22-2005, 09:18 PM
yes, im coming down for halloroost. but i talked to my buddy that gave me the parts truck and the motor has a milkshake problem. he doesnt think its good, but doesnt know the condition for sure. i pulled the intake off of it (edelbrock) and didnt see anything obvious, but thats all the farther i got.

Moneypitt
09-23-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm still in "taking it apart" mode. If its terminal, well I know where to bury it, and no its not insured, but I hope to make it right again. It's all part of the difference between "show room" shit, and real stuff. If you own "showroom shit", be it a truck or a boat, you know what you have........I know what I have, and all the money in the world won't get YOU one, cause if all your money could buy it, I wouldn't want it.......MP
Wasn't there a thread about what makes something "custom"?????????
How many 68 Hydroflite hydros are out there? How many 69 Tahiti jets??

DansBlown73Nordic
09-23-2005, 04:12 AM
MP I sold a 74 Ford pick-up a few years ago. It had a rebuilt 390 in it. I bored it .030 with Hyp. pistons.Long story but the motor only had 10,000 miles because it was out of a wrecked 74 pick-up that was wrecked in 75. I wanted to rebilud it because it sat for 20 years in a barn. The machine shop bored it by mistake.... :crossx:
The guy I sold the truck to drove it a couple years and then parked it in his yard. It can't have 20,000 miles on it maybe. If you want I can see what he wants for it. Shipping may not be that bad. I have a connection.... :)

Norseman
09-23-2005, 04:24 AM
Not to step on Ray's toes but it is a sweet '68 F250. It has a few scratches but real nice other wise. It is that cool Olive color. Ya know it blends in with anything.
68 is a nice looking truck!! And you guys out on the west coast don't have that terminal rust problem we do here in NY....

Squirtin Thunder
09-23-2005, 11:42 AM
68 is a nice looking truck!! And you guys out on the west coast don't have that terminal rust problem we do here in NY....
I have a special conection to Rays truck. When and if Ray desides to get rid of it I may have to grab it. My wife may not be too happy but I will be !!!

GUGS102
09-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I've got a 390 short block that ran fine when I pulled it. Came out of a 70 f250 I had. With a clean up. It would be okay. No heads but it sounds like you have that handled.
Motor is in Tucson.
Gugs

Moneypitt
09-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Many thanks to all you guys. I hit a roadblock in my quest to remove and inspect the lower end. Should be back on it tomorrow morning.....MP

Squirtin Thunder
09-23-2005, 04:45 PM
I've got a 390 short block that ran fine when I pulled it. Came out of a 70 f250 I had. With a clean up. It would be okay. No heads but it sounds like you have that handled.
Motor is in Tucson.
Gugs
I could always shoot down and pic it up for you Ray !!!

Moneypitt
09-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Well. here I go again. Another oil pump shaft, twisted so tight it became to short to reach.......Fuel pump was new, but seems like some pretty gassy oil. Pulled a couple of rod caps, top sides are coppered, but the crank looks OK. I found more valve seal rubber pieces in the pan, but nothing in the pump pick up. I think the heads are headed for a valve/seal job, and rod and main bearings for the lower end. And what is up with fuel pumps leaking fuel into the oil?? OK, the first one had some miles on it, but this one was less than 6 months old. Maybe its time for an electric pump, I don't want to do this shit again in 6 months......Other than this recuring problem the truck runs great. Not the best mileage wise, but plenty of power/torque. I really didn't want to pull the crank for mains, but with the block design of these FE fords I think it would be the easiest, and I guess a valve job won't hurt it either. Unless I find some crank problem tomorrow, thats my plans...............Thanks to all that voiced in with help. If anyone has an insight to this oil drive deal, please educate me!!!!...........Ray

Squirtin Thunder
09-25-2005, 01:48 AM
Well. here I go again. Another oil pump shaft, twisted so tight it became to short to reach.......Fuel pump was new, but seems like some pretty gassy oil. Pulled a couple of rod caps, top sides are coppered, but the crank looks OK. I found more valve seal rubber pieces in the pan, but nothing in the pump pick up. I think the heads are headed for a valve/seal job, and rod and main bearings for the lower end. And what is up with fuel pumps leaking fuel into the oil?? OK, the first one had some miles on it, but this one was less than 6 months old. Maybe its time for an electric pump, I don't want to do this shit again in 6 months......Other than this recuring problem the truck runs great. Not the best mileage wise, but plenty of power/torque. I really didn't want to pull the crank for mains, but with the block design of these FE fords I think it would be the easiest, and I guess a valve job won't hurt it either. Unless I find some crank problem tomorrow, thats my plans...............Thanks to all that voiced in with help. If anyone has an insight to this oil drive deal, please educate me!!!!...........Ray
Ray,
First off what type or brand fuel pump ??? Had the same problem with discout type auto parts stores fuel pumps years ago. Buy a good Carter and be done with it. Second is it a stock type oil pump ??? I never had that happen but did spin the pin on the gear many times.
Jim

Moneypitt
09-25-2005, 07:52 AM
1st, any fuel pump I put back on will not be connected to the motor, PERIOD! 2nd it was a stock melling replacement oil pump and shaft from PAW. The other oil pump was a Mellings HV which put so much oil in the top of the motor I was fouling plugs thru the valve seals. This problem went away with the stocker. I'm looking this morning to see if I can change the bearings without pulling the heads. I think if I pull the balancer I can raise the crank enough to remove and replace the mains, then the rods. I really don't want to make a big project out of this engine, I need it back on the road by Monday as I have a bunch of other stuff going on right now, including the return trip to BHC that was interupted. So far, it looks like I can do it from the bottom, even though the crank is deep in the block, un like a chevy. After it's running again, then I can look around for a replacement and be able to haul it home........I really don't need a 428 in this old truck, a good running 360/390 will be more than enough to do what I do with this truck, maybe even with a 2 barrel carb and better than 10 MPG...........Ray

Squirtin Thunder
09-25-2005, 07:59 AM
I have done it in the the truck on a few Fords, Bronco (351M) and '70 F100 2wd (360). Didn't pull the balancer. I removed all the main caps and used plastic punches to tap the bearing half out, new slide in easy.

Moneypitt
09-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Well the mains are in. Ordered Rod bearings, T/chain, oil pump and drive, they will be into the T.O. PAW on Monday. Chain was quite loose, F seal was leaking, and the water pump didn't feel or sound good either, so may as well fix it all while its out......Clevite lists 3 different main sets, same rods. Different years, even a Chriscraft 427 call out. I matched the numbers on the thrust and inserts and came up with what was in it. (I have no idea what year this thing is). I imagine the chain was costing me at least 3 degrees of cam timing.......I'll be installing an electric pump back under the tank selector switch, no more oil in the gas!!............Jim, when I see you in BHC I'll have a PAW "Ford" only catalog for you............Ray

Squirtin Thunder
09-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Cool !!!
thanks
Jim

09-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Ray, Change the oil pump pick up as there is crap like broken valve stem seals and/or timing chain nylon teeth [if you still have the stock top sproket] getting thru the screen and seizing the pump, thats why your pump drive looks like a barber pole.

Moneypitt
09-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Yep, thats what I thought the first time, but nope, not then, not now. Ultra clean inside from the gas polluted oil passing through it, right up until it siezed. Back flushed the pick up with solvent and air, nothing, not even lint! I am 100% sure what murdered the pump,and twisted the shaft. Gas in the oil...gauled gears and cover..........MP
PS, Steel upper gear........

obnoxious001
09-26-2005, 10:25 AM
A friend of mine in Glendale(CA, not AZ) just wrote me yesterday that he has a ton of stuff to get rid of, including a low miles 390 FE with C6 trans. Apparently he has too much stuff to move with him, so it might be a deal. He also has a 460 that is apart, a 350 4 bolt Chevy, and a 54 1/2 Ford PU, ready for restoration.

Moneypitt
09-26-2005, 06:53 PM
001, check your PMs.........MP