PDA

View Full Version : Another death

wanna B V
09-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Kind of another warning- A friend called me this morning-he got a call from his girlfriend. Her ex was at the River this past weekend with friends. They had sucked up some junk at the sandbar into their intake. He was sitting on the swimstep while they were going at slow speed, due to partial throtle. The driver turned around and he was gone. His body surfaced 30 min later-carbon monoxide poisioning...... sux to hear about that happening to anybody.....

JetBoatRich
09-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Sad news :(
sitting on the back of the swim steps with the engine running :(

ShutYaPieHole
09-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Sad very sad.........I saw this happen a couple of years ago at black meadows campground.

DJ Sound Technique
09-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Damn that is terrible, hate to heat it

bunny 166
09-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Oh how sad....I am so sorry.... :(

Jordy
09-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Was this down at Martinez??? There was a post over on GlamisDunes.com about something that sounded similar. Very sad as the guy, if it's the same one, was married with a 4 year old. :( :( :(

Mrs. Restless22
09-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Thats so sad :(
Even though people have been warned over and over not to do this, why do they still do it?
I feel for his family. :( :(

Mrs.Racer277
09-21-2005, 08:53 AM
Was this down at Martinez??? There was a post over on GlamisDunes.com about something that sounded similar. Very sad as the guy, if it's the same one, was married with a 4 year old. :( :( :(
I heard about that last night. Very sad. :frown:

wanna B V
09-21-2005, 09:03 AM
does anyone have a link to a local news article about this? It does sound like that was the one.

Magic34
09-21-2005, 09:06 AM
:frown:
http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/publish/articles/story_19275.php

wanna B V
09-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Magic34, thanks

NOTALENT
09-21-2005, 09:15 AM
wow that is sad......under no circumstance do I let people sit on the swim steps while running..Escpecailly since all the Carbon Monoxide deaths have been occuring...I can smell it out of my exhaust enough to realize it can do damage when idling...

BarryMac
09-21-2005, 09:15 AM
I was there and saw the Helicopters, the stories were very dicey on Sunday Morning, I'm sad to hear this news. Are thoughts and prayers are with his family...

Miss Perfect
09-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Wow, so sad. :frown:

Jordy
09-21-2005, 09:30 AM
I can smell it out of my exhaust enough to realize it can do damage when idling...
You can smell carbon monoxide??? :confused: :notam:

NOTALENT
09-21-2005, 09:34 AM
You can smell carbon monoxide??? :confused: :notam:
typed wrong I meant u can smell the exhuast..Carbon Monoxide doesnt have a smell..I can smell the exhaust which is strong enough to make you cough and feel sick...well to some people who arent use to it...
Boat is running great now though.... :D Thanks to Atomickitn

HocusPocus
09-21-2005, 10:29 AM
thats too bad.. its hard to imagine all those people on the boat and no one saw him fall into the water.

JetBoatRich
09-21-2005, 10:32 AM
thats too bad.. its hard to imagine all those people on the boat and no one saw him fall into the water.
I was thinking the same thing :mad:

JetBoatRich
09-21-2005, 10:45 AM
How long do you have to sit there in the exhaust to pass out and die? Seems like it would take awhile.
he passed out and fell in the water :mad: then drowned

Boatcop
09-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Depending on the concentration of CO you inhale, it can take only 1 breath to cause loss of consciousness and/or death.

Man-de-lone
09-21-2005, 11:03 AM
These are friends of friends. They were asking me if there was any news. Thanks for the update.... :(

JetBoatRich
09-21-2005, 11:05 AM
These are friends of friends. They were asking me if there was any news. Thanks for the update.... :(
sorry to hear that, not a good way to find out

Man-de-lone
09-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Both guys (the driver and the missing man) on the boat worked at the Chevy dealer in Kearny Mesa. I had met them, to get my wheels serviced, but was not friends of em. Be careful out there....

termiteguy
09-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Depending on the concentration of CO you inhale, it can take only 1 breath to cause loss of consciousness and/or death.
thanks boat cop i often in the early morning let the boat idle to warm up while
i attach the ski rope to transom.i guess that will not be done any more!

riverbound
09-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I do admit that it it is sad that his son will grow up without a dad, but in all reality COME ON. Why would anyone in their right mind ride on the swimstep of a boat while its running. That is just plain stupid. I dont feel sorry for the guy that died I feel sorry for everyone else that is affected by his stupidity. People who boat need to use more common sense. If anyone were to ever to try and sit on the swim step of my boat while I was driving would get left at the closest dock and would not be invited back. Again I am very sorry for the family that was left behind.

Water Romper
09-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Same thing happened in the cannel (Havasu) few years ago
A group was having a good time, they let the boat idle (while parked) to crank up the tunes…..
Hour later, “Where is so and so”????
19 year old girl dead, found floating about 30 feet away, 2 feet under the surface. Driver arrested for involuntary manslaughter, the boat impounded…
When the dust cleared, all were let go and released, was found to be “accidental death by carbon monoxide”
Very sad. :(

ECeptor
09-21-2005, 05:12 PM
I think the vast majority of boaters have no clue about this danger. I've been through HazMat training including confined space training but I never though laying on a swim platform on a boat that WAS NOT running wouldn't be dangerous until I heard about that death at Perry Lake July 4, 2004.
Lots of ways to kill yourself or others on the water. End of the day, it's 100% the driver and boat owner's responsibility!
Stay safe and spread the word! If you see someone doing something lethally stupid say something!

Debbolas
09-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Very sad.....it doesn't take long. At Lake Powell they run these ads on TV about NOT letting your children swim under the swim step on the back of the houseboat. IT is so dangerous...they tested the air and it would only take 3 seconds to receive a fatel dose. (when the generator was running)
Everone please be careful

bohica
09-21-2005, 07:33 PM
I do admit that it it is sad that his son will grow up without a dad, but in all reality COME ON. Why would anyone in their right mind ride on the swimstep of a boat while its running. That is just plain stupid. I dont feel sorry for the guy that died I feel sorry for everyone else that is affected by his stupidity. People who boat need to use more common sense. If anyone were to ever to try and sit on the swim step of my boat while I was driving would get left at the closest dock and would not be invited back. Again I am very sorry for the family that was left behind.
You have every right to your opinions, but your post really pisses me off. Stupidity or just un-informed, this guy, Allen Cole, did not deserve to die. One good breath of CO is all it takes, and unfortunately it happened to him. I'm sure his family and friends will probably read this board, he happened to be very active in the glamisdunes.com board. That's the last kind of shit they need to read about. Show some class, we don't need opinions like that. :mad:

unleashed
09-21-2005, 07:55 PM
There are alot of misinformed and uneducated boat drivers that are unaware of this problem. It is a deadly killer. To say you dont feel sorry for the guy is your opinion but you should keep it to yourself. This guy was a very down to earth person just like everyone on this board. He was an avid duner and posts on Glamisdunes.com and got a chance to hit the river for some R & R. Maybe we are just different kind of people but I wholeheartdly feel sorry for the dude and his family just like I would feel sorry for you if you slipped on the launch ramp and hit your head and died....I wouldnt put blame cause you should have known the launch ramp was slippery! Carbon Monoxide is one of the most dangerous killers and most motorhomes and trailers come with alarms, boats dont that is why mfg's are finally starting to warn people of these dangers. Alot of people are misinformed thinking being in the open air gets rid of the fumes but it doesnt. This is just an unfortunate mishap and I hope to goodness people learn from it. You seem like a pretty cool dude on the boards so maybe you just worded what you were trying to say wrong?? :confused:
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

OutCole'd
09-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Put me into the category of boaters that had NO IDEA someone could be rendered unconcious from carbon monoxide so quickly. I will file away this bit of information and, hopefully, it will help me or someone else avert a future tragedy.
You're not alone on this. :(
Terrible news.

BigDoug
09-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Here's another story that happened in the channel last year to a friend of mine, as he's travelling through the channel he passes out and his g/f took over the steering wheel, didn't know what to do, she drove the boat obviously and was scared, she couldn't tend to her boyfriend !! as they cleared the channel on the north end he woke up and started vomiting all over his boat.When he told me the story i told him they were testing in the channel now, he didn't realize there was so much cabon monoxide in the channel. This all happened in open air while traversing the channel, who would've ever thought that !!..

ECeptor
09-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Here's another story that happened in the channel last year to a friend of mine, as he's travelling through the channel he passes out and his g/f took over the steering wheel, didn't know what to do, she drove the boat obviously and was scared, she couldn't tend to her boyfriend !! as they cleared the channel on the north end he woke up and started vomiting all over his boat.When he told me the story i told him they were testing in the channel now, he didn't realize there was so much cabon monoxide in the channel. This all happened in open air while traversing the channel, who would've ever thought that !!..
CO poisoning while driving? Damn! Maybe these typical 15-25mph Kansas winds are such a bad thing after all!
Back to some other comments. I think the key here is so many people are ignorant to the threat...they simply don't know about it. So, they are innocent victims. Knowing about a threat and still putting yourself is stupidity defined and that does not cover what has happened here.
Education for boaters on this issue is the only solution!

Water Romper
09-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Considering this thread seems to actually be taken seriously…
I have a dumb question…. :confused:
Do certain boats emit larger quantities of Carbon Monoxide ( CO) than others? Would a 2 stroke Merc Black Max put out the same CO than say a Big Block inboard? Would the “Ski Natique” type boats be dangerous to all passengers because the center-mounted motor?
These may seem like trivial questions but if our fellow boating peeps are dropping dead because boaters are unaware of the dangers…this could help out… :clover:
Forum thoughts?

ECeptor
09-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Considering this thread seems to actually be taken seriously…
I have a dumb question…. :confused:
Do certain boats emit larger quantities of Carbon Monoxide ( CO) than others? Would a 2 stroke Merc Black Max put out the same CO than say a Big Block inboard? Would the “Ski Natique” type boats be dangerous to all passengers because the center-mounted motor?
These may seem like trivial questions but if our fellow boating peeps are dropping dead because boaters are unaware of the dangers…this could help out… :clover:
Forum thoughts?
CO formation is primarily a function of the air/fuel ratio. Diesels are inherently very "lean" and therefore emit very little CO (but not have other bad emissions). Leaning out a high performance engine increases the threat of detonation (pinging) which is very damaging, therefore they tend to run more rich than lean to be on the safe side. Newer EFI engine should be cleaner due to better control of the A/F ratio. I think a typical 2 stroke has much more emissions than a comparable technology 4 stroke. I'm not sure how a carb'd 4 stroke would compare to an EFI 2 stroke.
Typically, the larger and higher performance the engine the more emissions it would put out. Best case would be a bone stock engine, imho.

ECeptor
09-22-2005, 01:39 PM
If two strokes emit less emissions, why are they outlawing them in favor of four strokes?
If I said that my fingers were going faster than my brain. I thought I said a carb'd 2 stroke puts out more emissions than a carb'd 4 stroke. Similarly an EFI 2 stroke would put out more than a similar tech and tuned EFI 4 stroke. I haven't seen data on a carb'd 4 stroke vs an EFI 2 stroke so I can't honesty answer that.
But all spark ignition gas engines put out enough CO to snuff a person out...

Magic34
09-22-2005, 01:40 PM
Alot of people are misinformed thinking being in the open air gets rid of the fumes but it doesnt. This is just an unfortunate mishap and I hope to goodness people learn from it.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:
You would think after something like this that it wouldn't be a good idea.
However, who would have honestly thought that while the boat is in motion at idle that you would have to worry about that? You are on top of the fumes, not behind them letting the boat drag you.
I would have thought that with the motion of moving forward, however slow it may be, would be enought clean air to keep it safe. Obiviously, that is not true.
You could only imagine what his family must be going through. :frown:

Boatcop
09-22-2005, 02:36 PM
You would think after something like this that it wouldn't be a good idea.
However, who would have honestly thought that while the boat is in motion at idle that you would have to worry about that? You are on top of the fumes, not behind them letting the boat drag you.
I would have thought that with the motion of moving forward, however slow it may be, would be enought clean air to keep it safe. Obiviously, that is not true.
You could only imagine what his family must be going through. :frown:
A boat going slow creates what's known as the "Station Wagon Effect". The slope of the boat and any windscreen causes a low pressure effect in the passenger area. This sucks the exhaust fumes and CO forward into direct contact with passengers. At higher speeds, greater than 10 MPH, the boat is out pacing the fumes, and the breeze caused by forward motion keeps the boat ahead of the fumes.
2 stroke engines burn oil along with the fuel, creating the haze and smoke outboards and PWCs are famous for. However with their relatively small displacement combustion chamber, they create less CO than 4 strokes. The bigger the cylinder, the more CO is created.
You can't see it, smell it, or taste it. And the amount of smoke coming out with exhaust has no bearing on the amount of CO. Clean burning & "emmission friendly" engines produce nearly as much CO as one that is older and not maintained. The only device that scrubs CO from engine exhaust is a catalytic converter, which the marine industry is working on. However with the tremendous heat they require, the current technology doesn't fair well in the marine environment.
CO will not be created by a non-running engine, as someone mentioned before. However the CO can linger in the area of the boat after the engine is shut off.
There have been several deaths related to CO poisoning from sitting on the swim step. One was a 9 year old boy in the LHC channel several years ago. Sitting on the transom with feet on the swimstep. Mom and Dad were not paying attention and allowed him to remove his lifejacket because "we were going slow". He quietly slipped into the water after he passed out. The body was found a week later.
Similar story a few years before that in the Keys, here in Parker. Luckily some people on a dock saw what happened and dove in and got the kid up before he drowned.

round guy
09-23-2005, 06:30 PM
hello everyone,
this is my first post and a very hard one i was the driver of the boat that allen was on and none of anyone knows the pain i am feeling. about the loss of such a good friend. all the people that was in our group searched for allen for two days.on my boat were his wife,son,my wire,son and my brother in-law and one in the boato f course allen. if i or anyone in my boat thought there was any danger no on including allen would have let the situation continue i have seen many many people do what he was doing. no one knows the pain i feel about the loss of such a great friend. please pray for all that are feeling this huge loss.

coolchange
09-23-2005, 06:44 PM
I only knew him as a poster on GD.com. always a participater on the boards. Sometimes things just sneak up on you. Prayers to you and the family. Always sucks to hear of this stuff especially when someones out enjoying life.
-Bruce aka rightshift

JetBoatRich
09-23-2005, 07:15 PM
hello everyone,
this is my first post and a very hard one i was the driver of the boat that allen was on and none of anyone knows the pain i am feeling. about the loss of such a good friend. all the people that was in our group searched for allen for two days.on my boat were his wife,son,my wire,son and my brother in-law and one in the boato f course allen. if i or anyone in my boat thought there was any danger no on including allen would have let the situation continue i have seen many many people do what he was doing. no one knows the pain i feel about the loss of such a great friend. please pray for all that are feeling this huge loss.
Took strength to come on here and talk about a terrible event, our heart goes out to the family for a great loss of a husband and father

Mohave Vice
09-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Prayers to family and friends! Let's all be careful!